Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of a good place to buy a fur in Rome, Florence or Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 04:55 PM
Cindy

I am taking my parents to Europe this fall. We are going to London, Paris, Florence and Rome. My mother wishes to buy a fur on the trip. Leaving aside my personal political views on the moral implications of wearing fur, is there any place that might have a good fur for her to buy? Does it make sense to buy a fur in Europe instead of the United States? Are there any good reasons to urge her to wait and buy a fur in the United States instead of abroad?

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:44 PM
Rex

You've already given us the most compelling reason to do it: <BR> <BR>"My mother wishes to buy a fur on the trip." <BR> <BR>There is a certain obligation (if you are to be fully law-abiding) to itemize higher-priced purchases (the customs declaration says you are required to itemize all purchases if the total exceeds $1400 per person in a family unit) and pay a 10% duty. But if your parents can afford it and it makes this trip more memorable for her every time she wears it, what's a 10% duty? <BR> <BR>Strictly guessing, I bet that Paris and London are better places to look than in Italy. Wearing fur has certainly NOT gone out of style in Paris. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 01:20 AM
frank

Buy in Paris,no problems there.Don't dare wear it in London, high chance of hassle.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 03:54 AM
Sheila

Make sure that you view the Humane Society of the United State's website about the import of dog/cat fur from Asia into Italy and beyond... Apparently, you may not be purchasing what you actually think you're purchasing... Irregardless, the promotion and exploitation of animal suffering is disgusting. Hey, maybe while I'm in Europe, I'll try to see if I can track down one of the "human Jew skin" lampshades so popular during WWll. It'd look so gorgeous in my neutral-toned living room...

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 04:37 AM
dan woodlief

Sheila, while I agree with you about animals and fur coats, that was a pretty rude and tasteless comparison.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 04:40 AM
merriem

Just a thought on fur.....If fur is so bad, then why doesn't everyone get rid of their goose-down coats, pillows, and comforters. The last time I checked, goose down doesn't come from live geese?

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Cindy

Hey, now. Please, please spare me the lecture. I just want to know where my Mom can buy a fur in London, Paris, Rome or Florence. This is supposed to be a travel forum, right? <BR> <BR>Oh, you'd like my personal opinion? Well, I wouldn't be caught dead in one, for reasons I won't bore anyone with. But this is a big deal to my 60ish Mom, and I've been trying to talk her into going to Europe with me for at least 10 years, and she finally agreed. So if this is one of the things she'd like to do, I'll put aside my personal views and give her a hand with it if I can. Maybe my kids will put up with my quirks when I get to be that age. <BR> <BR>I really appreciate the tips thus far, and if anyone has any other input, I'd love to hear it.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 07:10 AM
schiara

Hi, Cindy. I would encourage you to not discount Italy, especially the northern part. I would think that with the dollar so strong against the lire, you would be able to find a good bargain (that is if it remains this strong by fall). Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations on where to buy, but I would imagine Florence or Milan would be good starting points. You can buy books on shopping in Italy, and perhaps there is a section with recommendations. And I am sure that all those with opinions never ate beef, much less veal, wore leather shoes or sat on leather furniture. It must be nice to be holier than the rest. You made your position clear from the outset. Good luck. And have fun in Italy.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Julie

To Sheila - Irregardless IS NOT A WORD.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Rex

Cindy, <BR> <BR>I would have never believed that such a thing as a furrier would be so hard to find information over the internet. <BR> <BR>Yahoo UK --&gt; nothing! <BR> <BR>Yahoo France - - essentially nothing and so I tried at least 4 other French search engines and found ONE single designer, who does show a FEW fur-TRIMMED and leather coats: <BR> <BR>http://www.franklaurens.com/Manteaux...es%20Femme.htm <BR> <BR>And true to the posting from santachiara, it looks like you may do better in northern Italy than I expected (after all if they don't sell furs to the clientele in Bellagio - - who would they sell them to! - - same for Monte Carlo!) <BR> <BR>On Yahoo Italia, here are a few listings, though I didn't have much luck actually getting firm information on any of these businesses, except for Gior Furs (and I haven't bothered to try to figure out where in Italy they are) - - <BR> <BR>http://it.dir.yahoo.com/Affari_e_eco...o/Pellicceria/ <BR> <BR>One last thought: I got a number of listings for CANADIAN furriers - - surely THEY know furs - - why not route your trip through Toronto and/or swing up through Montreal (almost like a day in France) and get the fur coming or going through Canada!? <BR> <BR>Besides, www.canada3000.com has some pretty good airfares to and from Europe! <BR> <BR>I love these hard questions! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>a single listing of a desig

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 09:39 AM
elvira

In London, I would go to Harrod's (reputable, you'll get what you pay for); in Paris, I would go to Galeries Lafayette or Bon Marche (again, reputable and you'll get what you pay for). If you're looking for designer coats, then the 8th around Ave Montaigne will have those shops. <BR>As Rex pointed out, be very sure you declare the coat (keep the receipt very handy); don't forget VAT rebate (if you buy from a department store, they have an area set up for doing the paperwork; if you buy from a shop, ask for the same thing); you'll get back anywhere from 10%-15% of the total cost. <BR>Lastly, make sure you don't buy something that's not importable (like leopard, for example).

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Carol

I'd definitely check Fendi's in Florence and Rome, and also Valentino. Www.dolcevita.com is an Italian fashion-oriented site in English. You should do a search there.

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Jim

Julie, <BR>When I was a kid, my english teacher used to say, "Ain't ain't a word because it ain't in the dictionary." I guess that ain't so anymore.