Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does anyone know if commercial vehicles have the right of way in a traffic circle? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-anyone-know-if-commercial-vehicles-have-the-right-of-way-in-a-traffic-circle-359920/)

Traveler2 Sep 19th, 2003 10:47 PM

Does anyone know if commercial vehicles have the right of way in a traffic circle?

We were told that a commercial vehicle has the right away over vehicles already in the circle in Europe. Can anyone verify or tell us if this is true?

Marz Sep 19th, 2003 11:25 PM

I can only answer certainly for the UK, and that is No, they do not. Traffic joining the roundabout (circle) has to wait for a gap in the traffic to join.

I have also driven a lot in France, Italy and Spain and I assume the answer is No as well, but I am open to correction.

lillehavfrue Sep 19th, 2003 11:40 PM

It's not true.

Mary1 Sep 20th, 2003 12:05 AM

they may behave as if they have the right of way but they don't!

Steve_James Sep 20th, 2003 12:55 AM

I believe the rules are different for the U.K. and mainland Europe.

As Marz says, in the U.K. YOU have priority once you are 'in the circle'.

In Italy - and elsewhere in mainland Europe - I believe you still have to give priority to ANY vehicle joining from the RIGHT, even once you are 'in the circle'.

But ... I'm open to correction on this too. Maybe one of our European friends can confirm ...

Steve

WhoAmI Sep 20th, 2003 01:08 AM

"In Italy - and elsewhere in mainland Europe - I believe you still have to give priority to ANY vehicle joining from the RIGHT, even once you are 'in the circle'..."

I remember reading something like that before, but I couldn't understand how it could work. Surely if vehicles already on the roundabout have to give way to vehicles joining it, everything would just eventually grind to a halt?

sheila Sep 20th, 2003 01:30 AM

No, they don't. Certainly in any country I've ever driven in-UK, France, Italy, Spain.

As Mary said, they may "elbow" their way in, but they have no right to.

Mucky Sep 20th, 2003 02:00 AM

UK is just as Marz said...however in France there is a policy/law which works the opposite way round, traffic on the rounderbout stop to let cars on hence the chaos around Paris, but the last few times I drove in France the rule appeared to be changing check the signs on entry to a r/bout.. There is also a rule in some towns where cars entering a main road from a side street have priority although this too seems to be reducing.
But in answer to your specific question Commercial vehicles do not have any rights of way over anyone else, they are simply bigger than anyone else and these drivers are idiots.

Muck

siena_us Sep 20th, 2003 04:58 AM

"In Italy - and elsewhere in mainland Europe - I believe you still have to give priority to ANY vehicle joining from the RIGHT, even once you are 'in the circle'. " While it is possible that there could be a roundabout that gives precedence to those entering the circle, 99.9% of the time you have the right of way in the circle. In Italy you just need to look for the upside down triangle to see if you have to give the right of way or not. My site http://www.cristinasweb.com has a lot of info about driving in Italy as well as pictures and descriptions of all of the road signs.

Steve_James Sep 20th, 2003 06:06 AM

Well that's a relief!

It just doesn't often SEEM that way in Rome ... :)

Steve

Michael Sep 20th, 2003 07:37 AM

In France, all vehicles in the circle normally have the right of way and as you reach the roundabout you will see a sign saying "Vous n'avez pas la priorité." In Paris, the traffic is also regulated by traffic lights, which means that vehicles in the roundabout do not necessarily have the right of way.

Traveler2 Sep 20th, 2003 09:07 AM

Thanks to all of you who have responded! My husband's friend said he learned the hard way that a commercial vehicle had the right of way when he was driving in Europe.

tOf Sep 20th, 2003 03:59 PM

Although my experiences driving in Italy date back a few (Ha!) years, in my time, the only sure claim to "right of way" was a Fiat G91 with 4 20mm cannon, the safety flags removed from the muzzles. A lot of powder staining around the gunports was evidence that the pilot was serious.

As for wheeled vehicles, the only sure right of way "attention getter" was cycling the operating level on the M2.50 Browning a couple of times to chamber a round. Toppolinos, at least, seemed to give way, while Isettas could rarely be shifted except by depressing the turret gun and traversing it, sort of sweeping them into the median, barroew ditch, medieval wall, etc..

TMO