Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do you think luggage locks are neccessary for train travel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-think-luggage-locks-are-neccessary-for-train-travel-846157/)

JillDavis Jun 22nd, 2010 05:53 AM

Do you think luggage locks are neccessary for train travel?

I was just curious on travelers opinions on purchasing luggage locks for train travel in Europe. I will be taking the TGV from Paris to Cannes. Then, another train from Venice to Lake Como. Then, another train from Lake Como to Luzern. Then, Luzern to Zurich. All in 2nd class. Do you feel it is neccessary to lock your luggage? I would rather not sit with it in case I want to get some rest. Also, what kind of lock would I need that would work for something like this? Where do I purchase?

Thanks so much.

StCirq Jun 22nd, 2010 06:00 AM

No. I've taken hundreds aned hundreds of trains in Europe, and like all the other Europeans on the trains see no need for locks. If you do feel paranoid about this, get a bicycle lock.

sassy_cat Jun 22nd, 2010 06:03 AM

Personally no I don't consider locks necessary for train travel. Bags are stored in racks at the ends of carriages. I'd sit as close as possible and keep an eye on luggage when the train stops (maybe!) as it's far more likely someone will take your bag than try to break into it.

I've not had a problem and have taken luggage on dozens of trains in Europe.

Expensive looking luggage with a lock might be more of a target for thieves IMO.

Standard black luggage might get mistakenly taken (thieves sometimes claim they'd made a mistake too!) so tie on a colourful tag or ribbon for ID purposes.

Christina Jun 22nd, 2010 06:05 AM

I don't think they are necessary exactly, but I do use them, why wouldn't you? I have about a half dozen luggage locks that I can't use much anymore as TSA breaks them, so I might as well use them for something. I also use them in my hotel room to lock my luggage if there is anything of any value in it. Yes, I know a thief can easily break them, but I think it deters casual theft as it leaves evidence.

I don't sit on my luggage in a train, but the cars aren't that big, I usually am within eye of my luggage. SOmetimes I leave it in the place at the end of the car near the door, but lots of times on the TGV, it is in the underseat place closer to me. Lots of TGV cars have places in-between the seats to put luggage.

J62 Jun 22nd, 2010 06:05 AM

No, I don't.

greg Jun 22nd, 2010 06:09 AM

I travel with carry-on only, so the luggage is always with me on trains, and I don't lock them. However, a lock is always attached to the hook on luggage so I can use it when I leave my luggage at the train station or at the hotel front desk when I cannot immediately check into my room, or when I take a bus and the luggage has to go under the bus.

I use a combination lock. Don't buy cheap ones, but be sure to test the durability of the locking mechanism many times before you use it. I had to have my lock cut by a hotel maintenance man because the lock got stuck.

P_M Jun 22nd, 2010 06:10 AM

Whether they are necessary or not I don't know but I use them anyway. If there is a thief on the train he will not take the time to break my lock, he will just pick up an unlocked bag instead. I see no harm in taking this extra precaution.

sassy_cat Jun 22nd, 2010 06:10 AM

Bicycle lock? I can picture it now... Italians in fits of laughter as American tourist struggles to get luggage unlocked.

Don't lock you luggage to a luggage rack and miss your stop!

Luisah Jun 22nd, 2010 06:10 AM

I'm not sure if you're asking about regular luggage locks or special locks for train travel.

I always lock my luggage with TSA approved combination locks. I've only taken two trains in Europe but am sure I used the locks then. I wouldn't buy a special lock to attached the luggage to something though.

scatcat Jun 22nd, 2010 06:13 AM

I have never locked mine and never had any stolen. I travel solo many times and I even leave my luggage including my laptop case to go to the restroom. Never had anything taken.

swandav2000 Jun 22nd, 2010 06:19 AM

I never lock my luggage to something on the train. I did it once, and felt quite the fool. It wasn't necessary. These days, I hardly even think about it.

My luggage wasn't locked when my case was surrounded by drunken, singing, staggering revellers who were going home from the Oktoberfest in 2009. I was coming home from Paris. I looked over my shoulder twice in the 90-minute ride, and my case was fine, no problem.

Have fun!

s

kayd Jun 22nd, 2010 06:36 AM

Rather than locking individual bags, I have used a cable lock through the handles of several bags. Not that this would prevent a determined thief, but the opportunist who wants to grab and run will be deterred from taking this bundle from a train cabin, rental car trunk, or loosely attended station baggage room.

P_M Jun 22nd, 2010 07:12 AM

I was also referring to cable locks. Additionally it could prevent someone from picking up the wrong bag by mistake.

historytraveler Jun 22nd, 2010 07:13 AM

I've never locked my luggage but do try to sit nearby. On upcoming trip I've booked upper level seats on TGV ( aren't the luggage racks on lower level ?), and I do have a Rimowa although I don't think anyone would recognize it as an expensive piece of luggage. Certainly not as familar as Louis Vuitton:) I am a little concerned but really hate the idea of one more item to lug along (lock).What would you do?

JillDavis Jun 22nd, 2010 07:42 AM

historytraveler - I am also on the upper level on the idTGV. If the luggage racks are on the lower level, I think I would feel more comfortable with the luggage lock. Does anyone know where the luggage racks are on the idTGV?

I am talking about the luggage locks that hook onto the rack....

Dukey Jun 22nd, 2010 07:53 AM

NOBODY is going to laugh at you if you struggle with a lock..as if "the Italians" had some magic way of knowing you are an American..they couldn't care less I can assure you.

But like the others I've taken many rail trips in Europe and never locked my luggage

SeaUrchin Jun 22nd, 2010 07:55 AM

I have witnessed teens jumping on a stopped train and tossing off luggage to someone standing on the platform. The boy just chose two that were easy to access, then they ran off out of the station.

If you are concerned just take a bicycle chain lock. I have seen Europeans lock up their luggage, they are just as concerned with their property as anyone would be and they know that crime does happen. Some people never worry about their luggage and others do, just have the lock with you and use it if you think you should.

By the way my friend was assaulted and robbed on a train in the Rome terminal.

sassy_cat Jun 22nd, 2010 08:05 AM

historytraveler, I'd recognise a Rimowa! Classy ;)

Hopefully, it's one of their smaller rolling cases that you can fit behind your seat or in the overhead racks if they have them.

Pvoyageuse Jun 22nd, 2010 08:33 AM

I always lock my suitcase but I never use a cable lock.

zeppole Jun 22nd, 2010 08:41 AM

They're not necessary on Italian trains. I have never heard a single tale of luggage being stolen or molested on an Italian train in any class of service. I have heard stories of purses or pockets being rifled while their owners slept, and I have heard stories of women being harassed on night trains with sleeper compartments. I have yet to hear a story of luggage coming to harm.

Train stations in Italy do not always have signs that are visible to passengers inside the trains, and station announcements are not always made over a PA system until the very last moment. So if you happen to realize very late in the game that this is the station where you need to get off, you can find yourself scrambling to get out the door. You won't want to add unlocking your luggage to the scramble.

It's also the case that on popular inner city routes, the popular destinations have a lot of people trying to get off and on at the same time, crowding to the ends of the carriages by the doors. Not fun to either be holding everybody up while you work the combo on your bicycle lock -- that's right, nobody will be laughing, they'll be annoyed -- or still standing there fussing while other people are now trying to battle their way to their seats.

I have never seen an Italian lock up luggage. I'm not surprised to hear of an assault and robbery on a train in the Rome terminal. Just another reason I wouldn't want to be the last person in the carriage struggling to unlock my luggage.