Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do you take your tripod? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-take-your-tripod-351687/)

flygirl Apr 29th, 2008 03:50 AM

Do you take your tripod?

And if you do, how often do you haul it around with you?

Not so long ago, I took nothing more than a small point and shoot camera with me on my trips. (the various Canons - my latest one is the Canon SD800IS).

Then I got into SLR photography and took both cameras on the trip but still walked around day to day with the little one.

THEN I bought a slingshot bag and since it was easy to carry my SLR, I started using that exclusively.

Now I'm starting to go overboard - I just bought the Gitzo 1550T tripod - oh what a treat this one is. It collapses to 14 inches and weighs barely 2 pounds. I'm taking it on the upcoming trip, but I'm not sure how often I'll pull it out of the bag since it will really slow us down. When I travel alone I find I take more photos because I am not hampering anyone else's sightseeing.

What do the photographers here usually do? (just curious).

ira Apr 29th, 2008 04:01 AM

Hi F,

I keep intending to take a tripod, but never do.

I use a Canon S3IS and that is good enough for taking pix while sightseeing.

If I need more stabilization, I lean against a wall.

((I))

jamikins Apr 29th, 2008 04:05 AM

We take our tripod, but only take it out for night shots where we need stability. We usually head back out after dinner with that one purpose and so we dont carry it around all day with us.

Maria_H Apr 29th, 2008 04:10 AM

My husband usually sticks his tripod in the case - then can't be bothered carrying it round with him! I've just bought one of these for my next holiday, which looks like it may be more useful and doesn't take much room up to carry around. I got the compact camera version but there are also a couple of SLR versions:

http://www.joby.com/

Maudie Apr 29th, 2008 04:25 AM

I take a mini one that is about 4 inches long that I mainly use for night shots, it weighs nothing and slips into a pocket on our backpack.

surfmom Apr 29th, 2008 04:47 AM

where are you going ? there are many places (museums in particular) in Paris that will not allow you to use it. You need a 'photographer's license' or something to use it. Would be a bummer to carry it and not use it -

baldrick Apr 29th, 2008 05:06 AM

I have a combination between a handle and a mini tripod. When closed, the three legs are in the handle. You turn them out and fix them to the base of the handle and you have the tripod. Fits well on every surface and offers enough stability for dark indoor pictures in e.g. churches.

amyb Apr 29th, 2008 05:08 AM

I took a monopod that collapsed to 14 inches to Rome, Paris and Vienna. It was too big for me to carry (minimalist that I am), so I had to make a point to go back to the hotel and get it for night shots. Otherwise I didn't carry or use it during the day. But I'm not a terribly serious photographer either!

flygirl Apr 29th, 2008 05:34 AM

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the input!

Full disclosure - I already have a tiny tabletop one that is so small (about 7 inches) it fits into my slingshot bag - I always carry it but for the most part only used it in churches (when I could) and usually only for the little P&S camera. It really helped me take fabulous shots.

It's so small carrying it around is no problem - but an extra two pounds - that might only come out at night!

hetismij Apr 29th, 2008 05:58 AM

I carry mine with me, and it weighs more than 2 lbs, but then it has to support a lens that weighs 2 Kg some of the time. It goes in my suitcase to fly as it isn't allowed on board, and straps to my photo rucksack otherwise, or I sling it over my shoulder on it's own strap.

I set it up with the camera on the head and lug it around like that when I'm at a location. I also ignore the OH when I am busy. Luckily he is very patient.

sherhatfield Apr 29th, 2008 07:40 AM

We carry one with us when we travel now, but we don't always take it out every day. It fits nicely in our backpack, so if we are out at night we definitely take it. The rest of the time it depends on what we are doing.

It can be a hassle sometimes, but it is nice to be able to take a picture with the two of us in it and not have to rely on someone passing by. That way we can set up the shot how we prefer, and there is no need to worry about whether someone will cut off our heads or catch us with a "not so flattering" expression! :)

Flygirl - I'm going to check out the Gitzo you mentioned because it is a bit smaller than my current one.

rkkwan Apr 29th, 2008 07:50 AM

Nope. Never.

Mimar Apr 29th, 2008 07:54 AM

I have a collapsable (only when I want it to) walking stick that doubles as a monopod. You unscrew the ball handle and screw on your camera.

hlocke1 Apr 29th, 2008 09:06 AM

Hi flygirl --

I actually take a small tabletop tripod that fits in my camera bag. I'm personally not inclined to carry a tripod with the SLR and lenses already in tow. If I need it taller, the legs extend quite a bit, too. It works best with smaller lenses as to not have it too top heavy... Just for weight reference, I have used a Rebel XT and a Canon 30D with it.

Here's a link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hBf1HaF...px?I=158VCTMTK

Hope that helps!
Good luck,
Heather.

hetismij Apr 29th, 2008 09:42 AM

Heather, given that the 30D weighs 24 oz that doesn't leave a lot of weight for a lens. Anything more than a a small zoom and you will be over the weight limit. Even the Gotzo flygirl mentions only takes 2kg (4.4lbs), which is not much for the combined weight of camera, lens and head.

I guess it depends on what you use the tripod for really. I'll stick to taking my "heavyweight" 2kg combo, which can carry up to 8Kg, more than I'm likely to need.

bdjtbenson Apr 29th, 2008 09:46 AM

I just take a mini-travel tripod. It weighs next to nothing and I keep it in the outside pocket of my daypack. I use it mostly for night shots or group shots on timer. It also has velcro to wrap around a small pole or tree.

I travel very light and no longer bring an SLR. I bring a small all-in-one camera on a neckstrap and keep it tucked inside my shirt or jacket when I'm not shooting.

After trips with the SLR, I decided to forego the weight of camera, filters, lenses even though the pictures were somewhat better. I also found it harder to capture candids with a bigger camera (everyone gets self-conscious or poses when they see the big camera).

flygirl Apr 29th, 2008 09:55 AM

The Gitzo is all in one - no head to attach since it is already there. Not that it would add that much.

I suspect that even with the lighter weight, it still is much sturdier than cheaper but heavier tripods. For the price it better be, anyway!