Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about catching colds on vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you usually catch a cold around vacation time?<BR>I do. I always catch a cold before, during or after vacation. I seem to have a faulty immune system in that department. <BR><BR>Anyway, at the recommendation of some in-laws, I tried that Zicam nasal gel. I started using it about a week before my trip (twice a day) and then used it once a day during the trip at bedtime. <BR> <BR>I did not get sick! <BR>This was an absolute first for me and it really improved the quality of my vacation by not having the sniffles or a cough.<BR><BR>So if you want to take that preventative measure, maybe this is something to be tried. It is a homeopathic remedy so it doesn't have any harsh chemicals that I'm aware of. <BR>I plan to use it every time from now on. Has anyone else used it for this purpose?<BR>
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:25 PM

It is easier to catch a cold during travel because one has more contact with others on the plane, in buses, etc. especially compared to normal life (if one drives to work and works with few colleagues).<BR><BR>Try not touching your nose or eyes and some say you cut your risk of transmission. I was surprised at the number of times I rubbed my eyes or touched my nose. You can re-train yourself.<BR><BR>In Japan, many people wear surgical masks. Foreigners think this is weird. It does look strange but it is very considerate. I carry a surgical mask with me on the plane. I use it very rarely and only when the next person is coughing.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:46 PM

<BR>First I keep my hands away from my face. I’m also a bit obsessive about using hand sanitizer and always have a small bottle with me. I am also a believer in Echinacea and I take it once a week, twice a week before a trip. At the first sign of sniffles I take a zinc supplement. You can also buy a “sniffer” of harmless saline solution at the drug store, which will keep your nose and sinus clean and moisturized on the trip. I have no problem with a surgical mask; it’s just that I’d feel too conspicuous and self-conscious to wear one.<BR><BR>All of this might sound like overkill but I gone from having 4-5 colds per year to not having had a cold in at least 4 years. One caution though, concerning zinc. If you take it on an empty stomach there’s a good chance it will make you queasy. The first time I tried it I was in London, second day, my daughter and I both felt the telltale signs of colds. I went to the chemist and bought zinc tablets. Apparently they were very potent and we both felt nauseous within minutes. The good news is that we went back to the hotel but felt well enough within the hour to go back out and enjoy the day. We learned to take it with food and neither cold ever materialized beyond the snuffing stage.<BR>
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 01:21 PM

My problen is not catching a cold, but I have tendency to get a sinus infection when I go to Avignon especially when the Mistral blow..which is often there... I have noticed that, the last two visits to that city, luckily my cousin knew the pharmacist and he gave me some antibiotic without prescription..I am going back in july to visit, but this time I will be prepared ....Wish me luck!!
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 02:10 PM

I use the Chinese cure. It is the green liquid that you put whereever you are concerned about. If I feel a chill coming on, I put it on the bottom of my feet before bed. If I have a headache, I put it on my temples. So far it works every time. I also take the I think it is called ying ciao for colds coming on, wards them off every time.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Kismetchimera - I was getting at least two sinus infections a year until I started using a neti pot every day. It is used to clean out your sinus cavities. You can get it in health food stores in the US and I'm sure elsewhere or possibly online. To me it is like a miracle drug! Plus I take zinc lozenges when I have a sore throat. Unfortunately when I was in Rome a couple of weeks ago I did have a bad virus but at least it didn't get worse!<BR>Quinty - where does one get the Zicam gel?<BR>Mara
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 03:57 PM

Yes. I believe in taking multivitamins and zinc lozenges.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Wash your handa frequently .....especially after touching money,door knobs,or shaking hands etc.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Cold-eze makes a sort of cinnamon flavored gum which I prefer to the lozenges (zinc is the &quot;active&quot; ingredient). It doesn't kill your sense of taste (which is the side effect I hate about the lozenges).I've not had a cold in the last two or three years. I also bring along something like Advil Cold and Sinus just in case.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Mara, I have never tried the Neti pot, although I have seen many advertisements about it at the health stores, however, I do use salines wash, echinacea ,golden seal, multivitamins, extra C and a nose spray, but nothing seams to work .Boy, sometimes I feel like a walking pharmacy...The last solution to my problem is to try the neti pot..nothing to lose but a LOT to Gain..I will keep you posted at the end of july, when I will return from my european trip..ciao
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Zicam is at many drugstores... Walgreens, Longs, RiteAid, Target, Walmart and Costco.<BR>
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Quinty,<BR><BR>One word: water. <BR><BR>Water is not a cure-all, but five to seven glasses a day of water (I prefer Evian or Poland Spring) will do wonders to keep those troublesome germs at bay.<BR><BR>A final note: Rick Steves drinks an abundance of O.J. on his holidays (it's made from concentrate, thus containing much water), and he appears quite healthy. Indeed, I bet he rarely gets ill, especially on his European sojourns. <BR><BR>I rest my case. <BR><BR>
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Lola

<BR>Just curious, how do we know what and how much Rick Steves drinks on his travels and how do we know how healthy he is? I was wondering because some of his shows are shown over and over, so it is hard to know how many trips he actually takes a year.

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 05:48 AM

It's natural to have fewer colds as one ages because once you have caught a particular cold virus, you won't get that particular one again. Unfortunately, when you travel, besides crowded and often less sanitary conditions that expose one to more viruses, you will encounter cold virus strains that don't exist in your home environment--and you don't have immunity to these viruses that are new to your system.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:26 PM

Rufus, <BR>I agree completely. That seems to always be the situation in which I get a cold - away from my home environment.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:09 PM
lynlor

I don't worry about it, but I really try to take good care of myself...more rest...even if I miss something, healthy food, clean hands... etc, etc.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 09:02 PM

Kismetchimera, You mentioned the Mistral when you are in Avignon. We will be there in late April, early May and I don't do well when it's very windy. When do they occur? I hope it's not spring.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:59 AM

I had a cold once when it was travel-time. I had booked a week in Morocco, and the day I arrived I got sick. I kind of enjoyed it. I did not have to worry about work or children, all I had to do is lay down and get better.<BR><BR>There was this wonderful cleaning woman in the hotel, and she really pampered me. One day she ran me a hot bath and put this mud into my hair. Then she washed my hair, and it has never been so soft and shiny as it was after her treatment. It took me three days to get well, and I felt really rested and relaxed after that.<BR><BR>Of course it is not the best alternative to be ill, but it is not necessarily so bad either.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:36 PM

Granny, It is very hard to predict that. The Mistral normally blow in the winter and early spring, but I was there in July 2001 , and we had a couple of hours of strong wind,dust and dirt flying everywhere.Usually it does notlast too long.Anyway, be prepared and if you suffer from allergy or sinus problems , bring some benadryl or other medical relief. La Provence is a beautiful region and the food is excellent,to my opinion is the best in France.Bon Voyage...
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:59 PM

<BR>How about rest,exercise,proper nutrition and good hygiene. Works for me every time.