Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does the Circumvesuviana Ever Go on Strike? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-the-circumvesuviana-ever-go-on-strike-629315/)

DawnK Jul 8th, 2006 09:29 AM

Does the Circumvesuviana Ever Go on Strike?

Are strikes ever called for the Circumvesuviana line? If so, would any local strike also involve the Circumvesuviana? Thanks

ira Jul 8th, 2006 10:17 AM

Hi Dawn,

Is this a theoretical question, a research question, a rhetorical question? :)

I'm sure that at some time or other every business in Italy has had its employee(s) go on strike.

((I))

willit Jul 8th, 2006 11:33 AM

I would say almost certainly. I know there have been some rail services where there is a guaranteed minimum service even in the event of a strike, I am not sure this would apply to the Circumvesuviana.

DawnK Jul 8th, 2006 12:16 PM

I've been following "Seek Italy" website for about nine months now and have never seen a strike called for the Circumvesuviana specifically. So I was wondering if they strike when other "local transportation" go on strike. Thanks

GeoffHamer Jul 8th, 2006 01:38 PM

The fist time I went to Italy, in the late 1970s, the Circumvesuviana was on strike the morning I wanted to go from Napoli to Sorrento (FS main line trains were running normally). Trains were due to resume in the afternoon, but I went by boat via Capri instead, which was much more interesting. Why worry about everything that might go wrong? If your itinerary is flexible, you can get round local difficulties.

miaspapa Jul 8th, 2006 04:17 PM

We asked people who were traveling on the train and they told us Tuesday are the most likely days for train strikes.

SeaUrchin Jul 8th, 2006 04:36 PM

yes, it does go on strike, I found out the hard way.

DawnK Jul 9th, 2006 05:05 AM

So can I find out before I arrive in Italy if the Circumvesviana is going to be on strike? Thanks for all of your input.

SeaUrchin Jul 9th, 2006 08:29 AM

You can keep checking this site on a computer:
www.slowtrav.com/italy/planning/strikes.htm

Don't expect anyone to volunteer the information, either at your hotel or on any local transportation. From my experience you are on your own unless you make personal contacts with someone in the know.

DawnK Jul 9th, 2006 09:15 AM

Hi SeaUrchin,

I have bookmarked the SlowTravel Site you recommended. On that page "Summer In Italy" website shows a strike being called for July 9 for Trenitalia 9-5. "What's On In Rome" & "Seek Italy" website do not list that strike. Is there going to be a strike on July 9? How do travelers deal with this conflicting information? All three websites list a strike for July 19, one site indicates it is a national strike of public transportation, the other two state it is a local strike. Does that mean that it will involve Trenitalia or just local transportation?
Why would hotels and transportation personel withhold information of a strike?
Back to my orginal question, would Circumvesuviana go on strike when a local strike is called? Thanks so much.

SeaUrchin Jul 9th, 2006 09:27 AM

Hi Dawnk, your question is one of the ages. Why? It is Italy. We are constantly smilingly amazed at their reasoning.

I have checked out of a room, asked for and got directions to the train station, lugged luggage over there only to find a national strike. I don't know if there are so many srikes the personnel just quit checking or what, which is odd when they are dealing with tourists. But other than inquiring all the time I don't see what else you can do.

Different people will give you definite answers with a straight face. I was told they answer whether they know the information for certain or not just because they don't want to appear ignorant about your question and want to give you some answer to help you.

I think the best idea is to keep asking someone at your hotel who seems to be the most knowledgable.

Good luck and have fun! Italy is special and I love it anyway.

DawnK Jul 9th, 2006 10:19 AM

Hi Ira,
This is a research question. My husband & I are traveling to Italy in Oct. for two weeks. We fly into Rome, take the express train to the Rome Termini, get the train to Naples, and then get the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. I will be relying upon the Circumvesuviana for the local transportation to Herculeaneum & Naples and back to Pompeii. I just wanted to get an idea of which strikes affect that line so I can go to websites such as "Seek Italy" and "Enjoy Rome" to check up on the status of any strikes for my travel dates. I want to have Plan B in the event of a strike. BTW, Ira, you have povided much help in planning my trip to Italy. Thanks

ParadiseLost Jul 9th, 2006 10:28 AM

Dawn, I might be misunderstanding your question but here goes :).

AFAIK: If an Italian website says 'Trasporto Pubblico Locale' it means local public transportation like buses, metro, trams and non-FS/Trenitalia local trains.
And unless a specific city is mentioned it will be a nationwide strike.

I would assume the Circumvesuviana would fall into that strike category as it now uses the same tickets as the buses, metro and local trains in and around Naples.
It definitely won't strike with the FS/Trenitalia trains.

Here's an Official Italian transportation strike website (in Italian fairly easy to figure out; FS is Trenitalia, ENAV is Air Traffic Controllers).

www.infrastrutturetrasporti.it/ click-on 'Calendario Scioperi Nazionali'. Regards, Walter

SeaUrchin Jul 9th, 2006 11:06 AM

Listen to Walter!

It has been my experience that some local transportation goes out in "sympathy" with the other strikers. What I was trying to tell you is nothing is written in stone except that which is actually written in stone.

You can get to the station and it may be shut. You always have to have Plans B and C and maybe D.

DawnK Jul 9th, 2006 12:33 PM

Hi Walter,

Yes, you have answered my question. If I see a local strike for transportation in the Naples area, then it will, most likely, include the Circumvesviana line. Thanks for the link to the the official Italian transportation site. I have bookmarked that link. I would, also, like to take this opportunity to thank you for all of you informative, wonderful posts on ancient Rome. Your post on Herculaneum & Villa Poppea are one of the reasons why I need the Circumvesuviana. I had never heard of Villa Poppea until I read your post, but after reading about it I realized that I had to include that site in my intinerary. Thanks, again.