Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have information concerning the Jarvis Embassy House Hotel in London?

Does anyone have information concerning the Jarvis Embassy House Hotel in London?

Oct 16th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Sheila

Has anyone stayed at the Jarvis Embassy House Hotel at 31-33 Queen's Gate in London near Kensington Gardens and Royal Albert Hall? Is this a safe and convenient area to stay? I am considering a trip during spring break in March of 2001. I would appreciate any information. Thanks

Oct 16th, 2000, 11:58 AM
Beavis

Hi Sheila,
Sorry, but I've never stayed here....I am planning a trip though, and am looking for a budget (<$100/nite) hotel in London. Do you have a URL for this hotel?
Thanks

Oct 16th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Sheila

I only know that it is 3 star and phone no. 011 44 (207) 7584 722 beside the address. It is the hotel offered with a London City Stay tour with goaheadvacations that I am checking into. I was hoping someone could tell me if this is a good location to stay in as it is my first trip to London. Thanks

Oct 16th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Simone

Can't speak about the hotel but I've stayed in that neighborhood and it is a great location - near the South Kensington tube stop.

Oct 16th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Vanessa

I just stayed in this area last month. I stayed at the Garden Court Hotel (30-31 Kensington Gardens Square). It was near the Bayswater and Queensway tube stops. The hotel is in a very lively area. Lots of restaurants, especially ethnic restaurants like Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern. There was also a good Itallian restauraunt, very moderately priced, called Pizza Paradiso (not a great name, but great food, I loved the pasta). Tons of pubs and people were always walking around on Queensway. This area is filled with lots of budget and moderate priced hotels, lots of younger people, so it was nice and lively. This area is very, very safe. I never worried about being pickpocketed in this area, actually in all of London--well maybe a little in Soho. I really liked this area, I highly recommend it. Have a great time!
I don't reccommend paying to go into Kensington Palace, but the park is beautiful. You can take great pictures at sunset.

Oct 17th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Sheila

Thanks so much for the information. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I will have two teenagers with me so it sounds like a great area. Is Harrod's within walking distance? I am changing my plans to June instead of March due to Spring breaks not matching for my son and nephew. I know this will be probably a very crowded time of year and would like information on beating the crowds if anyone has advice. We want to see all the sights of London and hopefully a couple of day or 1/2 day trips. I would like advice on what 2 teenage boys would enjoy. Does anyone have information on the Beatle walking tour and if it is worth the trouble? Thanks again.

Oct 17th, 2000, 09:03 AM
Fwhiteside

I've stayed at other Jarvis hotels ( such as the Jarvis 'International' in Ealing, NW London ). They're acceptable....

Oct 17th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Martha

I stayed at the Jarvis Embassy House in March of 1998. It was a typical european *** hotel. I went with a friend and booked a double. Got a fairly small room with two twin beds. Had TV , phone, no other ammenities. Also the wooden floors creaked and the bathroom needed an overhaul. But the location is great. Handy to tube lines and a short walk from Harrods and Museums. Also around the block is Kensington Palace and Hyde park. I would certainly stay in the area if not the hotel. But all in all the hotel was not that bad. Also the area is safe. I was out after dark most nights and did not feel scared.