Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if there is something similar to a money order that I can purchase in Spain?

Search

Does anyone know if there is something similar to a money order that I can purchase in Spain?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to rent a house from a private party. I am having a terrible time figuring out how to get a deposit to him (and of course we are now down to the deadline as we are leaving for Spain in 24 hours). He wanted a bank transfer of funds for a deposti, but my bank couldn't figure out how to do it with the information the guy had given me. I have spoken to him and he understands that I have a problem with this, but his spoken English isn't that good, although a lot better than my Spanish. I am thinking that the easiest way out might be for me to send him some sort of money order once I reach Spain. 1. Is ther such a thing? 2. Where would I get one? 3. How slow is the Spanish mail system? thanks.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Call Western Union at 1 800 325 6000.They transfer money all over the world.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Duke but their fee seems exhorbitant to me--$23 for a transfer of $100 to $150.<BR><BR>Any other hot ideas anyone?
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:56 PM

julies,<BR>We have needed to transfer large sums of money from our bank account to family members in Spain, and with the account number of the &quot;titular&quot; (the family member) and branch bank number (the &quot;entidad- I see on another post that the owner gave you both), our bank has been able to wire the transfer for us with no problems, although the fee is not inexpensive. <BR>I'm not sure why your bank can't do this for you.<BR>Unfortunately wiring a hefty deposit directly to the owner is one of the disadvantages of renting directly rather than going through an agency.<BR>When we wire large amounts money to our business associates in Pamplona, we simply purchase an international bank draft (cost=$20) at our local Bank of America branch, which has a relationship with the Spanish bank giant, BBVA, made out to our business partner with his bank account number, and we sent it to him 2 day Global Priority Mail through the post office.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:18 PM

can you pay him with a travelers checks.. the funny thing is that I'm going threw the same thing.. I rented a apartment in bangkok, thailaned and they want cash and I'm not too sure how too do so without bringing a ton of cash on me and having it conveted, thus for at least a couple of hours walking aroiund town with a wad of bills that would make bill gates jelous, and I don't want that.. <BR><BR>check out web sites for spanish banks, banco santander and others they my have help links for you..
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Julies,<BR>You might want to call BBVA at<BR>34-91 374 73 68 and ask if you can pick up a bank draft when you arrive in Spain (there's even a BBVA full branch in the Madrid Barajas airport-upstairs) to give to the owner.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

How about Pay Pal? Has anyone ever used this service? It looks good to me if the recipient is willing to set up an account. They do transfers in different curriencies. There is a slight international fee to access the money but it is a whole lot less thtn American Express charges. All you need is an e-mail account to use the service.