Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know anything about the Hotel Rex in Lucca?

Jun 1st, 2002, 08:43 AM
Cindy

I've gotten a lot of good recommendations for hotels in Lucca, but all of them are full for the night we want to be there. I found Hotel Rex on the web, but am wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks.

Jun 1st, 2002, 08:55 AM
bill hunter

hi. we just returned from lucca. i have seen the hotel rex on the net but know nothing of it. we stayed at the albergo san martino: a very sweet little hotel just a throw from the duomo. wonderful staff and close to parking if you have a car. the piccolo hotel puccini and la luna are very centrally located and also very nice hotels. but forget a car as they are both deep in city center. a food tip for you: da guido. great luccasian kitchen, wonderful service and very reasonable. a real food find. good luck with a hotel.

Jun 1st, 2002, 09:45 AM
a--z

-
Have you tried ....
http://www.italytravelsguide.com/luccahotels.html

Jun 1st, 2002, 11:34 AM
Cindy

Thanks for your help. Why did you say to forget a car because those hotels are in the city center? Are cars not allowed there, or is it just to hard to drive, or what? My tour books don't have a great deal to say about Lucca, so I don't understand what you mean. Thanks again!

Jun 1st, 2002, 07:22 PM
Henry Schulte

Cindy, I stayed at the Rex several years ago. The hotel is modern, clean, and has an elevator. However, it lacks the Old World charm and is outside the walls. Try the Piccolo Puccini or the Universo. For more information on Lucca try this site.
http://www.linketto.it/

Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:18 AM
bill hunter

hi. re: the car. the city center of old lucca is supposed to be closed to autos and, i think,mostly pedestrian although one sees the odd car, municipal auto and service truck cruising around. i have even seen visitors with their maps out trying to negotiate this rabbit warren: it is very old and tight, full of bicycles and walkers. lots of alleys and switchbacks and not a great place for cars. park inside the wall at the fringes. please note that the yellow spaces are reserved for parking permits while the blue spaces are open to the public and charged by the hour by attendants that wander around with handheld ticket computers. so there you go. lucca is great and very easy to walk.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:19 AM
x-rex

Rex should answer this question. He knows everything

Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:50 AM
Cindy

Does it make sense for us to spend one fairly quick night in Lucca, given that all of the recommended hotels are already booked (all the ones that you've mentioned and more), and we would have to stay outside the city walls, or should we try to stay somewhere smaller and more negotiable instead, like Volterra? I had decided on Lucca since it's closer to where we need to be the next day, but I'm not sure that we'd even be able to see very much if we have to stay outside the walls. Also, how do you say "Lucca?" Thank you!

Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:14 AM
bill hunter

pronounced loo-ka. stay outside the wall and spend a day there. you can see a lot in a morning and afternoon. it is not like florence. you can walk across the city in 30 minutes. the wall is the main attraction then the pisan romanesque inspired churches. the exteriors. the interiors will disappoint if you have been spoiled by the interior of the churchs in florence or the duomo in siena. however san giovanni by the duomo has been excavated and renovated and has an awe inspiring interior, sublime in its look and feel.