Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know when the last ferry out of Mykonos is during the summer?

Old May 28th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
We're flying in at around 5pm in July and were hoping to continue on to another island for a couple of nights. Since we will be in Santorini for the latter part of the week we were hoping for a less touristy island for the 2 nights before. The last ferry I can find is at 5:15pm which won't work but it's so hard to maneuver through the ferry schedules unless you know exactly where you're going. We are open to going anywhere that a later ferry would take us but I can't figure out how to find a schedule that will tell all ferry's from Mykonos and times.
Can anyone advise? Or maybe 5:15 IS the last ferry?
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:44 AM

I've never seen a website that shows all ferry departure times leaving an island without knowing what the next stop will be. But you can go to www.gtp.gr and see what your choices are by following these instructions: First find "Ferry Schedules" and enter Mykonos in the 'From' box. Do NOT put anything in the 'To' box. Click on the blue Search icon. When the next window opens do not enter anything, just click on "Search". When the next window opens you will see a Drop-down menu box titled "Destination". Click inside that box and all destinations from Mykonos will be revealed. Choose one, enter your travel date and click "Search" again. The next window that opens will be the timetables related to that ferry route and which days the ferries will be available to you besides the one you entered.

The map link below will show you the islands closest to Mykonos. Don't forget that you'll need to plan your return to the mainland when it's time to go home, so your last island should be one with easy access to either Rafina or Piraeus by ferry. That, or an airport so you can fly back to ATH.

https://tinyurl.com/y8kxmkuv

Last edited by brotherleelove2004; May 28th, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks SO much!!
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:49 PM

You could probably find a later ferry to Tinos, which is only a short hop from Mykonos. It's in the wrong direction for onward travel to Santorini, though.
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Depends on the day of the week, Syros or Tinos would be the only choices as far as I can tell.
You can use http://www.openseas.gr/JMK/ALL/2018-...10/itineraries
Change the date to whatever yours is and scroll down the list. You may get only two days on that but just jiggle the dates.
If you want to head more in the right direction towards Santorini then 17:15 would be the last.
Of course 1 night on Mykonos sorts it, at a price.
I have used a UK > Mykonos flights quite a few times so a rather familiar scenario.
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:26 AM

FB Paros jet goes every Friday at 22.40 to Paros and Naxos and every Sunday at 21.55 to Tinos
FB Nissos Mykonos leaves Mykonos daily except Tuesday and Wednesday at 19.35 for Syros
FB Superrunner goes daily at 18.45 to Tinos but that would be too risky; your plane may land late
A Hellenic Seaways catamaran goes every Sunday at 22.55 to Syros
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, so helpful and much appreciated!
We arrive on a Tuesday and it looks like Syros would be the option if we do it - it looks lovely and a perfect alternative to Naxos which is where I had hoped to go.
We would stay for 2 nights, but it's looking like our next challenge is getting to Santorini from Syros on Thursday. The only boat available gets in after 2am! The other option would be to stop and transfer in Mykonos.
We may just be trying to do too much and maybe we should just stay on Mykonos for the 2 nights and make it easy. Or spend a single night in Mykonos, and a single night in Naxos on the way to Santorini, but that may still be doing too much hopping around....
We're not partiers, were definitely hoping for a more authentic island in contrast to Santorini and hoped not to spend the extra $$ necessary to get a place on Mykonos when it's not our first choice but there could be worse places to be! That all being said, I'm open to weigh in!
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JES28 View Post
Thank you all, so helpful and much appreciated!
We arrive on a Tuesday and it looks like Syros would be the option if we do it - it looks lovely and a perfect alternative to Naxos which is where I had hoped to go.
Syros is an excellent choice, JES28. It is, for me, a wonderful island and Ermoupoli, a real working town, has such fantastic classical buildings and a whole lot more. Always a highlight for me was sailing in and seeing the twin churches high on the hill.

I travelled to Mykonos every year for more than fifty and during each of my trips I always went over to Syros. In years gone by the ferry times were quite different and I could get there mid-morning and be back on Mykonos in the evening. Always a personal thing but the highlights for me were the town’s mansions and architecture, the City Hall, the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, plus a terrific food market area only a 5 minute walk up from the port. Plus, you’ll find plenty of places to relax and enjoy some great meals. I need to mention that I always found the locals very friendly and kind.

Also, Ermoupoli has (had?) one of the best traditional bookshops I ever found in Greece run by an elderly gentleman who was the font of all knowledge. I think I learnt more from him than from the books I bought there!

Bill
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 07:43 AM

Syros is nice, but the last Syros bound ferry on Tuesdays in July leaves Mykonos at 14.15.

The best you can do is to have dinner and to sleep at Mykonos and to reach Paros (at 10.55am) or Naxos (at 10.25am) on Wednesday.
You may then leave Naxos Thursday at 17.55 or Paros at 18.30 for Santorini ar 20.15

Check whether your Paros or Naxos bound catamaran leaves Mykonos from the old port or from Tourlos and book your hotel accordingly.

Last edited by neckervd; Jun 1st, 2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 12:13 PM

As far as I can see on Tues your choices are 19:05 Naxos, Paros(from Mykonos New Port), 18:25 Tinos. So there it is Naxos.
Check that with Seajets:
https://www.seajets.gr/en/
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Retsina!! I did not see that anywhere else!!!
Our flight is scheduled to arrive from Venice at 17:45 so that would leave us 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to the Ferry if there are no delays. I know that's impossible to predict but what are thoughts on going for this from anyone who has made a similar transfer?
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 08:25 AM

That's plenty of time to collect your luggage, go outside and hire a taxi. The trip to the ferry port only takes about 20 minutes.