Reload this Page >

Does anyone panic before they are seated on the plane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:00 AM
House

It is not that I am afraid to fly at all. I fly about twice a year. I just go through this state while checking in and before I get on the plane. First, I am afraid I will have to check bags for lack of space. Second, I worry I will get a lousy seat near a crying kid or bathroom, next I worry about getting bumped off flight. I am not able to shake this angxiety until I am in my seat. It does not matter that I have been given good seats by check in attendant. I feel this throughout my body and know it is totally neurotic. I hate the person I am when I go through this. ANY WORDS OF WISDOM OUT THERE???

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:43 AM
I think

...resign, and let Mr. Cheney take over. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:47 AM
xxx

www.anxietydisorder.com

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Curious

Stay home? Find an alternate form of transportation?

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Okeydoke

House, yes, absolutely. Many go through the same thing. But don't expect any sympathy here, just jibes and jeers. <BR> <BR>There are, however, some good threads from olden days on this and the "airline" forum on fear of flying. I know you aren't afraid of flying itself, but travel anxiety manifests itself in lots of ways. <BR> <BR>My best solution -- use any crutch I need and know it will eventually pass. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:03 AM
jerry

I seriously suggest about 10 mg of valium. It does wonders.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Mel

House: Ignore the nasties! My feelings are never panic, but about 5-7 days before I leave I get a quick mental picture of our kids without us, the hassles of getting ready to go, work that will be waiting for me, etc. I find myself asking if I really want to go and, for JUST a few minutes, deciding I don't. Luckily this passes, and each time I remind myself that I go through this, so each time I get rid of the "feeling" much quicker. <BR>Words of wisdom? It helps me to remember that I'm an intelligent, capable woman who can find her way through any unexpected situation and that my abiding theory about life is "it's an adventure." (This can sometimes work to your disadvantage, however. On a road trip a few weeks ago we got a little lost several times and I think the sound of air coming through my husband's teeth was a kind suggestion to stop saying "this is an adventure, isn't it, Dar?") Say it sparingly, but believe it always.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Escritora

Nothing about the plane inspires panic in me, but I sympathize. For probably 10-15 years I have had a recurring anxiety dream in which I realize as I approach JFK that I have left my passport at home. Now, I *never* leave my passport at home; it lives in my handbag. And I've had this dream so often I now can deconstruct it in my sleep and wake myself up. Still, when I'm off on holiday the last thing I do before I lock my door is confirm that I have my passport, and the first thing I do when I get in the cab is confirm again--as if it might have escaped from Point A to Point B. We're odd creatures, we humans. I guess we just have to put up with our own eccentricities sometimes!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Amy

Since I have been bumped from a plane, gotten some really bad seats, been sent from the east coast to Minnesota in order to get to Paris as the result of a sudden strike, run through Heathrow in order to make a connection, and other like horror stories, I can sympathize. Your panic has cause. What I do, however, is say a little prayer and repeat a line from a hokey little poem about a Persian king that I learned when I was a kid: "Even this shall pass away." And it does!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Betsy

For a week before every trip I take I suffer from "What am I doing this for?" anxiety. It goes away the minute the plane takes off. I also always wonder if the anxiety I'm feeling is that divine message that I shouldn't get on the plane, but I have it so often that I wouldn't know a "divine message" if it slapped me in the face. Kooky yes, but everybody has their "issues".

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:01 PM
House

Thank you all for your kind words. <BR> <BR> Curious I could never stay home it does not last that long to keep me hooked on a domestic location. Okeydoke, I do think about that from time to time. I just do know all that can go wrong in terms of your route,comfort, luggage and I have always thought it was connected to this. Such a weird thing, on this last trip I was with my sister and she noticed it and said house what is happening are you ok? So funny because I am the bigger sister and her kids were flying their very first flight they were fine not at all reluctant. I was shaking. I am sure I was clammy. I just don't know where it comes from. But it all lessons when my carry on is overhead and completely passes when all the overhead bins are closed. Of course sometimes by this point the Stewards are on their last leg with me also. <BR> <BR>oh yes Escritora I have a similar dream only I get to the plane at it has taken off, we are deplaned and need to take the plane the next day, I miss that plane. Too funny.... <BR> <BR>Mel laughed out loud at your post. I am going to remember what you said. It is so true and while I have been flashed (1st transatlantic flight age 24), shoved (Day 1 Yugoslav war on Air Yugoslavia, I was not the only victim), bumped, burgled (out of luggage from Israel) I really do not have bad experiences on most flights. I am just always caught by surprise and so I feel more vulnerable. <BR> <BR>I avoid Northwest and very low-end third world airlines and feel more protected although I was flashed on Virgin. ... <BR> <BR>Betsey funny also, aren't you glad you went when all is said and done? Me too. <BR> <BR>Amy so sweet my mother always says three Hail Mary's with my brother before he flys. He flys a few times a month. He does this to make my mother happy. She is a very well intentioned Irish Catholic mother....Truth be told Amy I am not as frightened as I am wired like I have had 10 cups of coffee. Well thanks everyone and I suppose this is where I take Mel's advice because I am well aware of how this reads, and how it actually is in life. <BR> <BR>Thanks again <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 09:15 PM
Wise But Sad

Just came upon this post, it was the end of an era. Notice the dates. How the world has changed since then.....

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Andy

I second the Valium-==and quite possibly PAXIL for the aniexty--<BR>I am serious--Ask your doc for a perscrip.