Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does anyone on this forum ever go to (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-anyone-on-this-forum-ever-go-to-237700/)

Just Asking Jul 8th, 2002 01:31 PM

Does anyone on this forum ever go to

places other then England, France & Italy (once in a while Spain)? Seriously now, there are few and far between questions about Sweden, Finland, Norway, Romania to name a few that get little mention.

Maggie Jul 8th, 2002 02:36 PM

Slovakia is pretty low on uptake as well!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

XXX Jul 8th, 2002 02:52 PM

Poland must not get many tourists from this forum either.

haven't been there Jul 8th, 2002 03:11 PM

Actually, an interesting question.<BR><BR>My guess is that people who are traveling to places like Slovakia or Finland tend to be more experienced travelers to Europe and don't need the sort of basic advice they're likely to get here. I know that sounds snobbish and I don't mean it to be, but I think there are few people that would pick Bratislava (or Bucharest or Turku) as their first European destination, unlike the Amalfi coast or London. Simply a case of supply and demand. <BR><BR>In other cases, the sort of independent travel advocated by a majority of the correspondents to this board is hard to do - anybody know of a good B&B in Zagreb? <BR><BR>The relatively low numbers of postings about Scandinavia puzzles me also, though. Maybe if the boards were multi-lingual so European visitors to Europe had more input, we'd see more questions about northern and eastern Europe.

my answer Jul 8th, 2002 03:19 PM

Just returned from 3 weeks in Switzerland... does that count? ;-)<BR><BR>I agree with the poster who mentioned England, France, Italy, as more likely destination for less experienced travelers. Along the lines of people posting about how to pack, and how to handle money matters, etc.<BR><BR>If I were planning a trip to Romania, for example, I would more likely consult guidebooks and sites like Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, maybe Rick Steves, etc.

why Jul 8th, 2002 03:28 PM

to Bosnia-Herzogovina? Chetnya? Albania?

Not a Statistician Jul 8th, 2002 03:32 PM

Ummm...don't Italy and France have a LOT more tourists in general, not just inexperienced tourists, than Finland or Romania? Couldn't that contribute to the relatively low numbers of questions about them?

Not a Statistician Jul 8th, 2002 03:34 PM

I said that wrong, of course. I meant the relatively low number of posts about Romania and Finland, not about Italy and France.

Bob Jul 8th, 2002 03:52 PM

If you have not been to Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Poland, etc., you are missing some great countries with plenty to see and do.<BR><BR>Bratislavia ain't bad either for a day stop on a Danube cruise.

Linda Jul 8th, 2002 04:15 PM

Went to Poland & Romania last year. All I got were raised eyebrows or a look of astonishment from people when I mentioned where I was going. Have also been to Budapest, Turkey, Greece, Amsterdam & Austria,

aaa Jul 8th, 2002 06:06 PM

May be because Italy or Spain have more to offer to the visitor than Finland for example.

s.fowler Jul 8th, 2002 06:43 PM

I've been to a lot of places beyond France, England, Spain & Germany, including Scandinavia, Greece, Poland and Russia. <BR><BR>More recently we have been visiting Hungary and Macedonia on a regular basis to visit friends. <BR><BR>I'm not anything like "the most traveled", but on the basis of where I have traveled, when I can be where *I* want to be -- Paris it is.

Jean Jul 8th, 2002 06:51 PM

I've been to nearly every European country plus Russia. Although there are many interesting places and things to see, if your travel budget is limited by time and/or money, there are probably certain destinations you want to reach "once before I die." For me at least, those places are generally located in Western Europe. Having said that, I enjoyed Poland very much and friends in Finland gave me a wonderful tour of their beautiful country that the average tourist probably couldn't achieve.

Art Jul 8th, 2002 08:44 PM

Poland is a very interesting country with a lot to see. Romania is the only place in the world where you can have dinner in the house that Dracula was born. Romania is very poor and you can travel very inexpensivly there. You will find more information on Eastern Europe on thorntree then here.<BR>Hungary is a great place to visit with several interesting cities and Budapest has to be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Prague is also a beautiful city with several easy day trips.<BR>

Chris Jul 8th, 2002 09:02 PM

I've noticed several questions here of late about the Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, and Russia, and a few very interesting threads on Poland and Slovakia too. I've travelled a fair amount in Central/Eastern Europe, and Bulgaria/Romania will be my next trip. However, I don't usually ask questions here about such trips, as there are seemingly better sources of info out there. I don't see much here on, e.g., Serbia, Montenegro, Bi-H, and the Baltics either (except from intrepid and ever-helpful Mr. Haines) but I think that will gradually change over time. Also, there's truly stellar info here that I have used on the whole UK, not just England, and on Ireland as well.<BR><BR>Do you have a specific destination you wanted more info about, or posted about and didn't get replies?