Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone NOT want to talk me out of going to Spain in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plan is to do about two weeks in Spain this coming July - Segovia, Avila, Salamanca, Toledo and Madrid. I have another post right now, looking for advice on how to split the time between those cities, but everyone is just saying don't even go to Spain (except northern) at all in July. I got the same advice a year or so ago when I was thinking of Andalucia also, and I took that advice and did Andaluci in March (just got back). But I don't think doing the Madrid region trip in March sounds very good (much cooler than Andalucia in March, plus I only have 8 days in March and thats a lot of territory to cover in 8 days). I am only able to travel in March (8 days) or July/August (as much as I want/can afford).

So, I am rethinking going somewhere more northern (Holland, Begium, etc - where I've been, but wouldn't mind going back). I'm still drawn to the Spain trip, but between the recent posts on muggings in Madrid, and all the people saying don't go to Spain because of the heat, I'm wondering if anyone out there thinks central Spain for two weeks in July sounds like it could be a nice trip. Anyone?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:04 AM
ComfyShoes

You should go wherever you want to go, obviously, but consider visiting http://tinyurl.com/22bcds for a precise idea of historical temps in July. I would simply spend a bit more time indoors (museums?) than I otherwise would in April.

Regarding mugging etc, tell me where you live where it doesn't happen because I would like to live there too.

Have fun in Spain. Or wherever.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Well, people have lived there for centuries and survived the heat, I daresay you could handle two weeks.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM

I spent four days in Madrid last November walking around by myself (40 something woman)and didn't get mugged once, nor did I see anyone else mugged.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I think the answer depends on: a) the temperatures to which you are accustomed (do you live in the South, at home, or in the Pacific Northwest, for example, where you'd be less accustomed to the heat?); b) your personal tolerance level for heat and discomfort (I'm a wuss while my husband hardly notices extremes in temperature); c) how much comfort you can afford to buy (will you be able to stay in air-conditioned hotels and grab an air-conditioned taxi to get from point A to B when you're knocked out by the heat, or will you be dragging a backpack around on public transportation from hostel to hostel); d) will you be willing to adjust to the pace that such heat dictates (getting up early, siestas in the afternoon, going out for dinner late at night; or do you have a schedule that requires you to jam everything into a few days, regardless of the temperture), etc? For what it's worth, I went hiking in the region around Seville in late May and early June a few years ago. It was uncomfortably hot sometimes during the day (I suffered from mild heat exhaustion one day), but the evenings in the village were comfortable enough. Seville, though, at the end of the trip, was a frying pan. I only managed to do about half of what I wanted to. The AC in our hotel didn't really do much, so we had a couple of uncomfortable nights. But I'm still glad I took the trip. I also went hiking in the mountains and stayed in Marrakech in late May a few years ago. Also extremely hot (in Marrakech), but I was more accustomed to the heat and we set a more relaxed pace for ourselves. (It was our honeymoon after all; I believe siestas are compulsory

You might consider a trip that combines some central Spain (e.g. Madrid and Toledo) with some time on the cooler coast - either San Sebastien or Barcelona (or Cadaques, which we visited on our honeymoon and loved).
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Hi Isabel,

I just posted under your other thread. I usually go to Spain in the summer. With the exception of going to the deep south (Andalucia), I wouldn't be deterred about going to Spain in the summer!

This is what I posted in your other post:

"Hello Isabel,

You never now about the weather! I was in Madrid , Avila and Burgos last summer in late July/ August and the temps were very pleasant. The highs were in the mid 80's. Actually, Burgos was cold in the evenings! So you shouldn't be deterred by that.

Having said that, if I had 2 weeks I would spend part of those two weeks in Northern Spain to take a respite from the extreme heat that you might get. IMO , 2 weeks gives you ample time to visit the cities that you mention PLUS a little detour to Northern Spain.

I would suggest 7 days in Madrid, from where you could do the day trips to Toledo, Segovia and Avila. I think 3 days day trips and 4 days Madrid is a good mix, even if you get hot weather.

Then 2 days in Salamanca and the last 5 days in Galicia ."

So, my advice to you is GO! but if you can, allocate some days to Northern Spain.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Hey, I live in Spain..and I'm still alive after 39 summers , LOL.
I wouldn't hesitate on doing it, specially because you are not going to Andalucia. Yes, central Spain can be very hot also and dry..but keep on drinking water and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Well, I sure wouldn't do it, but if you are fully aware of the temps and have been in weather like that so know what you are getting into, it's really just your choice.

I was going to counter-argue your logic about how Madrid in March is such a bad idea, combined with Andalucia. I've done that same thing (end of March, though), and the weather in Madrid wasn't that much different than Andalucia and was very pleasant at that time. I think Seville might have been having an unusually cool Spring, but still, Madrid wasn't bad weather in March. I didn't need to wear a heavy coat or anything like that, and some days, I don't think I even wore a coat. The afternoon highs were in the 60s and 70s and statistically, their avg. high in March is about 60 F. In fact, if you look at their current weather, that's about what it is today.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you. What everyone here is saying is essentially what I'd been thinking - that while it's probably not the ideal time to visit the region, plenty of people do, and it will be fine. I definitly plan to only stay in hotels with AC, and while I normally do metros/buses, when it's really hot I can take a taxi. I will plan my time to allow for several hours of Air conditioned siesta each day. I have to say I was kind of surprised by the reaction to my other post, where I was really just asking for advice on how to split the time, and instead I got everyone saying it was crazy to go at all. (Oh and the mugging threads were just a little added concern, you do always wonder if some new city will be any worse than all the others, but I have to admitt that while most of the horror stories are about pick-pockets, these were about gangs of 5-6 people actually attacking people, slighly more of a concern.)

So I'll continue to go on with my planning for a two week trip (the third week of my vacation I had planned to fly to Edinburgh). Any more advice on how many days in each of my chosen towns?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM

During my first trip to Spain, the temperatures were around 100 degrees Fahrenheit every day. Because I was a teacher, I had no choice but to travel in the summer. I survived all of the cities that you plan to visit. I did stay in air conditioned hotels and drank lots of water (and I am not normally one to consume lots of water.

During my last trip to Spain and Portugal the temperatures were much milder except for the Algarve.

I minded the heat more in Greece, where it was far more humid, than in Spain.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM

We were in Salamanca for 2 weeks last summer. It was quite warm during the day, but not intolerable. Then, it cooled off drastically at night. Some mornings were even chilly. We had an apartment without A/C, only a few fans, and we were very comfortable sleeping.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:54 PM

We did 20 years ago, with no AC available in the hotels where we stayed. The one advantage then: hotels in Seville charge the low season rate in the summer. One day between Seville and Cordoba was particularly bad (our car had no AC): I swear that even the lizards stayed out of the sun; the afternoon stop in a parador with AC was most appreciated.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:45 PM

We've been to Spain twice in July for the same reasons as others (only time we could go). We did sightseeing early in the day, then museums, churches, etc., siestas in afternoon and walks in evening. It worked fine in Madrid, Toledo, etc. but was really hot further south. As far as muggings, etc. I had my passport bag cut off my shoulder at a DC airport right here in the US. Fortunately, I don't carry my passport in it, only a few dollars. Our daughter was robbed twice on subways in NY and she is a very savy, long time NYC girl, so you are probably no less safe in Madrid than any American city of similar size.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Europeans visit Spain to loll on the beaches in August. The Spanish siesta is intended to 'beat the heat'. Get up early, nap in the afternoon and stay up late at night!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:29 AM

We've done Spain in both July and August without any difficul;ties whatsoever.

be aware that staying up late, while a lot of fun, is not necessarily going to mean it will be cooler.

One night we were eating dinner at the Plaza Mayor in Madrid at 11:30 PM and the temperature was 98 degrees.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, you've convinced me. I'm going.

takemealong - you say your first trip was summer but you don't say when your second trip was, was that also summer.

I'll take everyone's advice and lay low during the heat of the day and only consider hotels with AC. Thanks again.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Both of my trips to Spain were in mid-July.