Do you live in Scotland? Then read this!

Jul 13th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Mark

Do you live in Scotland? Then read this!

Hi,

I don't know if anybody has heard of the web site http://www.letmestayforaday.com, where a chap from the Netherlands is attempting to travel around the world for free, using invitations from people on the net who invite him to 'stay for a day'.

Anyway, he has just arrived in Scotland (he stayed at my place in Edinburgh last night) and would like to travel around the rest of Scotland, but most of the people in Scotland who invited him are away on holiday!

So.........if anybody in Scotland wants to give him a place to stay for a day, I am sure he would be chuffed if you visited the site and invited him via the online form!

He has invitations for the next 2 or 3 days, in North Berwick, then near Aberdeen - but after that nothing.....

It would be nice if he could see the Highlands and Islands etc, and of course its good publicity for Scottish tourism, as his reports are published on his web site.

Thanks,

Mark.

Jul 13th, 2001, 12:00 PM
xxx

You're asking a Scot to give away something for free??

Jul 13th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Sheila

I stay out of the rubbish threads which bug me, following the frequent adviceif you don;t like it don't read it" but nothing bugs me more than this myth that Scots or Aberdonians are mean. (well actually some things do..) but it's offensive, untrue and racist; and an apology would be greatly in order.

Jul 13th, 2001, 12:55 PM
xxx

I didnt mean that they are mean - I meant that they are cheap.

Jul 13th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Roger

Sheila, don't let xxx get to you. We know that you are most generous, not only in your contibutions to this board, but also to those who have met you in person. Have a Spayside and forget xxx.

Jul 13th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Jim

xxx--"mean" means cheap in Scotland. You've obviously never been there, so leave the stereotypes to those of us who can do it properly!

Jul 14th, 2001, 02:33 AM
yorkie

Sheila: As the late great George Brown would say, "treat it with the ignorance it deserves".
I'm English and I've seen lots of silly stereotypical comments in this forum, bad food, teeth etc.
I suspect that every country has a section of the populace who are considered mean. In Scotland it's Aberdonians, Aberdeen on a flagday, the greeting Aberdonians are supposed to gave, "You'll have had your tea."
In Wales, the people of Cardiganshire are the subjects of the meany jokes.
In England it's the good folk of Yorkshire of whom I am one. We tend to glory in being canny with our brass.
As we say, "See all, hear all and say nowt.
Eat all, drink all and pay nowt.
And if tha ever does owt for nowt, do it for thasen!"

Jul 14th, 2001, 02:57 AM
Sheila

Yorkie

I know, I know; it's just something that tees me off. (And it's Edinburghers who do the "you'll have had your tea" thing) I was involved with the Student Charities campaign at Aberdeen University in the late 70s, when it vied every year with Aberystwyth to see who could raise most. You need to see the tens of thousand os people lining the Torcher route for the sole purpose of throwing money at the floats. It really tees me off!!

Jul 14th, 2001, 05:11 AM
yorkie

Sheila:
I know, and Aberystwyth is in "mean" Cardiganshire. But you must know lots of Edinburgh jokes, e.g. fur coats and nae knickers, sex is somthing coal comes in etc. etc.