Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Does anyone know if the New Hampshire Passport office is moving at a snails pace?

Does anyone know if the New Hampshire Passport office is moving at a snails pace?

Jun 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if the New Hampshire Passport office is moving at a snails pace?

Hi everyone... I know, I know - another passport post...

We leave on the 22nd of this month and all three of our passports have been 'out there somewhere' for months now. I have called our Congresswomans office and they said they sent an email but will not make any guarantees.
I also just got through to a live person with the NPIC. (I used the
9-3-1 merry-go-round method posted on previous threads and after 56 minutes of that I was put on hold waiting for a live person)
The nice lady at NPIC said all of our passports were being processed in the New Hampshire office. She also sent an 'urgent upgrade request' to the NH office in hopes that our passports will be moved along quickly.

I have heard that the Charleston office is moving very slowly but I have not heard too much about the NH office...anyone know anything?

I feel a little bit better having talked to a live person at NPIC but having read all the recent posts on Fodors, I am not too sure it will do any good.
Jun 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Okay...I feel your pain! Yes, the New Hampshire office (the best according to the stupid phone sytem you have to go through) is not even moving at a snails pace! We jumped through hoops and they sent SEVERAL urgent emails, with no response. We too went to our congressmans office and they called because we were within 7 days of leaving and they arrived Fed-Ex in 48 hours. That was 3 days before we leave, which is today. We are leaving in 30 minutes. Keep on your congresswomans office. Although today the State Dept. released a relief for all of this....you can download something if you haven't got them because they can't keep up with the demands. Good luck!
Jun 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Holy Cow...your post is encouraging, kind of. Well, at least it all worked out for you and you didn't have to drive tens of hours to your nearest agency and wait in line for an entire day.
I will continue to harrass and be the squeeky wheel in hopes that fed ex will arrive in time!

Thanks debbeymer for your post.
Jun 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM

We are also waiting for a passport renewal that is being processed in Portsmouth, NH. Our son sent it in well over 12 weeks ago and nothing yet! At least it was confirmed that it is there and in the process of being approved - that is if his information source is reliable. We leave in 3 weeks for Europe.

Debbeymer, where did you find/hear that downloading info? Is this possible on the US Government website? Does it apply to travel to Europe?

This is a pathetic situation - it's not like he just applied for the renewal. It has been almost 3 and 1/2 months! He has emailed his Congresswoman but it may be early too do that.

What I really would like to know is why didn't our government realize that there would be a huge amount of applicants due to the passport changes and why didn't they get enough staffing to help take care of it in an appropriate/timely manner for all applicants??? Typical.

Good luck to everyone trying to get passports!
Jun 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM

I believe you can only download the info and use that for air travel to Canada and Mexico, which have just recently required passports. For Europe, which has 'always' required a passport, a real passport is still required.
Jun 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Also, please note to make sure you call your congressperson. The emails often do not get quick attention. Calling is the way to go if you need any kind of help. You can call your local office if you don't want to call DC.
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Danasgirl, did you pay for the expedite
service? I need to decide to go that
route or use an online service and pay
them. Expensive, I know, but for the
peace of mind????
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM

passport expediters who hand deliver your application to the right office so you don't end up at the bottom of a mail pile should be OUTLAWED if you ask me - like paying to cut in front of the line.

something about it just sticks in my craw.

passport web site once said something to effect that they are hiring a few dozen more employees to cope with expected passport rush - should have thousands more - very very poor planning Sec Rice.
Jun 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM

That's funny (well, not exactly funny....). When we went through our fiasco last month, our congressman's office said it was a good thing the application went to Portsmouth instead of New Orleans. Portsmouth was way faster and New Orleans folks were up a creek....
Jun 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Katie, No I did not expedite...wish I had though. We have some friends that paid to expedite and got it back in 14 days! This was just last week. So I know it works to expedite...sometimes.

Hershey, I have heard the very same thing about NH being better/faster at processing than New Orleans or other PP offices...but as of yesterday our PP's are still sitting, waiting to be mailed.
Jun 17th, 2007, 04:09 AM

"I believe you can only download the info and use that for air travel to Canada and Mexico, which have just recently required passports"

Just to set the record straight, it is not Canada and Mexico which have recently required passports for entry, but the United States which has imposed a passport requirement for travelers from those countries.

The massive screw-up in processing passport applications is something that the U.S. government has brought upon itself. The recent waiver for U.S. citizens returning from Canada and Mexico announced by the State Department, and the vote of the House to delay these passport requirements for 17 months are indicative of the size of the problem that has been caused by these measures.

Search this Thread