Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone send credit card into via e-mail for hotels

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Karen

Does anyone send credit card number via e-mail for deposits for hotels. Is this not secure. Do you think it would be better to telephone.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:25 AM
elvira

I send credit card info via email to hotels.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Mare

Some hotels (at least in Paris) refuse to take your card number over the phone. I'm not sure why. I fax it if that is an option. If I have to send it in an email, I send half in one email, and the rest plus the expiration in another. Someone from this board gave me that idea.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:32 AM
sandi

I did it for quite a few hotels and never had a problem.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Olga

I haven't any problem too.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Grasshopper

I do it all the time. No problems yet.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Debby

no problem so far!
Debby

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Christina

I do it now and again. I'm sure some say it isn't secure but I've actually never heard of any CC no. being intercepted in cyberspace that way on random email, I've only heard about hackers who go into online retailers and get that particular companies' members records with CC no. info.

I don't think it's very risky, lots of other things are riskier you are forced to do all the time (like giving some anonymous clerk somewhere your CC no. over the phone, or all the salesclerks or restaurant workers who get copies of your no.). One thing I don't like any my friends/family think I'm anal about that is that I will not sign a credit card slip and just leave in on a table in a restaurant when the waiter isn't there to immediately pick it up. That's just one of my rules, as it has both signature and CC no., and perhaps this is regional, but when I visit my sister in Ohio, it is very common for the waitstaff in those restaurants to be lackadaisical and casual about that stuff, which I don't like. I usually have to make a special resquest to the waiter to please pick up and remove my charge slip from the table immediately. My sister rolls her eyes.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:16 PM
janis

I have e-mailed CC info many times. But a few years ago a hotel in Paris suggested I send 2 e-mails. One with the first half of the CC number and the 2nd e-mail contains the 2nd half of the CC number and exp date.

I have only done this a couple of times - but if you are concerned that is a way for more security.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:21 PM
claudia

That's the only method I'm using currently. The main reasons why I'm doing so is because of the ease and also I'm one of the few who don't own a fax machine. So far I don't see any unusual charges on my account. I'm hoping it's fairly safe.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:57 AM
brownie

Depending on the modem you have, you may be able to fax a document through via your computer. That is the option I used often.

I've done the CC over e-mail quite a few times but I usually prefer calling them to give it.

-brownie

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Ken

E-mail is not secure and those of you who wish to delude yourseves by saying nothing has happened to you yet need only to call your credit card company and ask to speak to a security person about this. If you admit to them that you have sent your number via e-mail they will shut your account down and issue you a new number. As for giving your card to restaurants etc, legitimate businesses are not in the CC theft racket and those employees that might be are easily caught.

Fax the info. Learn to use your fax modem if you don't have a separate machine.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:09 AM
lena

If you're making a reservation through a hotel's website that has a secure connection then it's fine. I wouldn't just write my credit card info in email and send it.