Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Does anyone have personal experience with Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in March or April?

Does anyone have personal experience with Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in March or April?

Dec 20th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Stephen

Does anyone have personal experience with Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in March or April?

Any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Stephen

Dec 20th, 2000, 07:11 PM
Ed

Lowlands tend toward grey, damp, rainy. Nice days, certainly, but overall impression is gray.

In mountains it's still (late) in the ski season. Snow beginning to melt usually. Weather somewhat unpredictable, quixotic almost. Not the best time for mountain visits except for bargain skiers.

For non-skiers, extended comments on mountain weather in spring and fall at www.twenj.com/tipsmtnwx.htm

Ed

Dec 21st, 2000, 05:16 PM
stephen

just shooting it back up just in case

Dec 21st, 2000, 07:03 PM
Russ

Stephen -- We'd like to help, but you need to ask us a more specific question if you want something more that a weather report.

Dec 22nd, 2000, 05:22 AM
s

Stephen,

I've been skiing in Switzerland in March and April -- the Berner Oberland was sunny and relatively warm, while Zermatt was windy, low visibility (blowing snow), and very cold. I was also in the Lake Geneva region in March, and it was damp and cool -- comfortable enough for long walks outside but not good for cafe terraces. Also not the best season to see the area in bloom. Germany, from my experiences in the mid-1980s, was wet & chilly in the spring.

I'd say it's a good time for exploring as long as you wear layers, have a good raincoat w/liner, don't mind sitting inside w/the smokers at the cafes, and don't mind too much missing the flowers.

s

Jan 14th, 2001, 07:52 AM
carolyn

We spent a week in Bavaria last March (beginning of the month) and had surprisingly good weather until our last day! We had crisp and cold, but sunny days, perfect for sightseeing. Our second to last day there, we woke up to a blizzard in the tiny town of Oberstaufen, where we were staying. The next day, we drove to Munich in the pouring rain, and our only day in Munich was kind of a wash out - literally. However, we did not let the rain deter us - we spent the whole day walking around Munich with an umbrella! We still enjoyed it, though - we just spent a little more time in the beer halls than anticipated - ha haha! The plus to going this time of year - our plane tickets were amazingly cheap!

Jan 14th, 2001, 02:14 PM
X

Stephen:
I was in Germany and Austria the first week of April '94. Mostly Bavaria in Germany & then Salzburg in Austria. The weather was just fine. I took warm clothes, but layered them. When outside walking around I needed to take off my coat most of the time -- just wearing a sweater was fine. I think it rained maybe 2 out of 10 days... I realize this was almost 7 years ago, but that's my experience. Hope it helps!

Jan 14th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Stephen

to the top

Jan 14th, 2001, 04:53 PM
bottom

Should we expect, Stephen, that you will be often topping your questions until you go on your trip? What is your desired >quota< of answers?

Jan 14th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Stephen

I really appreciate the derisive response of the previous anonomous poster. Having used this board for about three years
I was not aware that a simple mistake would be met with such hostility. Stephen

Jan 14th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Justa

Stephen, my sympathies to you! There seems to be a little "Fodor Club" thing going on here. If anyone steps on the toes of the members of this "elitist" group, they get stepped on.

I am rather bored with their inane, boring trivia.

They all strive to be The Traveler, spewing endless dribble on the amount of time they've spent on each and every place they have visited and site they have seen!

Enough you social climbing bores! Let people find out for themselves the mystery beyond. THAT is true travel.

Jan 15th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Hans H

April is proverbial for its foolish weather, with possible daily switches from sunny spring weather to rain. March is cooler but normally less rain.

But whether you get a lot of rain during these two months depends upon the year. You could have good (but cool) travel weather most of the time or nothing but clouds. It's unpredictable.

Jan 15th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Thyra

My husband and I always travel Mid-Late March to Early April. In 1998 we were in Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Munich and the outlying areas. We brough our parkas, gloves, scarves and hats, and It was really warm and sunny... It was downright hot, two days in Salzburg, but on the 3rd day it was raining and cold.
The evenings tended to be chilly, and also during the day we had trouble seeing some of the mountain views from haze. But it was overall pretty nice.

Search this Thread