Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if the POMPEII documentary on the DISCOVERY Channel will be re-run??

Search

Does anyone know if the POMPEII documentary on the DISCOVERY Channel will be re-run??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodors Gang,

My friend was unable to tape for me the POMPEII documentary on the Discovery Channel last night (bunner)!!! Does anyone know when it might play again? Am determined to see it...

Much thanks,
Betty
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant "bummer", not "bunner"!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:29 PM

If my TiVo was accurate when I looked it up last night, believe it will be on again tomorrow at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. and Friday at 3:00 pm. (EST)
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:30 PM

BTW,
If you go to the tv listings on Yahoo, I believe they show future airings for programs on the schedule.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:45 PM

My newspaper TV section agrees with Ryan's TiVo.

Anyone see this last night? I thought the acting was a bit amateurish in the beginning scenes, but the program steadily improved. It's so interesting that there's no word for volcano in Latin. Also interesting that 700K people live within the area most likely to be wiped out by another eruption, which, according to volcanologists, is due. However, the Italians have an evacuation plan in case this does happen. This idea made me laugh aloud even though I was watching the program alone. Have you ever seen the chaos of those streets on an ordinary day, never mind when there's a life-threatening emergency? The families there are eligible for a 40K Euro grant if they move away from the area, but as one homeowner said, his family has lived there for 500 years and he's not going anywhere.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM

According to Netflix..it is being released on DVD tomorrow.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:52 PM

Yep - the Pompeii documentary is on tomorrow (Feb 1) at 8 PM on Discovery. You can learn more about it at Discovery's web site.

Also, there is a show on the The History Channel tonight called "Digging for Truth: Pompeii" which looks equally as interesting. It's on a 8 PM eastern.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:33 PM

Re: Netflix -- Good tip, Dick. If you haven't seen it, a Netflix rental would be the way to go, since you'd avoid those endless commercials.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Italygirl. It feels like Pompeii immersion week or something.

Oh those commercials last night. One right after the other! They really interrupted the continuity of the program.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:07 PM

I taped it and just viewed it.
During the re-enactment in 1st half, the commercials were 7min apart!
I thanked the Gods for the 'Fast Forward' button . Regards, Walter
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:39 PM
cfc

The number of interruptions was appalling, and the piece itself was a bit repetitive (how many times can we hear about vaporized people or see a stool get tossed into lava?) -- it seems to me it's actually about an hour's worth of material, if that. The most intelligent person on it was the vulcanologist (the woman "MC" was dangerously similar in demeanor to Samantha whosis on the Travel Channel).

BUT I'm still glad I saw it, and if you can record and fast-forward it will be worth it, even with the silliness and melodrama. No need to be so melodramatic when the situation itself is already so very dramatic -- then AND now.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:12 PM

I agree that there were too many interruptions...it was ridiculous. But the show was interesting and somewhat sad IMO, In fact, I was sure I would have nighmares last night...you just never know ?