Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if plastic surgery or hair transplants are cheaper in Europe?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:58 PM
Barbara

I am spending the next 4 months in Italy. I would like to get rid of my "crows feet" and hubby hair is thing fast. I know that some countries are supposed to be cheaper for these types of treatments than in the USA. ANy suggestions would be appreciated. This is not a troll message. Thanks, Barbs

Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:18 PM
Nancy

I dont think your hubby wants to try to board the plane with a big bandage wrapped around his head. He is likely to be thrown off for looking like an Arab. then you will be left to fly home alone with or without your crows feet..

Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:27 PM
Tom

I've heard that penis extensions are a great bargain in Naples.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:38 PM
Leslie

I have no idea about Italy, however, I do know that many go to eastern Europe, specifically, Budapest and Prague for dental work. I have also seen advertisements in both the Czech Republic and Hungary for face lifts and breast implants. I suppose the ads are serious, but I would think that it might be cumbersome to check on the credentials of a physician, and education calibre might also be different.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:09 PM
Thyra

OK.. if this is a for real post. Since I am from Los Angeles, and of course have had a few little things "done" then I feel qualified to respond.
First of all plastic surgery and yes, that INCLUDES hair transplants, outside of a life saving operation, may well be THE MOST IMPORTANT DECISION of your life. People can die in surgery. Mistakes are horrendous, disfiguring, can ruin your life. In short. Frankly, price SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE. period.
If you are seriously considering surgery, either here or abroad. You need to be sure that you have checked the doctor's credentials, talked to their patients, seen their work. In the US BE SURE that the person, knifing into your face is a Board Certified Plastic surgeon. Take youre time, go online and look at all the potential side effects. As questions. As a rule, I would never go to someone who needs to advertise period. Personal recommendations or nothing. Remember you must really trust your plastic surgeon, as you will spend the rest of your life looking at his work.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:24 PM
xxx

No way that you have had "little things done", Thyra. You are too young and look good the way you are.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Thyra

xxx, whoever you are bless your heart. ... naw, I am 37 and like most So. Cal people, spent the vast majority of my youth, basking sans sunscreen in the SO cal sun... plus I used to be a 2 pk a day smoker.. (quit at 25) When I turned 30 I wanted to get the puffy bags removed from under my eyes, and then at 35 I had some fat removed from under my chin. My surgeon did a great job!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Johnson

I need penis reduction surgery. Any recommendations.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:13 PM
No Name

Johnson, you need brain expansion surgery. You are too dumb.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:18 PM
ha

Yes her name was bobbit or something like that.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
GoTo

Brazil-cheap and everyone does it there!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:32 PM
Surlok

True. Brazil is the place if you want good ( among the best in the world) plastic surgeons, and reliable medical care. As the Real, the Brazilian currency is worth less than half an American Dollar, it pays off coming to Rio or Sao Paulo to have such surgeries done.

Besides, Brazil is a beautiful country, with so much to see and do..

I know, I know, this is the Europe board, but since Brazil was mentioned, and as I'm Brazilian, I thought I should confirm...

Regards,

S

Apr 4th, 2002, 03:32 PM
plastic surgeon

Hi Barbara: You don't have to go so far for good plastic surgery. I think you'll be safer to do it in the US. Every surgery, no matter how minor (hair transplant) has its risks (infection, bleeding, skin loss, etc). You want to be close to home for the surgery, or at least where you'll have insurance coverage if things go wrong and whatever complications result in hospitalization or treatment that you would not be able to pay out of pocket abroad.

Also, if you have procedures done that require follow up visits, such as face lifts, breast procedures, liposuction, you want to be able to go back to the same surgeon. As the surgeons will tell you, things take a while to settle down after surgery, sometimes 6 months to 1 year until the shapes reach their "mature" form, so you would want to be close to the surgeon for any revisions.

If you are close to any major medical center with plastic surgery divisions, they usually have "resident clinics" that do the same procedures as any commuinity cosmetic surgeon, but for a nominal cost (all you pay is for the operating room time, anesthesia, nursing) so usually at a cost 50% less than Joe Plastic MD on Main Street. Usually the resident surgeon performs the surgery with an experienced plastic surgeon, so you get both low cost and expert experience.

By all means, explore your options available where you live first, speak to the university plastic surgeons for consultation, then ask about whether they have a resident clinic. There are tons of info on-line. You should start with www.plasticsurgery.org/

Good luck. Now back to travel topics.

- traveling plastic surgeon