Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if reservations are needed for the bus from Faro (Portugal) to Huelva?

Search

Does anyone know if reservations are needed for the bus from Faro (Portugal) to Huelva?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:45 AM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received an e-mail with this question today from someone in the UK, even though I have never posted any kind of message on eirther destination, and I have never traveled to either.

At the risk of excessive soapboxing (moi?) - - even if I knew the answer, sending a private e-mailed question is NOT the way to use this forum, and in fact it's closer to an abuse of this forum. The forum succeeds because of PUBLIC answers to PUBLICLY asked questions. And the "cross-examination" and tangential answers are valuable and add fun to the reading as well.

I spend a lot of time on this forum (some would say too much), answering over 10000 questions in the past six years - - and if I made it a practice, I (and countless other "regulars&quot could end up diverting much of that time to answering private questions. And then how would new participants know that I (or any other regulars who "disappeared" into private responding) exist to ask questions.

The questioner flattered me by saying that I seem to be a &quot;mine of information&quot; - - well, if I seem knowledgeable... it's because the questions I answer are picked by <b>me</b>. When <i><b>you</b></i> start choosing the questions for me, chances are, I won't know a thing (as is the case with this question).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
anyone?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM

I did this many years ago without a reservation. My winter 2005/6 Thomas Cook European Timetable indicates that a reservation is not requited.

I trained to Santo Antonio and took the ferry over to Ayamonte. From there I taxied to Huelva and trained to Sevilla.

Spain and Portugal are in different time zones.

My winter 2005/6 edition TCET shows only two possibilities:
d Faro 0820 a Huelva 1300
d Faro 1535 a Huelva 2015

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Four years ago we needed to catch a bus from Porto to Salamanca [Spain]and far from needing reservations, we couldn't make them from Australia by nay means. We couldn't even make them from our hotel in Porto the day before, but had to go to the bus company office. Other passengers simply turned up on the morning to buy tickets.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:06 PM

I have gotten a few questions like this in the past and if I don't know the answer I simply say so and suggest they post on the forum.

I personally don't mind private e-mails, particularly if the questions are specific or include personal information someone might not want to put on the forum.

Rex, you are indeed a wealth of information and some people don't share your philosophy on posting. I am glad you are staying public, though, and keep up the good work.

As for the question asked, it depends on the season and how flexible your travel plans are.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I did this last year. I didn't need reservations but I did go to the bus depot and buy my tickets the day before. I think there are 2 ways, one is quick and the other stops in more places. Good luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:56 PM

well if i have abused the posting system i apolgise, most people leave the email addy blank if they dont want personal emails,anyway thanks to all for replying and giving me the information i needed..cheers johncandt
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:41 AM

On Damas SA Buses, your ticket will have an assigned seat number but I was informed (by University students from Huelva) that no one pays any attention to them. In retrospect, they may be numbered so that they don't sell more tickets than there are seats on the Bus.

As I recall, there were a few standees on the bus from Huelva bus station to Mazagon, but only as far as the University
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:26 AM
rex
Original Poster

What I didn't know, john... was whether you had ever posted a question here - - ever - - or not. I didn't remember your name (contrary to what a lot of people think, I choose not to read way more than 50% of what is posted here on this forum) - - and I didn't know why you chose me, other than your vague sense that I was &quot;very knowledgeable&quot;, since I have never posted anything to indictae that I know beans about transport between Faro and Huelva.

But my admonitions are to a broader audience, not just to you. Even if someone writes to me on a subject that they reasonably think I know well, I still direct them back here. That's just how this forum works; I continue to think that private e-mail answers... to private questions... are antithetical to the function of this forum.

Anyhow, I hope my posting this question is seen for what it is/was - - an attempt to get you the answer you were seeking. And I think that worked.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM

and thank you for that rex, i dont know how i got your name now it may have been through a link ,,this is a great site and has been of use to me b4 and i hope i have been useful to others...enjoy your travels...johnC
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
rex
Original Poster

topping... for Terri, and for david...
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Only two direct buses but from Ayamonte, reachable by train and ferry from Vila Real de San Antonio there are many more buses to Huelva - about hourly (from Faro take the train to Vila Real SA and then the short ferry ride across the river, boats go constantly, to Ayamonte and then about a half-mile to the bus station.
Faro-Huelva-Seville buses are run by DAMAS (34) 959256900 and EVA (351) 289899700/1 - the Spanish and Portuguese bus companies that jointly run the Faro-Huelva-Seville buses.
Faro-Huelva-Seville buses apparently run only Mon-Fri except Holidays according to Thomas Cook Timetable - same edition as Hopskotch has but mine indicates only Mon-Fri service
Ayamonte-Huelva buses run daily but less so on Sundays