Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does Survivor air in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-survivor-air-in-paris-120673/)

survivorfan Apr 27th, 2001 10:33 AM

Does Survivor air in Paris?

We will be in Paris next week from Thursday morning on, and we are avid fans of the show Survivor. We were wondering if this show is broadcast in Paris and if so, when it can be seen. As any Survivor fan knows, next week is the final episode and we were hoping to catch at least part of it while over there! If not, I guess we can always read about it in the papers the next day, or call home!

dana Apr 27th, 2001 10:47 AM

This is so funny. When I was in Europe last month I was upset cause I would be missing 2 weeks worth of Survivor and also the Academy Awards. Horrors! And everyone I mentioned it to was like, loser, you'll be in Europe, who cares what is happening on a stupid tv show! <BR> <BR>There is no way to watch it,that I found, with the time difference and the channels. I don't believe I ever saw a CBS affiliate. you'll just have to get to an internet cafe to do a search- infact, nothing was written in USATOday on both days after. <BR> <BR>Sorry, I feel your pain!

Bob Apr 27th, 2001 10:49 AM

No problem, that's why God let us have the VCR.

Capo Apr 27th, 2001 10:57 AM

Same here, dana. My girlfriend & I are Survivor fans and we hated to miss two shows while in Italy a few weeks ago (especially the one where the scheming Jerri got the boot!) But, with enough sun and gelati, we managed to get over it. :~) <BR> <BR>Don't know about it airing in Paris, suvivorfan, but, as someone else suggested, you could check out CBS's website at an internet cafe. Try the huge (375 PCs), and inexpensive, easyEverything internet cafe, near the Centre Pompidou, at 31/37 Boulevard de Sébastopol. <BR> <BR>

Lori Apr 27th, 2001 11:06 AM

We just returned from Paris yesterday and while we sure didn't see Survivor(or even gave it a thought) we managed to catch Millionaire - both French and German versions - one evening while taking a breather at the hotel. Forget about Survivor, it's no where near as interesting as the first one was anyway, and enjoy Paris.

Anon Apr 27th, 2001 12:00 PM

I think it's obvious at this point that Colby probably has the best shot at it. I don't see Keith winning and Tina just isn't a shoe-in either. <BR> <BR>There! You have your answer. <BR> <BR>Just think-when the world talks about the last episode in months to come you can casually say "Oh-we were in EUROPE so we missed it"!!!! <BR> <BR>Have a great vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!

? Apr 27th, 2001 01:19 PM

Isn't that a good reason to go to Europe? <BR>

survivorfan Apr 27th, 2001 03:00 PM

Thanks to all! I guess we will have to call home and get the update from the kids! I guess the internet cafe is an option too! Oh well, c'est la vie!

xxx Apr 27th, 2001 04:00 PM

What's SURVIVORS?????????

xxx Apr 27th, 2001 04:02 PM

what's Survivors?????????

Capo Apr 27th, 2001 04:21 PM

A "Survivor" is someone who asks for a cappucino in Rome after 10 a.m. -- or butter on their bread at dinner in Paris -- and lives to tell about it! :~)

Colby Apr 28th, 2001 02:50 AM

I wish I could just tell you what I know. <BR>

Curious minds want Apr 28th, 2001 04:37 AM

You finally got booted off, didn't you? <BR>

Boob-tubed Apr 28th, 2001 04:52 AM

Out of courtesy to those who asked: "Survivor" is a television show spanning several weeks (actually, calculated to coincide exactly with the length of the usual TV season). It's referred to as a "reality" show because a group "real" people -- who have competed to get on the show and been carefully screened -- are put in an extremely primitive situation (a South Pacific island in the first series, now in the Australian Outback) to see who will "survive" all the others and win $1 million. One "survives" not only by managing to feed and shelter oneself with, or without the help of others but also by "surviving" a vote each week in which everyone else votes to throw someone out of the game. <BR> <BR>It is quite cleverly devised to maximize human inter-personal politics -- at first the group functions as two competing teams, which sets up some loyalties and dependencies. THen at a critical moment when the two teams have shrunk by attrition to just a handful, the teams are desolved, and it's everyone for him/herself. <BR> <BR>For television audiences, it's both a soap-opera with intense moments of emotion (this year, we've had serious injury, an email marriage-proposal, a gory pig-killing, etc.), a who-dunnit (who will "do it" and who will be the victim), an Eden-Robinson Crusoe fantasy adventure, and there are plenty of moments of scant clothing. <BR>The winner of the first series was a self-proclaimed "fat fag" who spent some time naked, was loyal to no one, and never forgot it was a game. <BR> <BR>Dear fan: There are several cybercafes in Paris, one not far from the Luxembourg gardens/Metro, the Orbital. I promise you, you'll feel very silly when you log on just to find out who won and then emerge back into the Parisian world -- but I also promise you, I'd probably have done the same thing last year -- less interested this year by quite a bit.

SharonM Apr 28th, 2001 06:47 AM

If I were to see the last episode in Paris, I'd have to start reading those threads about the "best way to call home" or "best phone cards"... <BR> <BR>(As in, "OMG Cec! Can you BELIEVE that so-and-so won?!") (etc, etc...) <BR> <BR>Well, you know what I mean. <BR>)

SharonM May 3rd, 2001 04:11 PM

Hope you're having fun in Paris!!! <BR> <BR>Survivor Finale just began U.S. Central time! <BR> <BR>(Got to Go!!!)

IhatethatIwatch May 3rd, 2001 05:00 PM

Jeff Probst is a big fat zero. He adds absolutely nothing to the show. I can't believe he's hosting one of TV's most popular shows...could he be a bigger dud? <BR>Some may argue that a boring host allows the focus to be on the game, but a bit of personality would go a long way in this circumstance.

xxXX@XX>COM May 3rd, 2001 05:23 PM

oKAY, NOW i KNOW WHAT IT IS, BUT NOW i WANT TO KNOW WHY ANYONE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS ARTIFICAL reality!!!!

CaseIlliterate May 3rd, 2001 05:51 PM

Human drama. It's not necessarily the hokey challenges, scenery, rituals, etc. It's seeing who will beat who...who gets the cash. <BR>It's among TV's most successful programs; those who "don't get it" probably haven't watched it.

Capo May 3rd, 2001 06:29 PM

Re: "oKAY, NOW i KNOW WHAT IT IS, BUT NOW i WANT TO KNOW WHY ANYONE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS ARTIFICAL reality!!!!" <BR> <BR>'Cause, like CaseIlliterate said, there's human drama. I like the scenery and the rituals, and find the challenges to be pretty interesting, not to mention challenging. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't call living for 35+ days on not much more than rice, or sleeping in the cold and rain "artifical." <BR> <BR>CaseIlliterate, Re: 'those who "don't get it" probably haven't watched it.' So far, at least with people I know, that's been the case. Everyone I know who hates it, hasn't watched a single episode. <BR> <BR>I've been betting on Tina ever since she looked into the camera while voting during one of the first episodes and calmly said: "Let the games begin."