Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you REALLY need an International Driver's License in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving tomorrow and didn't get one for my husband, who will be doing a majority of the driving. Do we REALLY need one??

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Yes, you need one - I am sure you will see it printed on your car rental agreement.

You don't need to produce it to pick up the rental car (at least not in my experience (four times in the past 2 years), which is just as well, as twice I left it at home!

I imagine that if you are in an accident, the police will expect you to produce it.

I got mine immediately from my local AAA office for a small fee. You need two photos.

Good luck ...

Regards Ger
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:32 PM

My husband was asked for his when we picked up the rental car at the airport in Rome. Our car was rented through autoeurope.

We were never pulled over but the police were randomly pulling people over in various parts of Tuscany and we saw this throughout our weeklong stay. I'm assuming they would ask for it.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We didn't have one, and weren't asked for it at AutoEurope in Florence. Obviously, it would be better to have it, but I wouldn't worry too much since there is very litle you can do about it now.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:10 PM

No, you don't NEED one, unless you want to follow the law. You might even be stopped by the police and they might not ask you for it, but then if they do ask you for one, you could be in real trouble if you don't have one, since it is REQUIRED by law. How big a gambler are you? I know people who feel they don't need to have insurance either, since they've never had an accident.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Hello clarapist, the International Permit is required by law in Italy. Do you REALLY need it? Well like another Fodorite often says "no you will not need it unless you are stopped by the police or involved in an auto accident". Rather like to do really need insurance? No, unless you do.

The idea of the International Driver's Permit is that it translate your US State Driver's License information into Italian. I will assume that you are a resident of the US.

Therefore if you do not have the IDP you can have your US State Driver's License translated by someone in Italy (a translator). That would take care of the legal problem. Your hotel could no doubt refer you to a translator. What the cost would be I have no idea. Or you can just cross your fingers and hope that you will not have to produce the Italian translation of your US State Drivers License.

Many people here on Fodor's say that the auto rental companies have never asked to see their IDP. That has not been my experience. You will see various experiences about that right here on your thread. My very best wishes to you.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM
rex

There are not a lot of US departures to Europe that leave before noon, even from relatively western airports (but I am asusming that you are departing from the US, and you don't actually say that). If you are at the AA when they open, you can walk out 15 minutes later, with an IDP in hand. They will take the picture(s) for you.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Well Patrick, it was you that I had in mind when I quoted you, LOL. Good thought Rex, most flights to Italy do leave later in the day but a few do leave early in the morning, at least at SFO they do. I hope you can work this out clarapist.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 12:40 AM

Please note that the document you want is an International Driver's <b>Permit</b> and <b>not</b> and International Driver's <b>License</b>.

Don't worry, the AAA folks will know what to do.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Ah . . . folks . . .

See the Fodor's Destination Guide: &quot;In Italy your own country's driver's license is acceptable. An International Driver's Permit is nonetheless not a bad idea . . .&quot;

I've rented in France, Italy, Spain. Only on my 1st trip to Spain did I bother.

As for incidents, I will admit I have never needed to produce a license. I was flagged down once in rural Tuscany by machine gun toting polizia but waved on once I stopped (I was speeding at the time too by 20 - 25 km/hr).

Ian
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Ah, Ian.
Italy is changing...albeit slowly.
My good friend and I got our IDP's in August. He went to Italy last month and was asked for his IDP at the rental counter.

I am happy to have mine for my trip next week.

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ian - The information being given out by the US embassy for the upcoming olympics states that: In order to drive in Italy, you must have a US license with an Italian translation OR an IDP obtainable only in the US.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I admit Fodors &amp; I could be wrong because of the changing nature of travel in today's crazed environment. Every trip is an adventure in whatever new crap the local customs, immigration &amp; security forces can dream up.

Ian
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:43 AM

We have been stopped by police twice in Italy-once in Calbria, and once in Tuscany--both times they asked for &quot;i documenti,&quot; and when I gave them my US drivers license, they were perfectly happy and asked for nothing further.
I have never been asked to produce one at an auto rental counter in 7 trips to Europe.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This information is provided by AAA Italy. As of May 23, 2005, AAA Italy states that either a IDP or a Translation of the US Drivers License (done in Italy) will be required for individuals wishing to rent cars in Italy. The Translation may be obtained at AAA Italy or the Italian Consulate in Italy. If you are planning to rent a car, it is advisable to obtain your IDP prior to travelling to Italy.

So, while I have read many websites that say while an IDP is technically required it is rarely enforced, that appears to be changing.

You can get the IDP application and rules for obtaining one online.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:49 AM

&quot;So, while I have read many websites that say an IDP is technically required but it is rarely enforced, that appears to be changing.&quot;

Exactly.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:53 AM

We drove around Puglia and Lombardy regions last month. We were never asked for an IDP by the Hertz rentals (through AutoEurope) when we picked up our cars.

But now that I am aware of the IDP requirement, whether strictly enforced or not, I'll make sure to have one with me on my next trip.

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:58 AM

i just got back a few days ago...we rented a car in sicily for 5 days from AVIS in the Palermo airport. They did not ask to see it and we never got stopped but it is a very good idea...and it is cheap. so why not get one. it took my brother 5 minutes to get the license. It is really just a translation of your current license.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never needed it...but I always get one. You never know.