Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does anyone else discard clothes after you wear them? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-anyone-else-discard-clothes-after-you-wear-them-513952/)

nancyz Mar 19th, 2005 10:51 AM

Does anyone else discard clothes after you wear them?

After reading some threads on packing lightly, I feel compelled as a new but loyal Fodorite to share my packing strategy.
I started out many years ago after a grueling backpacking trip, when I swore I wouln't carry one extra ounce that I didn't need to! Well there went the underwear in the campfire, and the sweaty old Tshirt.
As years went by I planned on saving the old undies and socks, the old Tshirts for hiking, and discarding them after wearing.
Now before anyone calls me wasteful,remember I said the OLD ones that needed to go anyway.
Well we do less hiking now, but still a little so I keep the old tennis shoes for hikes and rather than carry them around in luggage the whole trip, they go when I'm finished.

OK, HERE COMES THE REALLY GOOD PART

After taking 2 to 3 week overseas trips and being faced with weight limits, let alone space issues, and bringing home 'souvenirs' I couldn't live without,... aaahhh memories,...I started cleaning out my closet and saving a Winter Trip box and a Summer Trip box. All nice looking clothes, but you know the ones, a little too tight, loose, short, long. A little stain here. a few too many 'pills' there.
I mix these in with my to take home clothes, and as we travel along I'm gaining space in my suitcase. Even if I'm not putting goodies in yet, they're much lighter and easier to handle.
Of course this won't work if you're one of those packers who brings the same travel clothes on every trip, but I like a little diversity.

Another huge benefit is that your're not carrying around dirty smelly clothes, especially on outdoor trips, and you have much less laundry to wash, dry, put away, when you're jetlagged. And my husband, who I swear still had bellbottoms from the 70's, can actually get his clothes in and out of his closet now!!

tomboy Mar 19th, 2005 11:18 AM

yes

LoveItaly Mar 19th, 2005 11:25 AM

Hi Nancy, I understand what you are saying but basically I haven't. But then I don't backpack. I have taken older shoes that I knew were comfortable and wear them in Italy and then toss them at the end of the trip as cobblestones etc. do finish them off so to speak.

I do not take any toiletries home with me, except for what I want on the plane. That lightens the carryon considerably.

Actually when going on a trip of any length of time I prefer taking brand new clothes as they seem to hold up better. But every trip I work at taking less and less. Still have a ways to go, LOL.

Regarding clothes that are to loose, to tight, I just get rid of those twice a year. If something is stained I just toss at the time. About this time of the year and then again in late September I go through my closet and weed the undesirables out. Anything in good condition that I no longer want for whatever reason I take to our local hospital thrift store.

suze Mar 19th, 2005 11:28 AM

I never have especially for European trips, I'm visiting cities and staying with friends. I take my better casual clothes, pack light, but take good care of them and bring everything back home with me.

suze Mar 19th, 2005 11:29 AM

But from a beach vacation I might leave behind a worn out straw hat or flip flops or a towel, like that.

Bedar Mar 19th, 2005 11:31 AM

Sounds like an excellent idea!

mandavilla Mar 19th, 2005 11:44 AM

Nancy,
Your packing strategy is fabulous, and I've decided to do exactly as you do on our 2 1/2 trip to Europe this June. So much easier! I'll do it w/ my younger child, too, but my 14 year old is going to pass on the idea! THANKS!

cmcfong Mar 19th, 2005 11:47 AM

I do it, too, Nancy. It works perfectly for me. I do have a core travel wardrobe which works if I am doing business on a trip or going somewhere I need relatively nice clothing. The rest is "disposables". I am strictly a carryon girl and this has been great for me.

SusanP Mar 19th, 2005 12:27 PM

I've done this for several years with underwear & nightgowns. I know some people think this is icky, and I wouldn't want to wear clothes that will be seen if they're too tight or stained. However, I'm going to Italy in Sept, and let's face it, underwear & nightgowns for 18 days takes up a good chunk of space in a suitcase. I'll need that space for stuff I know I'll want to bring back.

walkinaround Mar 19th, 2005 12:31 PM

that doesn't work for me. i always take very few pieces of clothing but always the few key "workhorse" pieces in my wardrobe.

i guess it depends how easily you throw things out but for me, by the time it is ready to go, i would not think of bringing it on a holiday.

IMO, much better to take few favourite pieces that versatile and easily cleaned while on the go.

shoes should be your most comfortable and not broken down pairs that are ready for the bin.

suze Mar 19th, 2005 12:59 PM

I'm strongly with walkinaround & LoveItaly on this one. Every time this topic comes up (and it does quite frequently) I picture hoards of Americans walking around in their old stained tight-fitting clothes with their underwear fallin down because the elastic's beat!

For the comment <underwear & nightgowns for 18 days takes up a good chunk of space in a suitcase>... well not if you take say 1 week's worth of good underwear & visit a laundry or wash them in the sink now and then. As for nightgowns -plural- again I don't see why you need more than 1.

ThinGorjus Mar 19th, 2005 01:04 PM

I think your strategy is ridiculous! I wouldn't be caught dead in a "pilled" sweater or too-tight pants. And I couldn't imagine dining at Taillevent is a shirt with a stain (how proletarian). I normally buy new clothes to wear on holiday. Don't you care how you look, darling?

We must live in different worlds.

lyb Mar 19th, 2005 01:30 PM

Woudln't do it! I don't know about your underwear, but mine don't take that much room and as far as taking my crummy clothes, why would I want to look like crap the whole time I'm on vacation? I don't dress for others, I dress for myself, and if I'm wearing a sweater or pants that need to be thrown away, I feel like crap all day long. I've started a policy at home, if a pair of underwear bugged me all day, if an article of clothing is falling apart, I throw them away as I take them off that night, at home!

I don't bring back toileteries that are almost empty as someone else mentioned, but unless my clothes got stained or ripped or anything "while" on vacation, they're coming back with me.

But I would NEVER start out the trip which old clothes or underwear!

Marianna Mar 19th, 2005 02:00 PM

This idea wouldn't work for me either. I can't imagine going on a trip with clothing I plan to throw away while on a trip. I am not a hiker or a backpacker so maybe this works for that type of a vacation but not for how I like to dress on a vacation or at home for that matter. To each his/her own, but I know I wouldn't give up how I like to look just to be able to pack light. I would rather take a few really nice pieces which mix and match and leave the too small, too old, slightly spotted items at home for working in the garden. By the way, most underwear (for a woman) washes easily and dries overnight, so you can go away for weeks at a time with just a few days worth of underwear.

nancyz Mar 19th, 2005 02:39 PM

Have to say I'm having a good laugh over some of your responses!
I never said clothes or shoes that were ready for the trashbin or goodwill. I buy a lot of clothes every year and keep up with the newest looks. And maybe I look a little more closely for tiny stains and pills.
Last year for example I left a beautiful Ann Taylor suit in the 4 Seasons hotel after going to the ballet in the Sydney Opera House. This suit was less than 2 years old and had a higher cut waistband than I prefer now. Have to admit the low ones allow for more comfort after a nice meal. Any way, I left the suit neatly folded on the floor next to the trash can so the help didn't think I accidently left it, and if they liked it they were welcome to it. Then I didn't have to carry it around with me for the next 2 weeks while we were in the Outback and Great Barrier Reef. Now do you get it?
First of all, I most definitely care about how I look

ThinGorjus Mar 19th, 2005 03:05 PM

Why would "the help" want your dirty old suit??? That act was highly insulting. They probably thought you were a jerk.

Ann Taylor is the Olive Garden of the fashion world. I am NOT impressed.

Balenciaga, sweetie.

LoveItaly Mar 19th, 2005 03:07 PM

Hi Nancy, just read your last post and my personal thinking is that you gave one thinking in your first post and a second thinking in your last post.

In your first post you stated "a little too tight, loose, short, long, a little stain here, a few too pills there".

That is what everyone else was responding to.

If we misunderstood I truly think it was because you came across as you liked to take clothes that did not fit properly, that were stained, worn etc.

Anyway, you asked in the title of your thread "Does anyone else discard clothes after you wear them?". And Fodorites took the time to answer your question. We all have different methods of packing and travelling. You asked and others answered.

papagena Mar 19th, 2005 03:09 PM

I'm with nancyz on this one.

It's not about looking dreadful in clothes which should have been binned already - there are always some decent clothes in my wardrobe that I just don't wear regularly at home anymore, and if they're suitable for travelling it's nice to be able to abandon them as I go rather than carry loads of dirty washing with me for however many weeks I'm away.

nibblette Mar 19th, 2005 03:50 PM

Very funny post and answers. I'll have to admit I've brought along some old underthings occasionally that are thrown away when I'm traveling alone. This is primarily when I'm moving from hotel to hotel (sport trips) and can't really do laundry. Have also brought things that I don't mind throwing out if they becomes stained/torn along the way (happens with sports). However,when with the sweetie, only the sexy, pretty things are packed (even the sports outfits!).
Over the years I have refined my traveling clothes. These form the core of my wardrobe. It has taken awhile to acquire the right pieces. These are the nice, comfortable, well-fit clothes that I want to bring back home with me.

nancyz Mar 19th, 2005 03:57 PM

Thanks papagena and others for your like-minded opinions. Seems like there's a little pent up hostility going on with a few of the others...I thought this board was to share travel info not have a testosterone release! By the way I'm still laughing!