Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does a Eurostar Ticket to London Qualify For 2 for 1's with Travel Card

Mar 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

I will traveling to London on the EuroStar next month. I will be in London for 5 days so I will purchase a Travel Card. In order to get the 2 for 1 deals I understand I also need to show a National Travel train ticket to London. My Eurostar paper ticket to London was issued by SNCF in France. Would the Eurostar ticket qualifiy to be used with travel card for 2 for 1 promotions in London?

Thanks for the assistance.
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM

"Would the Eurostar ticket qualifiy to be used with travel card for 2 for 1 promotions in London? "

No.

If you want to use the 2for1's you can buy your travel card in any London train (not tube) station. It will work the same way as a travel card loaded on an Oyster -- but it will be a paper ticket.
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM

As janisj asys the answer is no, but as you are arriving at St Pancras you can buy the "correct" Travelcard from either of the ticket offices on the following map

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...tml?rtnloc=STP
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:56 AM

Agree with the above!
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:23 AM

HAHA, the way I read this topic was that OP was asking if he could get two tix on the Eurostar for the price of one with a travelcard.

That said, as Alan noted the travelcard is easy to buy at St. Pancras.
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

One clarifying question. I will buy a paper 7 day travel card for my trip. In order to use the 2 for 1 deals at London sites do I need to show a National Railroad Ticket in conjunction with the paper travel card? Or will the travel card itself suffice? I've read a number of sites / posts and as simple as it seems, I can't find the answer. Appreciate your help.
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM

It can be very confusing.
You do not need a National Railroad Ticket. However you travel to London does not matter. All you need to buy is the travelcard from the National Rail, as opposed to buying it from the tube. I bought mine from the Natinal Rail ticket booth at Victoria Station. It is a paper travel card, and covers public transport in London.
Also, before your trip, print out the 2-4-1 vouchers you think you might use. I printed out many of them, so I would be prepared if in the area of an attraction. We used many but not all of the vouchers we had printed out, but no harm there. At least we were prepared.
Mar 30th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Cynthia, so the paper travel card essentially serves as the National Rail Ticket for the 2-4-1 along with preprinted vouchers? Reading the Days Out 2-4-1 guide they state National Rail Ticket and voucher should be presented when purchasing tickets at attractions like the Tower of London.

Thanks for your help
Mar 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM

You've got it!

One caution. In big stations that have tube and national rail, we asked for directions of where to buy the national rail travel pass and were directed to the line for tube purchases. But I had it firmly in my mind that to use the 2-4-1 vouchers, I had to buy the paper travel pass from the national rail and it had to have the national rail logo.

BTW, when you present your voucher at some attractions they will not ask to see the paper travel pass but as you will probably have taken the tube or bus to the attraction, you will have the pass with you anyway.

Have a wonderful trip.
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM

The national rail ticket offices should be on a different level from the Tube ticket stalls. The national rail tickets will be on the level with the Boots Pharmacy and M&S Simply Foods (they're in just about every mainline station, which includes St. Pancras).