Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you recommend flying into Frankfurt to get to Berlin and Munich?

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking to travel to Germany in July or August. I have been looking at flights and they are about $1200 from Austin to either Berlin or Munich, but only about $750 to get to Frankfurt. We will probably have about 5 days in each place, so my question is...
What is the best way to get from Frankfurt to Berlin or Munich? And what is the easiest way to travel between Berlin and Munich? I am assuming that rail travel may be easiest, but with Ryanair and other discount airlines, I wonder if anyone has experience with this.
I don't know if we should bother dealing with airports and their security if we don't have to even though flying is "faster". Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM

www.bahn.de will give train prices.

www.whichbudget.com will give lowcost airline prices.

trains go from f. airport directly to mainz, a nice town for a night if you want to fly to berlin later on.

sounds like a good idea.

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM

While I agree using the train in a great way to travel into Europe, I think you can surprise yourself finding really good deals over the internet, especially in Germany, where there are a lot of budget flights, like Air Berlin, dba, germaniaexpress, germanwings, etc. There were all quite good too, and prices are so cheap, you'd laugh. Of course, if you love to enjoy the view of the countryside while travelling, consider travelling by train.

My friends has visited Frankfurt before, they found it rather... boring. Spend more or all of your time in Berlin and Munich instead, especially Berlin, really lovely.

And yes, it's a great idea to fly into frankfurt instead of into Berlin and Munich.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

One thing to look for if you are going to fly into Frankfurt and then fly to Berlin or Munich is what airport you are flying out of in Frankfurt. Some flights use the Hahn airport, which is out in the middle of nowhere and not very convenient.

The train from FRA to Munich Hauptbanhof is around 4 hours and is a pleasant way to see Germany.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM

I don't know where you are seeing $750 rates. I just checked Kayak.com from Austin to Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin and they were all about $950 on American. I'm sure you've thought of this but you might check flights out of San Antonio as well.

I don't know the cost of the train from Frankfurt to either Munich or Berlin but by the time you factor in time from airport to train station, the time on the train on top of jet lag and the cost of the train you may just want to pay the difference to fly to where you want to go. Also consider flying open jaw to come home out of your last stop.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM

For a frame of reference, I priced one-way train tickets yesterday on www.bahn.de from Frankfurt to Munich in early April, and the non-stops were 162E for two adults, no upgrades.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

I am a novice at open jaw tickets. How do you book them? Can you do it online or do you have to call the airline directly? Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM

I have booked open jawed on line. Check the prices on a place like Expedia to be sure you have a price cross check before concluding. Expedia can usually get a better flight, hotel, rental car package that what you can get for yourself negotiating individually.

As for the train, Berlin to Munich can be booked directly with the Deutsche Bahn. You can even print your own ticket in multipl copies, take it with you, and use your credit card as proof of identify. The numbers on the card must match the ones on the ticket.

If you look at the DB website a few days in advance, you might be able to find a bargain priced ticket.

For example, the flexible ticket where you can take any train between Berlin and Munich is €105.

If you will pick a time and date, and buy in advance, you can travel for as little as €29 per person.

Quite a discount for a little yield on your freedom.

The DB website is one of the best you will use, and a good portion of it is in English. Here is the link:
http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

I suggest going to Berlin. Afterall, it is one of the great capital cities of the world. Certainly you will find the new Reichstag to be opulent, and the architecture of the rebuilt Berlin to be awesome.

I can hardly believe it myself because I first saw Berlin in 1956 when it was still in a shambles after the Russians got through pounding the hell out of it. American bombing did not improve the looks of the place either, but I think the Russians just had a good time using buildings for target practice.

Unless you were there and saw the utter, complete devastation, you will have a hard time comprehending the present situation. I think if you take a look at the The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church on Kurfurstendam, and try to extend in your mind that view to acres and acres of even worse rubble and destroyed buildings, you will have a good idea of what Berlin looked like in 1946. It is a challenge to the logic of imagination, but I commend the challenge to you.

Perhaps I am sensitive to it because I was there and saw the city before it was entirely rebuilt. It was a work in progress at the time, and making rapid development that defied the imagination, but the devastation was real.

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM

I flew into Frankfurt because I got a great deal and then took the train to Munich. It was a delightful journey though I was jet-lagged (actually this was a good way to spend the day of arrival).

Since I was heading south to Italy I went to Munich, but I would have loved to see Berlin.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:53 AM
ira

Hi italylover2004
>I am a novice at open jaw tickets.

Go to www.kayak.com
Click "MultiCity".

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM

We have friends who have flown into Frankfurt and then take the train directly to Munich and they said it was really convinient. From our area, I think it is easier to find non-stops into Frankfurt than Munich, so that was the motivation to fly into Frankfurt in that case.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM

In my experience, taking a train from the airport station was very convenient. Got my luggage, walked to station (a fair walk sometimes), hopped on train.

I've never used the heavily discounted airlines (Ryan, Easy). For me, I'd rather sit on a train and let someone else drive than have to go through another airport, etc for flying.

By the way, our daughter just flew into FRA and took the train to the Netherlands. Husband and I are doing the same in April, our other kids are doing it next month.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:06 PM

I believe that the €29 Frankfurt to Berlin fare (also Frankfurt to Munich)to which Bob refered is the Winter-Spezial. First, these tickets were offered in limit quantity at €29, €39, €49, and €59. When the lower price tickets sold out, only the more expensive ones were offered. I think they are working on €49 now. Anyway, this promotion expires on Feb 28, so it won't be of much use to you.

However, promotions such as this are offered periodically by the Bahn. Last year there was a Sommer (summer) Spezial and a Herbst (fall) Spezial. So, keep watching, there may be one when you want to travel. When they have these specials, they are described in full on the German language side of the Bahn website. Otherwise, they show up as savings fares when you input FRA and Munich on the Bahn query site.

For flying, I would definitely recommend an open jaw flight, or some way to have the tickets linked so you don't have to check in again in Frankfurt. If you would have to check in again, it will be faster to go by train.

Those €81 per person tickets were for the Intercity Express train (ICE). ICEs now use high speed tracks to Munich and make the trip in less than 4 hours. If you are willing to spend a little more time, the fare by Intercity train (IC or EC) is only €67. If time is no object, you can purchase, in the airport, local metro (RMV) tickets to Kahl in Bavaria for €6,60 per person and use a €27 Bayern ticket for up to five people from there. That will take 6 - 6 1/2 hours, but costs €20 per person for two.