Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer the Bordeaux region or Burgundy region for sightseeing?

Sep 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
dac
Original Poster

Trying to decide which area to visit in conjunction with a trip to the Dordogne. I know it would be easier to stay on the west side of France and visit Bordeaux area, but I'm also considering visiting the Burgundy region and traveling to Annecy for a completely different experience before driving to the Dordogne. Please help me make my decision. This would be in early June.
thanks
Dac
Sep 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Of course the Bordeaux region would be closer to the Dordogne, but I much prefer Burgundy. There is so much to see in Burgundy besides the vineyards.
Sep 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM

There is so much to see on the other side besides the vineyards, too.

What sorts of things/places interest you the most? Kinda hard to make a recommendation when we know absolutely NOTHING about what you like, dislike, etc., etc.
Sep 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
schuba

both are good but like Burgundy for sightseeing.

Sep 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM

I have only been to the Burgundy region of the ones you have mentioned and I really loved it. I was not expecting to like it but it is on my list of places to return to next time.
Sep 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Depends on what you're interested in in the way of scenery, but the Burgundy area to me is a great deal more attractive than the area immediately around Bordeaux (though there are spots on the Atlantic coast that are lovely).

Of course, all scenery is a total downer after you've been in the Dordogne
Sep 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM

The answer is partly based on how much time you have before or after your Dordogne sojourn, and partly on how you plan to travel. If you pick up a car in Paris and have a few days to get to the Dordogne, Poitiers might be worth a visit, as would La Rochelle. If you have more time, you can see the small towns in Burgundy, and visit Dijon and Beaune before crossing the Massif Central to get to the Dordogne. For pictures of the western option, see:

http://tinyurl.com/2xoxaa
Sep 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM
ira

Hi D,

Around Bordeaux you could visit, the city, Arcahcon and the Dune de Pilat, St. Emillion, as well as the various vineyards. There is also a nice bird sanctuary on the way to Arcachon.

In Burgundy, you could visit Troyes, Auxerre, Chateau Tanlay, Fontenay Abbey, Vezelay, Autun, Saulieu, and Bligny sur Ouche as well as Beuane and Dijon.