Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do you recommend Naples? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-recommend-naples-232326/)

glenn Jun 18th, 2002 03:30 PM

Do you recommend Naples?

I plan to visit southern Italy in October. Tentatively, I plan to spend a few nights in Naples, 3 nights in Capri and 4 nights in Positano. However, every time I mention Naples to people who have visited the area, I get a very negative response (e.g., it's crowded, it's dangerous) and not worth visiting. However, the guide books (including Fodors) make it sound interesting, the food great and views beautiful. It's also a good place from which to take day tour of Pompeii. If you have been to Naples, I'd love to have your comments.

Joe Jun 18th, 2002 04:13 PM

We flew into Naples last year, got there in midmorning and stayed overnight, and then went on to Sorrento. I think it's certainly worthwhile if you don't mind a little grit. We stayed at the Suite Esedra, which is a good ways (although an easy trolley ride) from the port and the touristy part of town, and I liked it. The neighborhood is bustling and noisy, with lots of laundry hanging from the balconies amd friendly people. We wandered around the port the first evening, then went to the Archaeological Museum and walked through the old city the next day. The Archaeological Museum is fantastic and provides a great framework for visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum (we did the latter as day trips from Sorrento). Don't miss at least one of the great pizza places - - we went to Triannon, but you'll find long discussions of pizza spots if you search here. Having said all of this, it's not a enjoyable place if a little grime gets to you.

Dianne Jun 18th, 2002 05:07 PM

We thought it was a very interesting city and wish it hadn't been pouring rain the day we were there. I'll agree with the previous poster on the grime factor, but that helps to make it what it is.<BR><BR>The best pizza we ever had was in Naples at Da Michele. I would also suggest a trip to Capella Sansevero to see Giuseppe Sanmartino's Veiled Christ marble statue that is simply amazing.<BR><BR>We were sorry we got lost and missed the guided tour of Teatro San Carlo, Sat and Sun from 2-3:30.<BR><BR>I would definitely be careful, and agree on a taxi price before you get in, but would not pass it up as long as you're the kind of traveler that can roll with it.<BR>

mike Jun 18th, 2002 08:27 PM

like previous posters suggested, i found naples to be interesting enough to spend 2 days...some highlights include arch museum, castel nuovo, capodimonte, garden walk along santa lucia, umberto gallery and a day trip to pompeii<BR><BR>i had a better impression of this city than most fodorites here would indicate and i certainly didn't have the "let's bail" attitude when i arrived here like i did at marseille....sure it's crowded, some areas are seedy and petty crimes might still persist, you just have to be alert overall (no different than what anyone would do in a big city) and you should be ok...police presence is everywhere with many security guards around most banks w/ atms; plus naples

mike Jun 18th, 2002 08:30 PM

like previous posters suggested, i found naples to be interesting enough to spend 2 days...some highlights include arch museum, castel nuovo, capodimonte, garden walk along santa lucia, umberto gallery and a day trip to pompeii<BR><BR>i had a better impression of this city than most fodorites here would indicate and i certainly didn't have the "let's bail" attitude when i arrived here like i did at marseille....sure it's crowded, some areas are seedy and petty crimes might still persist, you just have to be alert overall (no different than what anyone would do in a big city) and you should be ok...police presence is everywhere with many armed security guards around most banks w/ atms; plus you've to try the pizzas!<BR><BR>some negatives: like all fodorites said, don't drive in this city! traffic is horrendous, plus obeying red lights is optional...<BR><BR>

Ken Jun 19th, 2002 04:46 AM

My wife and I spent a week in Naples last Oct and were thrilled and fascinated with the city and it's people. We had a wonderful time. There is a lot to see and do and the deeper we dug the better it got. If you like the bustle and challenges of a large city you will love Naples. If you like a resort atmosphere and to be coddled you will find it more difficult to like Naples. We plan to return for at least another full week.<BR><BR>Dianne is correct about Da Michele.

Dawn Jun 19th, 2002 05:00 AM

I truly hated Naples. It is the only place that I have ever been in Europe about which I can say that. It was dirty beyond imagination and it had a true feeling of danger, which I have never felt before. I live in DC and go to NYC frequently so it is not as if I have never been to large and supposedly dangerous cities before. I wish that I had stayed in Sorrento and used that as my base to travel to Pompei and Naples. I think the only attraction really worthwhile in Naples is the Archeological Museum, which can be visited as a daytrip from a more pleasant location. I should also note that I was a young, blonde female traveling alone and that could have added to my sense of the city being dangerous.