Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have any good recommendations or ideas for a trip thru the Burgundy Region of France?

Search

Does anyone have any good recommendations or ideas for a trip thru the Burgundy Region of France?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:49 AM
richardab

I am planning a trip thru the Burgundy Region and would appreciate ideas on hotels, restaurants, sights, wineries, routes or anything you have to offer!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:31 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:54 AM
wes fowler

Route 74 running just south of Dijon paralleling the Route E1 autobahn and passing through Chenove, Brochon, Nuits St. Georges, Pommard, Santenay among other villages gives one an opportunity for some scenic sightseeing as well as any number of opportunities for wine tastings. <BR><BR>In Colombey les deux Eglises, a small historical town just west of Chaumont<BR>on Route 19 there's a charming country inn, Auberge de la Montagne. It's at Rue d'Argentolles - 52330 Colombey-les-deux-Eglises. telephone: 25.01.51.69<BR>Fax: 25.01.53.20. It, too, has a gourmet regional restuarant.<BR><BR>You've selected the ideal area for wine tasting! You'll see many signs for<BR>wine tasting and tours on the roads as you drive south of Dijon. Look for<BR>the word "degustation" and you'll find wine tasting opportunities. Many of<BR>the wineries require advance reservations. Below is a list of a number of them that I don't think require advanced reservations. They are all located in Dijon or in towns just south of Dijon. It's rare to find a wine bargain in Burgundy. (Perhaps<BR>you can settle for a jar or two of pate.) Here's the list:<BR><BR>Dijon: Caves de l'Espace Grevin, 13 Avenue Albert 1er. Open daily. <BR>Tastings in the cellar beneath the city's new waxworks museum.<BR><BR>Dijon: Caveau de la Port Guillaume, Place Darcy. Open every afternoon.<BR><BR>Beaune: Cave des Hautes-Cotes, Route de Pommard. Open Monday - Saturday.<BR><BR>Beaune: Cave des Cordeliers, 6 Rue de l'Hotel-Dieu. Open daily. Tastings<BR>in a Franciscan friars abbey. <BR><BR>Beaune: Marche aux Vins, Rue Nicolas Rollin. Open daily. Wine-tasting<BR>cellar in front of the Hospices.<BR><BR>Beaune: Patriarche Pere et Fils, 7 Rue du College. The largest cellars in<BR>Burgundy.<BR><BR>Nuit-St-Georges: Morin Pere et Fils, 9 Quai Fleury. Open daily. An 18th<BR>century cellar.<BR><BR>Nuit-St-Georges: Cave Moillard-Grivot, Route RN74. Open Monday to Friday.<BR><BR>Santenay: Domain de la Buissiere<BR><BR>Vougeot: La Grande Cave, Route RN 74. Open daily. Tasting of "grands<BR>vins" in ancient cellars.<BR><BR>The following is rather interesting and might be a source for less expensive wine:<BR><BR>France has 14 secondary schools that train young people how to plant, grow,<BR>ferment, age and bottle wine. There is such a school in Beaune, just south<BR>of Dijon. It is the Lycee Viticole, 16 Avenue Charles Jaffelin. From 8 AM<BR>to noon and 2PM to 5:30 (closed on Saturday afternoon and Sunday) you can<BR>taste and purchase the excellent, relatively inexpensive wines made by the<BR>students as part of their studies. Cellar visits are also possible. There<BR>are free 2 1/2 hour guided tours (in French) on certain Saturday mornings<BR>at 9:30 AM. Telephone 03 80 26 35 81 for details.<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:11 AM
elle

I recommend using the hamlet of Levernois (just outside of Beaune) as a base--especially if you will be there in spring.<BR><BR>There are two places to stay--the four-star Hostellerie, with a Michelin-starred restaurant (I forget how many stars, though) and the inexpensive but charming Hotel le Parc, which has the most beautiful garden and cute, flowery rooms with decent-sized bathrooms.<BR><BR>There's a wonderful casual restaurant just down the road, but my mind is blanking out on it right now. I want to say it's La Rotisserie or something like that, because they do specialize in rotisserie-cooked meats. If it comes to me, I'll post it. You can sit outside under a shaded terrace and it's just beautiful. The food was terrific, the price was right, the service friendly (if you go, tell Magali that some crazy Americans said "salut!")<BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Chris

Stayed at Chateau-de-Chorey in Chorey-<BR>les-Beaune-Two miles North of Beaune.<BR>About $150 US per nite-Huge rooms very<BR>modern bathrooms. (2nd floor rooms have 15 foot high ceilings). Includes FULL breakfast. Phone 011 33 3 80 22 06 05. Also stayed at Hotel les Grand Crus in Gevry Chambertin Phone 011 33 3 80 34 34 15. Rooms are very clean, decent size, very modern. About $90 us per nite.(NO TV in either place.)<BR><BR>Also stayed at the Hotel Montrachet in Puligny Montrachet-7 miles south of Beaune. About $110 US per nite-very, very nice. Has a one star Michelin rest on site. Great wine list-food prices were reasonable-wine was very expensive. <BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Erin

Hi - I'll be in that area starting saturday. We are going to Beaune for a few nights and then heading toward colmar and strasbourg. I'll let you know if we hit anything worth trying.<BR><BR>Erin

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:52 PM
JD

You may already know that the Burgundy region is has a number of canals built by one or another of the King Louis'. These are absolutely beautiful and have only small family-operated canal boats on them. Very pastoral. You can take a private room on one of these (they're small) and take cruises of a few days to a week. The general routine is that you enjoy the phenomenal pastoral beauty as you cruise very slowly along these ancient waterways. Every day a minibus picks you up on the canal and hauls you off to a tasting somewhere. If you do a search on the canals and canal cruises, you'll find some great options.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:14 PM
beth anderson

oh man, what JD said! I want to do that now too.<BR><BR>heavy sigh. so little time..

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:00 AM
richardab

to the top

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:05 AM
reded

check out this site.http://www.pilot.co.uk/Planet_Food/burgundy.html<BR><BR>