Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does the Budapest Public Transport ticket include travel to the airport?

Dec 14th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

We are traveling to Budapest after Christmas (on the 27th) and will be staying at the Novotel Budapest Danube directly across from Parliament. There will be 2 adults and 2 children so we were planning to buy the Family ticket listed here http://www.budapestinfo.org/public_transport.html. It says all trains, trams, buses, etc.. "within the boundaries of Budapest" are covered. Does anyone know for certain if that includes the transfer to/from the airport?

From what I've read, we could hop on the 200E bus to get to the M3 metro (Blue line?). We could then continue on that until we transfer to the Red Metro line to take us across to the Buda side. That looks like it stops about 2 blocks from our hotel.

Does that sound about right? We just want to make sure the entire trip is covered by the Transportation Card.

Thanks!
Dec 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Yes, it is covered. Your problem might be buying the card in the airport as AFAIK you can only purchase them at the post office. This is hidden away on the second floor some way from arrivals.
Dec 14th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks willit. I'll have to check out if I can buy it at the airport. I've seen people say to buy the bus ticket at the airport and then to buy the Transportation Card at the metro station. Should we definitely be able to get the pass at any metro station?
Dec 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone confirm that the family pass is still an option? It is listed on the website I mentioned above, but I can't find it on the www.bkv.hu site.
Dec 15th, 2013, 02:52 AM

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that - it didn't apply to us, so we really didn't notice a family ticket.

One thing that surprised us when we were there last year is how long the bus trip from the Airport to Metro station is.

I wrote up a trip report if any use:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ng-weekend.cfm
Dec 15th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Willit. I just read your trip report. It looks like the ride to the metro from the airport should be very short, but I see on the transport page that it takes about 30 minutes!

We might just go for convenience on arrival and get a taxi. I'm not sure. Was it easy to find the post office to buy the travel pass?
Dec 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM

There is an interactive map of the airport here:
http://www.bud.hu/english/passengers...nteractive_map

The post office is on the Mezzanine on Level 2A. I seem to remember this is at the far left of the airport if you are facing the road.

The transport system is very good, but the local bus (200E) was quite crowded, and it drives all the way around the airport, past the old Terminal 1 and then on to the Metro Station which is attached to a large shopping complex.