Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does anyone have information on Santorini? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-anyone-have-information-on-santorini-432186/)

ness1dee May 16th, 2004 08:15 AM

Does anyone have information on Santorini?

We are in the process of booking our wedding for May 2005 in Santorini. The venue will be Santo Winery and the resort Kamari as we have 2 young children. Does anyone have any information regarding these locations and/or advice on restaurants that we could have dinner after the ceremony? Somewhere romantic with nice views perhaps?

llamalady May 16th, 2004 02:25 PM

.......if you go to the top of the page
and type 'Santorini' in the search box
you will receive the gift of dozens of
threads regarding this very popular
island........

MAS16 May 17th, 2004 07:47 AM

We got married on Santorini in September - it was amazing! Our wedding was at a restaurant in Fira called Selene - excellent food and view, I highly recommend it.

ness1dee May 17th, 2004 11:25 AM

mas16
Do you know if they allow children at selene?

MAS16 May 17th, 2004 12:41 PM

I'm not sure about that - but they do have a web site (www.selene.gr) - you might want to try sending them an email. Good luck!

brotherleelove2004 May 17th, 2004 04:23 PM

I can't imagine a restaurant turning away anyone who wants to eat there and the Greeks are especially warm towards children.

mzani May 17th, 2004 08:19 PM

Greeks adore kids and they will be welcomed at any restaurant including Selene.

Try to book a table at Cantuccios italian restaurant,serving the best pizzas in Greece (at Firostefani) and of course an alfresco lunch ,on the beach ,at 'Dihtia'.

llamalady May 18th, 2004 08:57 AM

........I'm recommending Selene too -
fabulous setting and great food.

They have a large deck that would give
the children a little more - shall we
say - 'flexiblity'!

We were there in May and it was quite
windy - you may want to take a sweater.
But that was an odd year - we also had
a hail storm!

ness1dee May 21st, 2004 07:09 AM

Thank you all for your comments...really helpful. I had been thinking about Selene. What sort of budget for a 3 course meal? Also, this may sound a stupid question but if Fira can only be reached by foot, cable car or donkey....how do we get back to Kamari late at night..is the only option to walk as my mother is disabled. I have only visited Santorini whilst working on cruise ships so obviously had to use cable cars!

mzani May 21st, 2004 07:27 AM

40 to 60 euros per person for a 3 course meal without wine.

....come on(foot,donkey,cable),....take a taxi and ask the driver to pick you back from Fira

brotherleelove2004 May 21st, 2004 08:14 AM

Fira is only reached by foot, donkey or cable car if you are arriving by sea from the cruise ship port below. Otherwise you arrive by bus or taxi from the airport or ferry port on the south end of the island. Buses run to Kamari until at least 11:30 at night in the summer months, not sure how late in May. Taxis can be found later, just make an arrangement to have one meet you at your restaurant or nearby if it is not car-accessible, or walk to the bus stop in Fira to find one across the street.

ness1dee May 24th, 2004 08:36 AM

Thanks Brotherleelove!! That's a relief!
You seem to know a lot about Santorini.What sights would you recommend?

brotherleelove2004 May 24th, 2004 01:08 PM

I recommend the Traditional and MOST BEAUTIFUL village of Oia for your stay, and for sightseeing there's Ancient Thira on top of the mountain above Kamari Beach, and Akrotiri, the archaeological dig in progress on the southern end of the island.
Fira has a museum, but most of what there is to see is just the natural beauty of the sea views from the edge of the caldera as well as the wonderful indigenous architecture all over the island. The kids will enjoy the beaches at Kamari and Perissa, and if you have a car you can drive down to Amoudi Beach below Oia for a calm swim and lunch on the waterfront.

llamalady May 24th, 2004 01:25 PM

......and you could take the daytime
'cruise' out to the caldera - the boat
is an olde time-y sail type (sorry, not
boat-wise). It's touristy but a pleasant excursion and the kids would
love it.

It leaves from the dock at Fira.

robbiegirl May 24th, 2004 02:39 PM

Good luck with the planning and have a wonderful time. Santorini is one of the most beautiful places on earth!

brotherleelove2004 May 24th, 2004 02:49 PM

You should know, however, that the boat tour is 6 hours long, so depending on the age of your kids it might not work. Check this out:

http://www.thirahotels.com/santorini_boat_tours.htm

ness1dee May 25th, 2004 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone for all your comments, tips and advice. We are relly looking forward to going and especially now we feel we have more information so we can truly make the most of our stay