Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know how to get the Euro symbol in Word?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:03 PM
Sue

I guess this for the Americans out there. Is there some combination of symbols I can hit to get the Euro symbol? I'm using Word.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:10 PM
tj

<BR>Always check the online help in Microsoft products - it sometimes has an answer, particularly for characters<BR><BR>If you have an English keyboard and operating system try holding down the ALT key while pressing 0128 on the keypad to the right. <BR><BR>If it does not work, see below<BR><BR>Microsoft Word 2000 provides full support for displaying and entering the euro currency symbol . If you use Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0, you may need to add Microsoft euro currency support to your system.<BR><BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:13 PM
Doug Weller

YOu didn't say which version. See<BR>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188081<BR><BR>There's more there about fonts, etc, and:<BR>To type a Euro symbol, make sure that you are using a font that supports the Euro symbol, and then follow these steps: <BR><BR>Hold down the ALT key.<BR><BR>Using the numeric keypad, type 0128 .<BR><BR>Release the ALT key<BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:18 PM
Dara

Click on the "insert" menu heading; click on "symbol"; click on the pull-down menu where it says "symbol" and scroll up to "(normal text)"; click on the "subset" pull-down menu that pops up, and scroll down to "currency symbols"; click on the euro symbol and then click the shortcut key; assign something simple (like Alt+E) to be your shortcut; voila! it sounds complicated but will soon be easy as pie! =)

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Sue

Thanks for the swifty response. Don't know the version of the top of my head (I know I can find it under something like 'help' or 'about) but the alt-0128 just brought up a box. Will start looking through the web sites given.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:23 PM
tj

<BR>Welcome to the world of Microsoft!<BR><BR>You think travelling in foreign countries can be confusing, how about comparing notes when everyone has a different version!<BR><BR>Actually, if it was not for Microsoft, a lot of frequent computer tasks would be a bit harder.<BR><BR>Not a MS troll, just trying to be fair.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:24 PM
tj

<BR>?<BR><BR>In a hurry Sue?<BR><BR>Just copy and paste the euro symbol above.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:25 PM
elaine

Dara<BR>great instructions! thanks<BR>I was finally able to add the British pound sterling symbol as well

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:25 PM
dawn

Alt + Ctrl + E

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:28 PM
tj

<BR>Good one Dawn, Alt+Ctrl+E!<BR><BR>Ignore my post immediately above, the Fodors Site did not pick up the euro symbol - it came out as a ?<BR><BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
JOdy

Thanks Dara,<BR>worked great on word 97 ..I added the GBP too!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
StCirq

I use the RIGHT Alt key, then press 5.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Mel

Thanks, Dara. I've been using Word daily since it came out and today I learned something new!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:06 AM
Sally

Does anyone know how to find the pound currency symbol on word? Thanks.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:31 AM
Mel

Sally, use Dara's method above, but choose the British pound symbol instead of the euro. Assign it a shortcut.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:47 AM
Inca

Would someone be kind enough to type in a Euro symbol and a British pound symbol, so I can copy it to use later? I'm on a Mac. Thanks in advance!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Sue

Inca, on a mac Pound is option+3<BR>Euro is option+shift+2

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Sue

Thanks Dara!<BR><BR>Your suggestion worked great and I didn't have to interact with the microsoft website. And I found out how to get Latin characters in a word document also.

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this and it helped.

Next question, is the symbol before or after the numbers?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just in case Inca..
&euro;
&pound;

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -