Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does a US citizen need a "Declaration of Presence" when visiting Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the below information on a website titled, "AngloInfo". (about tourists and residency rules)

Does anyone know if this is accurate? (I've been to Italy 3 times since 2007 and never picked up one of these. Was I breaking the law? Or is this not correctly represented?)

<i>Note: As of May 28, 2007, all non-residents from non-Schengen countries (including Canada and the United States) are required to complete a Declaration of Presence (Dichiarazione di Presenza). Obtain and complete the Declaration of Presence at the airport on the day of arrival. Tourists arriving from a Schengen country can request the form from a local police station (commissariato di zona or questura) and submit it to the police within eight business days of arrival. It is important to keep a copy of the receipt issued by the Italian authorities. Failure to submit a Declaration of Presence within eight days is punishable by expulsion from Italy.</i>
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM

Please post the website link. Anything said out of context is just that, out of context.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think an Italian government website would be more helpful. Hopefully this link answers your questions.

http://www.esteri.it/MAE/EN/Minister..._in_Italia.htm
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:36 AM

Hotels do this for you. Do you remember handing in your passport to a hotel desk clerk? They make note of the passport number and your nationality and file the declaration for you. I don't remember how this is handled with apartments but possibly it's done by the owner/agent as well.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM

Apartments are required to supply the same information..

Can be difficult for absentee owners - which is why you'll sometimes see threads started by people who've been asked to supply scans of the detail pages in advance!

Peter
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Agree - hotels register all of their guests with the police to fulfill this requirement.

If you are renting an apartment then technically you probably should be filing the info with the police - but don;t imagine that anyone does. Assume that apartments that are represented by commercial organizations also does this for renters.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM

It depends on how long you are supposed to stay in Italy. As for short period your passport valideted at your arrival will be enough.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I did find some additional information on another website stating that your hotel or apartment owner usually takes care of that. Should have looked further before posting. Thanks all!
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 06:36 PM

I made a reservation for an apartment in ROme with Sleep in Italy and I had to fill up the paperworks on line.
Name, address, passport number and expiration date.

It was the first time that I had to do that when renting an apartment.Usually is done upon arrival.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Being Italian, they appreciate the flamboyant gesture. Try singing "C'est Moi" from Camelot at the airport.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Fra- I can't get past the first couple lines of that because I start to picture those incredible blue eyes of Franco Nero and then all is lost...