Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you think it is too quite to go to Italy in the last two weeks of August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about to finalise the dates that we go to Rome/Positano. We are planning om arriving 16th and flying out 26th. WE do have the option of moving the trip back two weeks and effectively being there the first two weeks sept.

Basic question is...just how dead will Rome be and Positano also. We would prefer to be there when it is a littl emore lively and to ensure shops/restaurants are open.

Will Positano still be be busy as it is a tourist destination?

Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

apologies all...that should say "Do you think it is too QUIET to go ......"

tx
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:40 PM
brotherleelove2003

It definitely WILL NOT be quiet. These are the busiest 2 weeks of the summer season all over Europe. You will not have any problem finding a "lively" atmosphere. In fact, once you're there you might wish for something a little less intense. Whenever you end up going, have a great time!

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

I guess my post was a little ambiguous. I realise that Rome/Positano will be full of tourists but I am wondering the extent to which locals will have vacated for the holidays and accordingly fewer restaturants / nightspots etc will be 'lively'....tx
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Bootman4U

A lot of Europeans take August as their vacation month. Last year I was in Rome in August and the area in which my hotel was located, Parioli, was shuttered pretty much (the homes, etc., that is, but Rome itself had plenty of visitors as did all the other cities I visited that month, both in Germany and, especially Spain.

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Positano will be in full swing, full of tourists and locals. Rome is a huge city and certainly won't be a ghost town the last two weeks of August. Yes, many locals will be gone on vacation and many shops will be closed but there will be plenty open.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:49 AM

I was in Positano, a few years ago,the last 2 weeks of Aug. it was hot and lively.
Italy Rules!
Fluff
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Push it back to September. IMO, the month of September is better than August for all of Italy.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Quiet? QUEIT? Italy? Even in September it goes from "unbearably overwhelming" to "really busy". Try to push it back a full month, not just two weeks.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Definately put it off to avoid Ferraugosto (the last two weeks) We made the mistake of going in 1999 and would never, ever do it again. The resort areas are swamped-Positano will be a giant traffic jam (I know I sat in it) and the larger cities are deserted of everyone but tourists and locals who are ticked that they aren't on vacation.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:37 PM

We were in Florence a couple of years ago in August. At the end of August they showed massive traffic jams from the Amalfi Coast to Rome on the television. Not my idea of fun. Go in September. It's still full of people, but not massive traffic jams.