Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does anyone know of a hotel in or near Paris that can accommodate a family of 5 without having to get 2 rooms? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-anyone-know-of-a-hotel-in-or-near-paris-that-can-accommodate-a-family-of-5-without-having-to-get-2-rooms-145595/)

cc Jan 23rd, 2002 10:51 AM

Does anyone know of a hotel in or near Paris that can accommodate a family of 5 without having to get 2 rooms?

Is that possible? Also, which area in Paris should we stay? This will be our first trip to Paris. Thanks.

Lisa Jan 23rd, 2002 02:07 PM

You may not be too successful here. I know when my sister was trying to book for her family of 5, even an apt was a problem. Fortunately, we had 3 in our party so we took one of her children into our room.<BR><BR>Try for a privately owned apartment. this may be your be your best bet. I'm not sure of the best website for this.

Christina Jan 23rd, 2002 02:16 PM

I haven't ever heard of such a thing. There may be some hotels that have two connecting rooms that might accommodate 5, but that is still two rooms, unless you really mean you don't want two unconnected rooms. That is large for an apt, also, but even there, it won't be only one room, so wouldn't be any different than getting a hotel suite of rooms. Perhaps if you were clearer on whether your goal is just money, rooms that are not connected, or what the issue is, someone could recommend something. If some of those five are very small or infants, it might be possible to find a room with two queen size beds where they could roll in a cot or crib. The area doesn't matter so much, you'll have trouble enough finding something--just stay in central Paris.

fairoaksjim Jan 23rd, 2002 02:26 PM

There is such a hotel?The Marignan on the Rue de Sommerard. Near Maubert-Mutualite Metro station in the 5th. Very close to St. Germaine. Near Notre Dame. My wife and I and three children ages 15, 10, and 12 all shared one room with private bath for about $160 per night including breakfast. No air conditioning and a bit noisy, but the staff is wonderful and we loved it. It's our second time there. But book NOW for the summer.That room gets booked fast.

Ted Jan 23rd, 2002 02:39 PM

A friend of mine, family of 4, recently stayed at the Ascot Opera Hotel (www.ascot-hotel-paris.com). The room had a couch with fold out twin beds. Don't know if could accommodate 5 ... also, there is a theatre next door, so can be noisy at night, but it was a great deal. Somewhere around ₤100 a night.

sue Jan 23rd, 2002 04:14 PM

Hi,<BR><BR>Try this hotel. It is near the Paza de Rebulic, which is a little out the way, but right on the metro line. Home Plazza Saint-Antoine.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Lisa Jan 23rd, 2002 04:37 PM

You may not be too successful here. I know when my sister was trying to book for her family of 5, even an apt was a problem. Fortunately, we had 3 in our party so we took one of her children into our room.<BR><BR>Try for a privately owned apartment. this may be your be your best bet. I'm not sure of the best website for this.

howmuch Jan 23rd, 2002 06:02 PM

How much are you interested in spending per night? How long will you be in Paris? There are definitely apartments that could accommodate your family, depending on age of kids and price range you're looking for. Are you going in summer or 'off-season,' if there is such a time?

Sue Jan 23rd, 2002 07:00 PM

Both Hotel du Palais-Bourbon and Hotel La Motte-picquet have family rooms that accommodate 4 at $125-130. My friend always books a room for 4 and then shows up with her 3 girls (ages 8,12,14) and they somehow make do. It all depends on how gutsy you are and the age and gender of your kids. (I suppose she puts the 3 girls in the double and she and hubby use the two singles.)

cc Jan 24th, 2002 04:56 AM

Thanks, everyone. <BR>To be clearer on my goal, money is the biggest issue. We'll need a room for 3 nights. It will be my husband and I, and our three boys, ages 17, 14, & 9.

thurston Jan 24th, 2002 05:13 AM

Your search is over. The Hotel des Grandes ecoles is on the left bank, quiet, charming, and has a large room with two double beds and a single bed. We stayed there 2 years ago with our three daughters. The price then was about $135 a night. The e-mail is www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com

Christina Jan 24th, 2002 12:12 PM

well, it looks like there are at least two rooms in Paris that can sleep five!! However, if it's really a money issue, and from the age of your kids, the two older teens definitely could stay alone (and IMO I would prefer that), you can find two separate rooms in a budget hotel just as cheap or cheaper than the rates you'll have to pay for these other very large, unique rooms. That one at Grandes Ecoles sounds like a real bargain and nice, but I know that hotel is hard to book, in general. For example, the often-recommended Hotel Grand Leveque on rue Cler would be about that cheap for a double and triple--a double is about US$60. They have a snazzy new URL at www.hotel-leveque.com There are other possibilities. The Marignan sounds like a possibility depending on the level you are seeking; I personally think $160 for that room is high given that hotel is pretty basic (only a one-star, I think) and payment could be an issue depending on your habits (I don't think they take credit cards).

justmyopinon Jan 24th, 2002 12:47 PM

Hm, well the website of the Grand Hotel Leveque looks definitely MUCH better than the place itself.

Michael Jan 24th, 2002 01:46 PM

We were in Paris in November and I did a fairly extensive search for family reservations and ended up in an apartment. The fact that you will only be there for three days however makes a hotel a better bet unless you can find a aparthotel with two bedrooms that will let you stay for only three nights. I think the problem is that in the US you can usually find a big enough hotel room to sleep an entire family. Outside most of the US, and especially in Europe, the rooms are too small or there are regulations that tend to prevent you from doing this. I agree with some of the above posters who would recommend two rooms in a hotel which, depending on the time of year should set you back $50 to $70 each room per night or $120 -$150/ night total. If you are going at the right time you could check out the student dorms in the summer which might be less expensive.

Sash Jan 24th, 2002 04:04 PM

Will you have a rental car? If so I recommend you stay in a castle south-west of Paris (40 min drive) which has been converted into a Bed & Breakfast. Really good deals to be had!!www.chateaudejonvilliers.com He's an American, she's French

Jim Humberd Jan 24th, 2002 07:29 PM

The camping site, Paris-Ouest, situated on the Seine River in the Bois de Boulogne has manufactured homes with three bedrooms. Better than any hotel, especialy with kids.<BR><BR>http://www.mobilhome-paris.com/ <BR>shows a picture.<BR><BR>Contact me for more info: InvitationToTravel.com

Susan Jan 25th, 2002 05:30 AM

Have you looked into the Citadines chain of apartment hotels? I have booked one for our family of 4 for February. You can get a one bedroom apartment. We did not want to all be in one room nor did I want to spend on two single rooms.

Lisa Jan 25th, 2002 06:12 AM

Susan, citadines was one of the apartments that we Looked at. They would not take 5. Real pity as that would have been our first choice.

Christina Jan 25th, 2002 11:15 AM

my opinion is that I don't doubt that the Leveque's web site looks better than the rooms but I don't think you can expect something upscale at about $60 per room; I was not promising any quality at that rate. In fact, my comment was that their web site was snazzy, not the hotel. Have you seen the Marignan? That is about like a hostel.

jj Jun 11th, 2002 06:15 AM

Topping for Anna.