Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know the status on Union Strike at Paris Museums and attractions?

Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:14 AM
Hector

I read there is going to be a strike on that union. Im going to be there on may 4th for about a week. Would I be able to go to the main tourist attractions like Eiffel and the Louvre?

Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:46 PM
StCirq

You can check on the current status of French strikes http://www.lesgreves.com

I'd certainly cancel my trip if you think you might be needing a midwife.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:11 PM
Jayelle

The strike was temporarily suspended last week due to the Easter school holidays. However, that ended this past Sunday. The union's issues had not been settled yet, so the strike may have started again. When I was in Paris over the last couple of weeks, I found the museum closings to be sporadic. For example, one day I went to the Picasso Museum and it was closed due to the strikes. The next day I went back and it was open. Chances are that you'll be able to get into most of the museums that you want to see if you are persistent. You may not know in advance on which days they'll be open, so be prepared to go back.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:57 PM
Deb

lesgreves.com is entirely in French, et je ne parle pas francais bien. Any suggestions for English websites with info on the strikes? Merci

Apr 24th, 2001, 03:12 AM
EJ

4/25
I just returned yesterday and all attractions and museums were open - we were at the Eiffle and Louvre plus other museums. No strikes this past week. Only strike that we heard about upon arriving on Easter was one re: the RER and that was supposedly minimal (but then, we didn't have to use it so minimal to us might be major to someone else). Metro was up and running with no problems.

Apr 24th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Fred

The only thing as unpredictable as Paris weather are the strikes there. They can be called or ended at a moments notice. Just go, enjoy, and don't worry about them. You'll find out soon enough. For more Paris information e-mail me- [email protected]

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Kristin

Does anyone have any more recent info on this topic?

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Kristin

Does anyone have any more recent info on this topic?

Apr 29th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Vacation

As of 4/26 Versailles Palace is closed for 2 weeks. The gardens/grounds are open to walk around if its not cold or rainy. After the 2 weeks, who knows. I waited 15 years to go back to Paris & see Versailles, very disappointing.

May 1st, 2001, 10:12 AM
Mark

Got back yesterday and most things seemed to be open. Sometimes when there's a strike the attraction is still open, they're just not selling or taking tickets. Some metro lines were slowed down by striking, but it was still better than most public transportation in the U.S. (and free to boot).