Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you think I should daytrip to Ludwig's castles from Munich, or stay somewhere close? (Mina)

Search

Do you think I should daytrip to Ludwig's castles from Munich, or stay somewhere close? (Mina)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Mina

Hi...still doing homework...down to the wire.<BR><BR>I've done lots of searches, but still am confused. Should I daytrip down from Munich to Fussen/Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau? I've read to go early to beat the crowds, but as this is the dead of winter, will there be huge crowds to beat? Would it be better to stay in Fussen for the night? I will probably go to Salzburg from there. I'd also like to see the Linderhof. The problem is I don't have a car...and don't see easy train service between those areas. I reckon a bus would probably be the answer.<BR><BR>I would love to visit Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but that area doesn't seem to be convenient to any of the castles, in terms of transportation. I've been given some ideas (from Mr. Ben Haines) but I would appreciate some more thoughts. I'm fascinated by Ludwig, and would really like to go visit these sites.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Mina

I'm reading this and realizing that I am one confusing chick.<BR><BR>I don't mean I want to go to all these places AND salzburg in one day. Salzburg is probably my next stop after Germany in general. I am confused about transportation within the three castles that I mentioned. Sorry if I was confusing!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Nick

I like F&uuml;ssen a lot as a town in its own right - ParkHotel in Bad Faulenbach is one recommendation. I know others suggest Schwangau for its next door location to the castle but I prefer to be in the town with more choices. You can either walk to the castles - very pretty, but not that short, or take a local bus (10 mins). Linderhof should be readily done by bus trip from F&uuml;ssen. Also there is a musical about Ludwig that is running - in a brand new theatre created for that purpose. The theatre itself looks very nice - modern glass construction right on Forgensee (lake). As a Ludwig nut, I would have thought you would really want to go - should be able to get tickets on internet. F&uuml;ssen to Garmisch by way of big choice of buses. F&uuml;ssen to Salzburg is really easy by train - F&uuml;ssen is a dead end station as you hit the mountains. ANother place to consider is Herrenchiemsee - the imitation Versailles on an island in Chiemsee - go to Priem (very nice town)45 minutes direct from Munich and take a boat.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Jan

Hi Mina,<BR>Munich is too far for a (enjoyable)daytrip to the castles. I also recommend Fussen. When we did it, we stayed in Obergammerau, which is closer to Linderhof. I wasn't too impressed with the town and when we drove through Fussen, realized that it would have been a better choice. Regardless, if you are in the area, you must do Linderhof as well as Neuschwanstein. What a contrast???<BR><BR>On a different note; are you doing the Romantic Road as well? It is very worthwhile and Fussen is (more or less) at the foot of it! ;-)<BR><BR>Enjoy it!<BR>Jan<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Myriam

<BR>Mina,<BR>If you want to visit the castles, try to book tickets in advance. We were there in June last year and did not make advance bookings. There were not really many tourists and as a consequence there were only few tours planned. I remember that we were there before 3pm and the next tour was only going at 5pm. You can walk up to the castles (or take a carriage ride) on your own but if you want to go inside the castles you'll have to take a tour.<BR>When you're in the area, visit the Wieskirche as well.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:04 AM
rar

Bah Fussen is in no way too far for an enjoyable daytrip. I just did the trip a few days ago, was very easy! Got to Fussen at 11, ate and walked around the town. Only need an afternoon for the castles really. We left Fussen after dinner, and got back to Munich at 9. Was a great day.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:14 AM
John

Mina:<BR><BR>I have gone to Neuschwanstein many times in winter. It is even more stunning with a snowey background! I can not help with train travel. If you can get good transportation from Garmish that is where I would base!<BR>Try and get to the Marionbrucke Bridge for the best view of the Castle. Tour the &quot;outside&quot; of Neuschwanstein and the inside of &quot;Linderhof&quot;<BR>JOHN

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:19 AM
xxx

We did an organized day trip through Panorama tours from Munich to the castles. First stop was Linderhof, then on to Newshcwanstein &amp; Hohenschwangau. You could decide how to split the time between the two. It served our purpose well. The only part I did not care for was the shopping stop in Oberamergau (sp?). We also daytripped to Salzburg. We traveled there on our own using the rail pass and picked up a city tour once there.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:54 AM
flygirl

hey Mina<BR><BR>many years ago I did a daytrip from Munich to Neuschwanstein. I don't recall that it was a pain to do it in one day, although I do recall wishing I had stayed in Fussen b/c it looked lovely - I saw paragliders, bikers, hikers, etc. <BR><BR>Plus, you can see Hohenschwangau on the same day, which I don't think I could have done easily when I went (I didn't leave ultra early from Munich either)<BR><BR>Maybe once you are done with Munich, then take off for Fussen, instead of back tracking.<BR><BR>HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!! CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR POSTINGS FROM THE ROAD!!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Patrick

Nick, tell me more about that musical. Is it all in German? Enough music to make it interesting if if there is a language barrier. As a theatre person, I think I'd want to see it regardless. <BR>We're renting an apartment in Garmisch for a week in June, so I'm finding all this very interesting. Want to do it all.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Mina

Thank you all for these answers. If I can, I will stay in Fussen for a night, and catch my train to Salzburg from there.<BR><BR>Jan, yes I am doing part of the Romantic Road (I've researched it a bit, at least). Whatever I can do by train or bus, so I'll be a little limited.<BR><BR>Thanks for the info on the musical...I will check it out!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Eye Spy

Mina, if you stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (both lovely during winter!), you really ought to visit King Ludwig II's Schloss Linderhof. It is very beautiful and interesting, especially the artificial blue grotto he had built. Also, a walk around the town of Oberammergau in the mountains outside of Garmisch is fantastic!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:07 PM
kjulie

If you will be in Munich, you can also visit Nymphenburg Palace (Sp?). It is one of Ludwig's palaces and it is located in Munich. they have next to it. <BR><BR>The grounds also have a large collection of carriages and sleighs in the carriage house, a large collection of porcelain, a small outbuilding Amielburg(sp?) that you can tour, a large park, a botanical garden, a chapel (closed, but you can look in the windows), and a nice cafe where you can have lunch.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:11 PM
kjulie

Ignore the sentence &quot; they have next to it.&quot;. It was just an editing error.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:07 PM
David

I’ve been to Neuschwanstein twice. Once in August almost fifteen years ago on a holiday (Assumption Day.) The second time was in the beginning of April a few years ago. The difference in crowds was night and day. August was a two hour wait. April we waited for twenty minutes. I think most of it was waiting for a big enough group to make an English tour worthwhile. You shouldn’t have any trouble this time of year. <BR><BR>Make sure you see Hohenschwangau. It has lots of furnishings and stuff inside compared to Neuschwanstein which is basically empty. I also recommend the view from the Marionbrucke bridge.<BR><BR>Linderhoff is spectacular and the only castle Ludwig managed to finish. The Blue Grotto is a must see. I can only imagine the weird opera parties he must have had in there.<BR><BR>Herrenchimsee, modeled as a mini-Versailles, is well worth the visit too. It’s beautiful inside and the part where he ran out of money gives quite a contrast. <BR><BR>I had a car whenever I went so I don’t know about day-tripping. <BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Nick

Patrick,<BR>see www.ludwigmusical.com. It is quite a developed web site - English version available. I am pretty sure the musical is in German but you get subtitles shown up (if I am correct in recollecting this from a brochure - does not seem to make reference to this on website).

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:52 PM
rar

Hohenschwangau was an interesting tour, but sadly rather short (35 mins) and only showed us maybe 10 rooms. I was expecting more.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:47 AM
William

We stayed in Fussen, right down town in a nice hotel called Kurcafe. It has rooms above a very nice cafe, where breakfast is served. Fussen is a nice town and we enjoyed staying there. We had car so no questions about transport. We were also there in October and there was no wait at all at the castle and no crowds at all. Go up to the top of the mountain in one of the trucks they use and then walk down the path. Observe the quaint warning signs (in German) that say in effect &quot;if you get off of this path you WILL die&quot;. It is a fun place to visit. Enjoy.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Bill

We know several people who took the daytrip bus and said it was fine. Probably the best way in winter if you don't have a car. If you do decide to stay in the castle area, we stayed right in Hohenschwangau at Pension Albrecht. You can walk from the Pension to the ticket office/entry points.