Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of any good Castles to stay at in France or Germany?

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Dan Sklar

I will be going to France and Germany soon and I would like to know if anyone knows of any good Castles or Chateaux that are not too expensive with good accomodations.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 08:56 PM
bettyk

The Auf Schoenburg in Oberwessel on the Rhine River has gotten high marks on this website as well as others. It is also a Karen Brown recommended property. We have booked a room there next May for around $130. You can check out their website at http://www.burghotel-schoenburg.de/.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 09:24 PM
Sue

A few years ago, some friends and I spent a night a castle in Germany and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is off the beaten path and in what I consider a fascinating part of the country. In fact, I have returned many times since, although on all of those trips, I have stayed in the home of German friends.
This castle is named Burg Lauenstein, and it is, I believe, the oldest castle that is still in use in Germany. When we stayed there, it was at the very end of a 'peninsula' of West Germany that was surrounded on three sides by East Germany. Of course, that is all in the past. At any rate, the castle is in the small village of Lauenstein (It no longer has its own post office, and so all mail goes through the PO in nearby Ludwigsstadt). Lauenstein village is divided, with one part and the castle being on top of the mountain and the rest at the bottom of the mountain. The castle-hotel was not plush, but it was very comfortable and was not at all expensive. We loved the ambience. One could easily imagine medieval knights and their ladies wandering through the hallways! Lauenstein is a village where there are no artificial barriers between visitors and locals. In fact, the local choruses often practice and give concerts in the courtyard of the castle.
There are many things in this part of Germany that you might be interested in exploring. Germans visit the area for hiking and cross-country skiing. There are two small but very high-quality candy factories - one in the village and the other nearby. Within a very few miles are: villages with porcelain factories and their outlet shops; Kronach, with its many breweries; the outlet for a well- known doll factory, and a Hummel outlet. There are also a couple of towns with close connections to J.S.Bach as well as Weimar, with all of its cultural attractions. We have found prices for everything in that area to be most reasonable. Not far away is one of the most beautiful baroque churches I have ever seen - Vierzehnheiligen (spelling?), meaning 14 angels. Because of the openness of the locals, visitors can easily find out about local festivals and just generally get a feel for the culture. If you are interested and want more information, just let me know. I have friends who live in Lauerstein who would get me more information about the castle - current prices, etc..

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Doug

In the past we often flew into Frankfurt and then drove down to Bavaria (cheaper airfares to FRA). We stayed in a little castle in Jagsthausen on a number of occassions. It was the home of a German Knight who's become a legend in Germany. When he was hopelessly surrounded in battle, his enemy asked him if he wanted to surrender. He replied "You can kiss my a--!". You gotta love a guy with that attitude. Anyway, Jagsthausen is North of Heilbronn, only a couple hours from Frankfurt. It's a great area to start your trip down the Romantic Road. The castle is full of armor and weapons. It has a museum dedicated to the "Black Fist", the warrior hero. See this link for more info:

http://www.germany-castles-hotels.co...urg/index.html

It's in German but has links to other castle hotels. If you have kids, they'll love this place. It's got a moat, high walls, and long dark halls. A little spooky, but lots of fun.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 12:33 PM
BoBo

Triple "t"'s

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Grasshopper

Try Chateau de Jallanges in Vouvray (just out of Tours in the Loire Valley)
http://www.chateaux-france.com/-jallanges

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 01:29 PM
ellen

Here's a second recommendation for Auf Schoenburg in Oberwesel.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Nancy

Dan,
We stayed at the Chateau de Jallanges this past October. We also stayed at the Chateau Du Marcay in nearby Marcay. Chateau de Jallanges was built in the 15th century, and is very authentic. It reminded me of the house in the movie The Haunting, with a little bit of the Adams Family thrown in. The owner purchased the property 10 years ago, after it had been abandoned for many years. Stephan Ferry-Balin (the land baron) and Patrice do a wonderful job of making you feel comfortable. I especially liked the part where at night the electricity dims, and you have very minimal lighting. We were the only people in the chateau, and truly enjoyed the 18,000 square ft of haunted house. We stayed in the Henri II room, with breakfast at about 100.00 per night. It ranks as one of my all time favorite adventures! The Chateau du Marcay is a five-star property. We had a large room with the bath located in the turret. We were only 1 of 5 other couples there. The price was about 475.00 a night. We also checked out the Chateau de Bouralaiser (sp?) It was in the area, so we drove by and went in. We got the royal look around and a glass of wine from the desk clerk. It was ok, but I still would pick the Chateau de Jallanges and its ambience at any cost. There is another Chateau near Poiters, with a keep on the premises. I wanted to stay there as well, but I didn't want to confirm my husbands thought of my craziness.