Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you re-confirm hotel bookings just before your trip?

May 31st, 2013, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

I was wondering whether people re-confirm their hotel reservations with the hotel itself when you book using booking sites. Have you ever showed up with a reservation number and found the hotel didn’t have your booking?

In the past I have usually booked hotels mostly via email with the individual hotels. Since I usually book hotels months in advance I always re-confirmed by emailing the hotel again a couple weeks before the trip just to be sure they still had the reservation on file. They always did. This time I booked all my hotels on booking.com or venere.com. I can sign in to the sites and see all my reservations so it seems silly to bother emailing the individual hotels. Do you bother doing this?
May 31st, 2013, 05:01 PM

Yes. I had prepaid on Hotels.com and called the Hotel Brighton in Paris to confirm - not only the reservation, but that it was paid.
May 31st, 2013, 05:05 PM

I don't confirm anymore as much as I used to. I've never had any issues with Booking.com or Venere.com - I've come to trust them. When I make reservations directly with the owners of the place (say a B&B where no booking service is involved), I do tend to confirm ahead - but they tend to do it first, too, to make sure you're actually coming.
May 31st, 2013, 05:12 PM

I don't generally reconfirm but do bring copies of confirmations and any relevent correspondence. Last trip to the UK I was owed a 1 night stay at a nice hotel and arrived to find the manager with whom I'd booked was away and he hadn't noted the night was at no charge. If I hadn't brought a copy of our emails it would have cost me a significant amount.
May 31st, 2013, 05:51 PM

I don't normally confirm unless the hotel needs to know arrival time and then I send a confirming email a couple of weeks before arrival. I do print emails and bring them. I remember one instance where I would have been without a room if I hadn't had the email.

I don't reconfirm with booking sites.
May 31st, 2013, 06:12 PM

Yes always. Showed up at one hotel and they did not have my reservation. As I could show that their hotel confirmed my reservation and price twice- I was able to get a room.
May 31st, 2013, 06:22 PM

I make a lot of my bookings through booking.com and I always reconfirm--I don't know if it's necessary but I send an email with our approximate arrival time and restate any special requests (I always ask for a quiet, non-smoking room). I don't think it hurts to have a little direct correspondence with the hotel and so far I haven't had any problems.
May 31st, 2013, 06:26 PM

I ALWAYS bring copies of my e-mailed confirmations. Never had a problem.
Jun 1st, 2013, 12:07 AM

I usualy confirm any booking I have made via a 3rd party company.never had a problem butI does let the hotel know you are likely to turn up.I usually let them know my approximate arrival time especially if i am arriving late.
Jun 1st, 2013, 12:17 AM

Yes and yes to your first para. We showed up to a hotel at heathrow after booking through booking.com and they had no record of the booking. It was a fiasco and took ages for them to find us a room in another hotel. So now I always confirm.
Jun 1st, 2013, 12:57 AM

I don't generally reconfirm hotel reservations, no matter if booked direct or booked via a website. I do take printouts or email confs, usually keep them on my iphone. Yes I have turned up at hotels and they claim there is no reservation (Rio, Hua Hin and Paris to name a couple), reconfirming would not have made any difference. I never buy the "can't find reservation line" anyway, because I know if there is a confirmation number from their central reservation system, that there is a booking somewhere and if they can't find it, then they must find accommodation in their hotel or another nearby, which has always happened, thankfully. The Rio hotel, I am sure they were trying it on when they told me they can't find the booking.
Exception to this is if I am arriving really late, then I do contact the hotel to let them know. Even this didn't help me in one case, where I called the hotel at 8/9pm and said I would not be there until midnight and they promised to keep the room, when I got there they had given it away. There was a shift change and the message was not passed from one person to the other, apparently. I had them get the manager out of bed and find me a room.

There is less likelihood of anything going wrong when booking thru a website then via email directly with the hotel.
Jun 1st, 2013, 01:36 AM

I doubt it's necessary though there's always a chance of a glitch no matter how you booked.

Especially if it's a long time since I made the booking or if I have a specific request of arrival time, I often send a " just checking email giving specific information of where I'll be coming from and when I expect to arrive and saying how much I am looking forward to my stay. I find that "personal contact" often results in a more friendly welcome and it certainly does no harm
Jun 1st, 2013, 01:48 AM

We usually book direct with our accommodation (normally B&Bs) and reconfirm a couple of months before we depart. For an upcoming trip we booked some of our accommodation through a couple of booking sites including booking.com and in each case I also emailed the proprietors to confirm they had the booking. A bit of overkill I know but it has given me peace of mind.
Jun 1st, 2013, 02:09 AM

I usually do confirm when I remember to to avoid any surprises.
Jun 1st, 2013, 03:17 AM

I usually stay appr. 60 nights a year in hotels (mostly on business).
As several stays are more than one night, it boils down to appr. 40-45 establishments per year which I always book via online booking sites like booking.com or hrs.com
I never bother to reconfirm but always had my reservation details handy at check-in.
So far, I never had any problems. Also late arrivals have been no problem when secured via the booking website (hrs, for example, gives you the option to make a solid reservation with cc number - so the hotel does not care if you show up at 5pm or 1am next morning).
Jun 1st, 2013, 03:23 AM

If I book the trip 4 months or so before I use them then I re-confirm. My reason is that people up date their computer, change staff etc and lose bookings.

I always take emails and any contracts with me, it has solved a whole bunch of problems with a range of companies. Mrs Bilbo has shown me time and time again where suppliers try to step outside of their contract and documents seem to solve the argument.
Jun 1st, 2013, 05:41 AM

I booked hotels for our upcoming July Europe trip as early as August 2012.

In this case I simply went to the websites I used to book to reassure myself that the various reservations are still in the system and all of them are.

I always take my printed e-mail confirmations along with me in case there are any questions upon arrival.
Jun 3rd, 2013, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Interesting collection of thoughts - as I suspected - probably not necessary, but a good idea nonetheless. Thanks