Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know Leverkeusen? If so help a cluless football fan!

Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

The town of Leverkusen is the next stop on the Tottenham Hotspur European tour. I've never been. I've barely been to Germany. Has anyone been. I've done a bit of googling and it seems a rather bleak industrial sort of place. If so, is there anywhere around there that would be better to stay? If not - what's good to do in Leverkeusen (you can take drinking good beer as a given).

We've also been drawn away to Bestikas, but if you think I'm going with the front wheels to a football match in turkey, you are having a steffi.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

Leverkeusen is about a 20-minute train or S-Bahn ride north of Cologne, on the right. I've ridden my bike thru it many times (i used to organize and lead bike trips and unfortunately we had to ride right thru this humungous industrial area en route to Cologne along the Rhine-side bike route from Dusseldorf.

The huge Bayerwerk - Bayer chemical plant sits right on the edge of town - this sprawling industrial blight adds a certain flavor to town.

Nuff said - stay in either Cologne or Dusseldorf as anything else in this area is pretty blah.

My condolences - go Tottenham Spurs! (ony because it's your team it seems)
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:00 AM

>Leverkeusen
Bayer Leverkusen?
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

I thought the town was called Leverkeusen and the soon to be humbled football team are called Bayer Leverkeusen.

Happy to be corrected.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:21 AM

Should we alert the local polizei that English football louts are on the way?
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

They'll already have had a phone call from Scotland Yard.

Banning Orders have already been activated.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM

a est f: i always love your answers to my various UK questions - one here please - i can never understand how the UK can take away passports or prevent alleged football hooligans the right to travel freely, especially in the EU - how is this legally done? Thanks andi really will be looking for a Spurs victory in the paper. When is the match?
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM

They aren't as bad as they seem, those English. Leverkusen hasn't got a chance, like Hottentam wouldn't stand 5 min against Bayern.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:46 AM

Audere, you are correct. The town is Leverkeusen, and the team is Bayer Leverkeusen (Bayer has always been the team's sponsor, having its headquarters there). Not to be confused with the team Bayern Munich, in this case, Bayern refers to the state of Bavaria, where the city of Munich is located.

Stay in Köln (Cologne) or Dusseldorf, both are fun towns.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM

>Bayer Leverkeusen
And I'm the king of china ;-)
Leverkusen is correct of course.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:04 AM

logos: what kind of china do you collect?
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

i can never understand how the UK can take away passports or prevent alleged football hooligans the right to travel freely, especially in the EU - how is this legally done? >>>>>>>

A British passport belongs to the Queen (really it does). It can be withdrawn, as it is in effect only on loan to the holder. Also other restrictions can be placed on a person's movements - ie as part of a sentence someone can be required to attend their local police station on match days - so they can't travel.

There are also football specific Banning Orders which ban people from all football grounds in Britain - these aren't enforceable abroad, but the names and photos of the hoolies will be passed to the German police. Also a sizable contingent of British Police will travel with us to Germany to help their German counterparts.

Finally Germany can simply refuse to let the hoolies in, or just bugger them about so much that they miss the match.

The game's on 23rd November.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
hsv

audere,

the town is indeed called Leverkusen - and its team Bayer Leverkusen.
They play in quite a small stadium (as they do not have too many fans), so make sure to get your tickets early.
Do follow the advice to stay in either Cologne or Duesseldorf. Cologne should be closer, though.

That said, show them how to play - and score a few against their obnoxious goal keeper! You can be sure of my support.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM

>logos: what kind of china do you collect?
All kinds, especially Ciao, M-Design and SMCS Tirschenreuth. It's so sad, they break so easy.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM

>sure of my support.
Doesn't look like Bayer gets much support from us Germans. ;-) Go Tottenham!
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM

"i can never understand how the UK can take away passports or prevent alleged football hooligans the right to travel freely, especially in the EU - how is this legally done?"

Audere is probably correct in his answer, but you can add to that that the view of the British "Establishment" is that any person who dares to follow such a working class sport as football should automatically forfits any human rights and can therefore be treated as less than human.

I do not deny that some English clubs have hooligan elements (my chosen team is one such), but the contempt with which my fellow fans and I have been treated by some police forces never ceases to amaze me.

And that was never a penalty on Sunday !
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:57 AM

We have friends who live in Odenthal, quite near Leverkusen. We visited them in June. Though Leverkusen itself is not a prime tourist destination, there are quite a lot of nice areas nearby--including the Odenthal area.

However, I think for a short visit, Koeln/Cologne is a very interesting city on the Rhein with plenty of beer and sights (among them a fantastic Gothic cathdral and Roman ruins). And as pointed out above, the public transport system is excellent.

Koeln is known for its Koelsch Bier served in small, 0.2 litre glasses to keep it fresh--but the waiters keep them coming. Our friend took us to several Koelsch spots on our visit--he also bought some great pastries made to be eaten with beer, but I can't remember what they're called.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM

I stayed in Leverkusen for 3 nights about 12 years ago, we used it for the quick train to Cologne and also did a day trip to Dusseldorf. It wasn't really all that bad, not an especially charming place but there were several pedestrian only streets, several cafes/bars etc. Not a big place by all means. We stayed there mainly for the low cost vs staying in Cologne and the ease of getting around by train.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM

I assume they serve beer at football matches like this...or do they cut it out in fear of hooligans getting pissed and then violent. Or don't hooligans need to be drunk to be violent?

PS- I know the great majority of 'soccer' fans are law-abiding decent folk.
Oct 5th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes you can get beer at football grounds - and most are surrounded by pubs too.

Presumably a german hot-dog will be an improvement on the ones we get a White Hart lane (There is a theory that they contain so little pork as to qualify as kosher)

So it looks like staying in Dusseldorf is the way to go. Thanks.

No it wasn't a penalty - but it's all mendez's fault - like the 50 yard goal against Man U that wasn't given.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO