Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know the name of the island off the coast of Turkey that Marc Antony built for Cleopatra?

Search

Does anyone know the name of the island off the coast of Turkey that Marc Antony built for Cleopatra?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 03:47 PM
loveMarcAntony

As a token of his love for her, Marc Antony built an island for Cleopatra off the coast of Turkey. It is referred to as "Cleopatra's Beach" because it was used it as a haven for her trysts with Marc Antony. Legend has it that Cleopatra said "I cannot leave Egyptian soil," and so sand was dredged up from Egypt and a beach was built in Turkey. Does anyone know the name of this island and where it is located?? Has anyone been there? I am anxious to get all the information I can-thanks!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Augustus

That would be Sedir Island (Cedrai) and you can't take any of the sand. It is protected by watchmen.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:38 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:46 AM
x

Just a guess, but I think millions of years of geology and not Marc Antony were responsible for "building" the island.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
loveMarcAntony

Thanks for telling me the name Augustus!<BR>Have you been there before?<BR><BR>From what I have researched, it was indeed created for her - similar to modern day harbor making - with the sand being brought up from Egypt. Hence the reason that the sand is considered so valuable and it is considered an &quot;ancient&quot; place. It has been said that those that visit the island must brush off their shoes and remove all sand before departing.