Do you take Ambien to combat jet lag?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:57 PM
tr

Do you take Ambien to combat jet lag?

It seems that everyone I know is taking Ambien to combat jet lag. They all swear by it and think I should take it when I travel to Europe next week. I am curious if other people are taking this and if everyone's experiences have been positive. Any negative side effects? Call me crazy but I am a little reluctant to take a drug to fall asleep - but if it is safe and will make that first day an enjoyable one rather than one where you feel like a walking zombie...

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:06 PM
michele

I tried it, but didn't like it. I did sleep, but felt very groggy the next day. It was just too strong for me. I'v ehad better luck with melatonin.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Jim

tr:

trust me on this one. I'm in my mid 50's and have fought jet lag for every Europe trip for the past 10 years. My doctor gave me Ambien and it has made the trips most enjoyable. You will have no trouble waking up to use the restroom and certainly no "hangover" type feelings the next day. We fly out of Miami and take the Ambien about 6 1/2 hours before we are to land. We get up after about 5 hours and start our day. You will have very little if any trouble staying up the remainder of the day that you arrive in Europe. One final item is that we use Ambien our first night in Europe to sleep the night through and then we are on local time.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:49 PM
James

My father who is his early 70's took one for a european trip and was so groggy he fell on the conveyor belt thing in the airport and fell on another elderly person. Noone was really hurt, except pride, but he warns us not to try it.
He said it was in his system for the whole day.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:51 PM
roco

I'm also interested in Ambien to sleep on my first flight. If you do a search, you will be able to read many other opinions. The majority are very positive.

Do remember, there is a 5 mg and a 10 mg. I'm guessing that if you are a "smallish" person and took a 10 mg, you WOULD feel bad! I think the 10 mg should be reserved for a larger, heavier person.

Also, since the doctor can write a prescription for any number you wish, it was recommended that you do a "dry run" at home prior to the trip to see if all goes well with you.

I know that I "am going for Ambien".

Good luck.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:31 PM
steve

Ambien works great. It must be dosed properly. An elderly person only needs 5mg and should plan to stay asleep about 6 hours. It you try it be sure to do so at home first. Check with your pharmacist and see if it is right for you and at what dose. Sonota is a shorter acting drug.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Barb

I had success also, and I second the idea of trying it before you go. One of the keys is not to wait too late in the flight to take it. For a flight leaving around 5:30 PM, we get to the airport early, check in, then have a meal. We reset our watches to Europe time, making it 10:30PM when we take off. Get a bottle of water, take the Ambien, and settle in for sleep (or rest, if that's all you can do).

I go the whole route--take off shoes, put on slipper sox, use earplugs and eyemask. Usually by the time they bring around the meal, I'm asleep or at least dozing. Now, if I could just convince my husband he really isn't missing anything if he turns down the meal.

I wake up as needed to go to the bathroom, and usually drink a large glass of water each time to stay hydrated. In the morning, I am awake before the breakfast is brought around, and use that time to freshen up. While I am not bursting with energy through the day, I have not had a problem making it through til evening, then I take another Ambien, sleep 8 or 9 hours, and am totally on local time.

I have used this technique over several trips, and find it really helps to start thinking in Europe time as soon as possible. Also, I started with 5 mg Ambien and upped it to 10mg for the next trip. Don't forget to drink water, it makes a difference!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Miss Xanax

There is more to correct dosage than body weight. Some people are more sensitive than others to medications like tranquilizers and sleeping pills, and the sensitivity can also be affected by other medicines you're taking. Discuss it with your doctor and definitely try it at home. I use a very low dosage of Xanax on the plane, and I'm not a tiny person.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:47 PM
sleeper

I have used ambien for yrs whenever I have long stretches of insomnia.
First, you have to make sure you are not taking another drug that has a bad interation with. Then, test it out before your trip on a non-work day.
Beware that alcohol etc may affect its effect on you. I find that it does help me to fall asleep but sometimes the next day I need a lot of caffeine to overcome the grogginess.
Personally, I think the best thing to overcome jet lag is just put yourself on your new schedule -- grin and bear it. Plan some stimulating touristic stuff--maybe that will keep you up!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Adam

I have taken it the last two times to Europe. I generally don't sleep well on planes but with Ambien I sleep straight through and feel great when I arrive. I am average size and take the 10 mg.

The only problem I have noticed is that although the jet lag is significantly minimized, it does seem to linger for several days. When I didn't take it I would feel like a zombie the first day but after getting a good night's sleep I felt pretty normal. The lingering effect could be because I'm getting older though.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Donna

I got a prescription for Ambien last year for a trip to Paris, also based upon all I had read and heard. I'm always too keyed up to sleep on the plane. And, it's ridiculously difficult to doze off in an airplane seat. But, I wondered whether it would be a good idea to be unconsious during the flight. What the heck if all your valuables are secured. So, I packed a meal, which we consumed after check-in, and popped an Ambien (10mg) right after take-off,skipping the drink cart and meal service. It sort of worked. I got more sleep (off and on) than I usually do. I had taken one for a "test" run a few nights previously and it didn't seem to do a thing. Once in Paris, I took one another night, and again it didn't seem to work. But, the next time, within minutes, I could definitely feel the effects and was "out" almost immediately thereafter. I must say, that regardless of the results, or lack thereof, I never experienced any negative side effects. I think it's "impact" is most likely dependent upon your individual metabolism and whatever you have or haven't had to eat or drink previously. The trick, I think, to combatting "jet-lag" is to sleep on the way over, if you can, and make every attempt to get "on the clock" once there. I'm a "reluctant to rely on drugs" sort of person. As in, I always fill the pain medication presciptions (from the dentist, post minor surgery) "just to have" but never get around to taking. I'd recommend giving it a try. It may or may not do the job, but, in my experience, anyway, there were no residual side effects.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Marilyn

Miss Xanax has it right -- there is more to dosage than body weight. Sensitivity is very important. I have taken 10mg with no ill effect, but find that 5mg is enough. My husband, who outweighs me by at least 50 lbs., took 5mg and was very knocked out by it (no lasting ill effects). The moral is, as other posters have said, TRY IT AT HOME. Personally, I think it is fabulous for long distance flights. It's not that it helps so much with jet lag (unless you take it after you arrive at your destination), but it does help you to sleep well on the plane and therefore get on a new sleep cycle.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Andie

Sensitivity is the key... I take HALF of a 5 mg and will fall asleep within 20 minutes. I took 10 mg once and woke up nauseated. I don't feel groggy at all the next day. And the good thing about Ambien is, you can be awakened pretty easily... it's not like you're totally unconscious.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:44 PM
LOL

James, I am glad no one was hurt, but that had to be the funniest sight gag!

Old guys tumbling all over each other,drugged to the gills with sedatives for jet lag!

They wake up when it is time to go home.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:00 PM
michele

I think many of the other posters are correct--know your dosage. I think whatever was prescribed for me ( under 1oo lbs) was too strong. As I generally have horrible jet-lag ,I might give it another go based on what the previous posters have written. ( I do like melatonin, but it's very mild).

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
tr

Thanks everyone for the advice. We are calling our doctor today to talk about dosages, etc. And I guess we should try it at home this weekend before we leave. Thanks!!