Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does 400 35mm film make it through airport x-ray OK?

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 12:38 PM
lent

Hi all! I did some research on past threads about this topic, but there were conflicting opinions. Some said 400 speed film did not do as well through regular carry-on security x-rays. I'm not going to invest in a lead case for my film, but I would settle for the less flexible 200 speed if it would survive x-rays better.

Thanks!
Seven days 'til my first overseas trip!

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 01:04 PM
John

Yes, it will be fine.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 01:23 PM
howard

The lead bags (which hold 20-22 rolls) cost less than $20 each.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Lori

It should be fine. We have one of those lead bags, it holds plenty of film (about 20 rolls I'd say) and we put that in our carryon. Never had any problems. The bags are inexpensive, any camera store would have them - check your local mall. They are under $25 and worth the investment.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 02:49 PM
Kristin

As far as I can tell, we had no trouble taking 20 rolls of 400 speed 35 mm film in a carry-on which went through the detectors. Is the difference supposed to be significant? I saw nothing wrong with my pictures.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Donna

On our last trip to Paris, 24 rolls of 400 came out just fine after passing through at least four times. This past trip, 24 rolls of 800MAX came out just fine as well (some in the carry on, some in the checked luggage - just stuck it wherever there was room).

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 03:34 PM
dan woodlief

The faster the film, the more likely you will get damage. 400 isn't very high speed. I have traveled with countless rolls of it with no problem. I would be concerned if I carried something like 1000 or 3200 speed. Still, it is good to always ask for handchecking even if you are denied.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 04:21 AM
lent

Thanks everyone for your replies! Have a great day!

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 04:36 AM
Bob

One note, your are saver keeping film in your carryon. You can get strong x-rays done on your baggage.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 06:29 AM
Forums Coordinator

Fodors.com's Hosted Forum for the week of July 31--August 7 will be on the topic of Travel Photography and will be hosted by former New York Times camera columnist/author Jeff Wignall. Click "Hosted Forum" off either the Home page or the Travel Lounge to chime in.
Best,
David Downing
Forums Coordinator
fodors.com