Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does Delft warrant a day-trip from Amsterdam? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-delft-warrant-a-day-trip-from-amsterdam-358831/)

newyorkais Sep 16th, 2003 07:58 AM

Does Delft warrant a day-trip from Amsterdam?

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Ross. :-)

Bitter Sep 16th, 2003 08:22 AM

We stayed in Haarlem and day tripped over to Delft, had some lunch and wandered around. Nice square and lanes. We had planned to go to the Delft factory, but either couldn't find it or found that it was on the wrong side of town, so we settled for a store on the square. We probably could have gotten more out of the trip if we had researched Delft a little more thoroughly, but we enjoyed the short trip notwithstanding. IMHO Amsterdam can be a little nerve racking, so a trip to smaller town is a great idea.

FAMOUSUNCLEART Sep 16th, 2003 09:01 AM

My daughter and I went to Delft specifically to see the factory. I was a bit wary of doing that but once there, I realized the artistry that goes into their pottery. There's a good video history, and you actually see people making it.
I was surprised that all the decorations are done by hand which makes them expensive.

They have a large replica of The Night Watch made with tiles about five or so inches square and it is remarkable.

One detail, there are Delft decorations all over the place even in the WC.
I can't remember if the prices were higher than in the square but I suspect that they were not.

Gardyloo Sep 16th, 2003 09:05 AM

Delft warrants way more than a day trip, but if that's all you have, so be it. It's a beautiful, historic, cozy little town that in our opinion is about as attractive a destination as you can find in northern Europe. Unless we're transferring out right away, we prefer staying in Delft over A'dam, even though it's an hour or so from Schiphol.

KT Sep 16th, 2003 09:29 AM

I enjoyed my stay in Delft, even though I may be the only person ever to go there who didn't go to buy or see Delftware! It's not exactly a small town (population somewhere around 90,000, I believe), but it is definitely smaller and lower-key than Amsterdam. But it has a university, so there's some liveliness, too.

I can't recall any real can't-miss sights, but I enjoyed the Prinsenhof museum in the old palace of William the Silent, the Lambert van Meerten Museum (beautiful collection of tiles, even for the non-Delftware fanatic), just poking around, and standing at the spot from which you can see the city as it appears in Vermeer's "View of Delft."

Christina Sep 16th, 2003 10:27 AM

It's been a while so I do forget exactly what I did, but I enjoyed that day trip very much. I didn't go to the factory, just walked around in the main part where there are shops, etc. to look at those dishes and buy souvenirs. I also remember a cathedral that was worth seeing. It was a good day trip, I was glad I went as a change from Amsterdam.

amp322 Sep 16th, 2003 11:48 AM

Delft is a beautiful town. Enjoyed walking along the streets (lined with canals, of course), as they were more intimate than those in Amsterdam, and the architecture is fabulous. The university has a really cool library that is built into a hill. Worth a day trip, if you have the time.

Bird Sep 16th, 2003 01:25 PM

We spent the better part of a day in Delft and it was a highlight of our trip to the Netherlands. We ate a good lunch in the square, and visited the spot (old church?) where William of Orange was shot. Listening to the church bells ringing in the square was worth the trip in itself. It was a welcome change from Amsterdam. I would recommend a visit. (Don't forget Maastricht.)

newyorkais Sep 18th, 2003 04:25 AM

Is there much of a difference between Delft and Haarlem that would warrant visiting both places?

Thanks.

Ross. :-)

jenviolin Sep 20th, 2003 08:10 AM

Haarlem is not primarily built on canals the way Delft is. Haarlem is more spread out, whereas Delft is more compact so you can walk everywhere you want to go. I live in Delft and also enjoy Haarlem. There's less difference between them than, say, Delft and Rotterdam. I never understand why many people don't consider Rotterdam worthwile, by the way. Some world-class museums, a fantastic harbor tour, superb and wild modern architecture, and poignant reminders of the WWII destruction, open-air sculpture along a canal in the center, a huge tropical amusement swimming complex right on the river, excellent shopping, terrific concerts & theaters, lots to do for kids.

isabel Sep 20th, 2003 09:25 AM

If your primary interst is just wandering around, atmospheric places, nice architecture, etc - then which would you choose for a day trip from Amsterdam (Haarlem or Delft)? Would it possible do both on the same day or would that be pushing it? This is assuming no museums, just walking, shopping, photographing it.

McBetsy Sep 20th, 2003 03:00 PM

Ive been to both Haarlem and Delft and would choose Delft for a day trip. Haarlem is only a 30 minute train ride from Amsterdam Central it would be an easy morning trip. I think Delft is more picturesque.

jenviolin Sep 22nd, 2003 01:30 PM

One of the nice things about a day trip to Delft is that you can stop off in The Hague for an hour or two (see the Vermeers in the Mauritshuis, and walk around the large pond which borders the Parliament building next door) and then travel on to Delft (12 minutes) with the same train ticket. It makes a visit to Delft even more enjoyable. Delft is only an hour from Amsterdam.