Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you like the ambiance or yourself in it?

Jul 11th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Tammy

When you travel do you get carried away with picturing yourself in the setting? Are you really seeing the sights or are you just seeing yourself there?
I picture myself as another person would see me and it makes the whole experience different.

Jul 11th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Andrea

I'm not sure I'm answering your question exactly, but I have a different-but-similar reaction when I travel.

Many times, when I travel, I will experience a sudden, overwhelming wave of incredulity that I am actually IN Rome, or Paris, or Zurich. It's a powerful (pleasant) feeling - sort of an awareness that I am finally SEEING a place that I'd heard so much about. It makes me feel like I know the world so much better (not because I now possess some profound new knowledge, but just because a new corner of the world has been made real for me).

When traveling, I nearly always have a peaceful, content feeling of being very lucky to be wherever I am. I frequently pause to look around, take in the sights around me, and just bask in the pleasure of being there. (So, to answer your question, I suppose I think primarily of the place I am, with incredulity that I AM there).

Actually, this feeling has been strongest in Moscow in the Red Square and in Cambodia. I just kept saying: "I can't believe I'm in the RED SQUARE!", "I can't believe I'm in CAMBODIA!!" Third place probably goes to Tuscany; while driving around the countryside admiring the landscape, I couldn't help thinking: "It's so beautiful, and so TUSCAN! It looks JUST LIKE TUSCANY!"

Jul 11th, 2002, 04:20 PM
sigmund

Tammy

You should consider psychotherapy.

Jul 11th, 2002, 05:48 PM
carl jung

you sound as if your fixated with yourself.....ego, ego, ego

Jul 11th, 2002, 06:00 PM
me,me,me

I have to agree with Carl. You are probably thinking about yourself more than most of us think about ourselves. It is interesting how most of us don't see ourselves as others see us. I have a feeling you think people are noticing you more than they are.

Jul 11th, 2002, 06:04 PM
y

Good Christ. What vicious replies for a silly but otherwise innocuous thread. what on earth makes the three of you so angry?

Jul 11th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Melvin Milquetoast

I am the one who gets on the plane at the start of a vacation, but it is Michael Jackson who emerges at the destination. Every trip, every time. I long ago gave up attempts to suppress it and now it's always great fun. I just dread coming home.

Jul 11th, 2002, 06:12 PM
xy

y

People don't like totally self absorbed people. Maybe you haven't noticed for that very reason.

Jul 11th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Tammy

Oh, you all, except Andrea, missed my meaning, but then I wasn't very clear when I reread what I posted. I meant knowing that you, yourself, are there at that moment. Not that other people are looking at me, but it did sound that way. Andrea has the outlook of travel that I find the most interesting. You others seem pretty petty and boring, sorry.

Jul 11th, 2002, 10:24 PM
kalena

I have always enjoyed Andrea's posts. Ditto, Tammy.

The level of incredulity is a huge factor. It always gets me on top of the Eiffel Tower. But there you have a name and a place to connect. I am sure Tuscany would do it too. NaPali works, also.

However, there are those unexpected moments, when you didn't know, didn't expect. Yet an absolute sense of wonder sets in.

And then it's the absolute thankfulness that sets in. I keep mentioning Northwestern Glacier, on a clear day, truly God's cathedral. To make Alaska relevant to the European travel board, I shared the moment with a group of French travelers.

Jul 12th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Sal

I do the same thing Tammy does, well what I think she means. Sometimes my enjoyment of a place is part because I do a double-take and "see" myself there. Like, I'm not just lookign at the ruins in Pompeii, but I have a moment sometimes when I raelize that i'm not jsut reading about or thinking about this place, but am actually here experiencing it.

Jul 12th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Judy

Tammy

While your post was a bit "disjointed" I had no trouble understanding what you meant!! Some of those replying have no imagination, just the need to throw in their less than 2 cents worth.....

I agree with Andrea, I have had many a "now I am really here" moments on my travels. They usually come a few days after arrival and are prompted by the smallest things. IE: In London, when getting beer at a pub and the barman said "Cheers!" after giving me the change...THEN I felt really IN London. In Paris, sitting at a cafe early in the moring drinking coffee and reading the newspaper and realizing that 2 hours had gone by!! THEN I felt really IN Paris. Sometimes we can get so caught up in seeing the sights, rushing around and THEN we step a bit outside ourselves and realize it US dong these things !!!

Also, if you truly love to travel, you eat, sleep and drink travel....watching films with exotic locals, reading books, looking at pictures, travel programs and you then have all these "images" in you head before you get to a destination. Once you are there you quite often experience a "me-in-this-setting" out of body experience !!! I had one a few days ago in Switerland riding the Galcier Express. After seeing "Great Swiss Railway Journeys" and Rick Steves' program on doing the Swiss Alps, I was finally doing it too...then as I was chugging along I had this "video-flash" in my mind of ME hanging out the train window a la Rick in the PBS program..sort of standing outside myself seeing it as if it were being filmed by some unseen director...

And to your question, "Do you like the ambience or yourself in it?", I say: BOTH!!!!

Happy trails to you.

Judy in Germany

Jul 12th, 2002, 04:00 AM
jw

What a kick to read a couple of the responses; thanks, Tammy, for seeking them.

I have to thank Melvin especially, because his humorous reply had a great deal of truth in it for me. Of course, I agree about the equisite experience of trying to absorb the moment and the place; but Melvin's comment about reinventing himself while on vacation was priceless. I may not get off the plane as Michael Jackson, but I find the opportunity to be w/o "baggage" for a bit, exhilarating. (So, ok, Tammy, I'll join you at the analyst's office--but in the long run, I think one of these trips is cheaper therapy and does more good.) J.

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:09 AM
aj

Tammy,

I think I understand what you mean. I often see myself in a place I am visiting. I even can picture the past and "see" myself in the past of a certain city! I think that is the "romance" of travel. I guess the problem with me now is that I would rather be there in the past than in the "present" where I am. I guess I really do need a "shrink"! I am happy with these feelings though! I must have read too many history/romance novels as a girl!

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Alice

The problem is that I continue to 'picture me in this setting' while I'm supposed to be working, cleaning house, keeping up with friends...

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:35 AM
elvira

I'm usually so overwhelmed by the sights and sounds (aka sensory overload) that I have no room to ponder. When I *DO* have the "holy crap I'm in SomeplaceAmazing!" flash, it's usually in my hotel room or apartment - after my brain sort of synthesizes everything from the day and there's room for musing.

In Paris, I have an odder thought - I feel very comfortable and familiar in the city, so I am never amazed at my being there. What *DOES* startle me sometimes is that...I feel at home there. Suppose I'd never traveled there? Suppose I'd spent my whole travels in Asia? Is there some city there that would give me the same sense of belonging, but I don't know it?

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:13 AM
cindy

I know exactly what you mean Tammy. When I was researching my trip to Tuscany, I saw a picture of San Gimagnano with tourists walking around. I was wondering if they realized how lucky they were to actually be there! Then when I finally went, I kept almost pinching myself--I WAS one of those tourists! There's also magical, almost mystical moments when I'm away--when I just revel in the moment. For example, one beautiful morning in June I was sitting on the patio of our rented villa in Tuscany with a cup of coffee, just listening to the birds and enjoying the day and was just overwhelmed that I was actually there! Another magical moment on that same trip was on a Sunday morning we were walking across a bridge about 1/2 mile from St. Peter's, and we could actually hear hymns emanating from the Cathedral! I get shivers just thinking about moments like that...

Jul 12th, 2002, 09:15 AM
LBB

It isn't just when I am actually in the location that I am transported by its magic.

Many times while watching T.V. or reading a book or magazine I suddenly think..."oh my god, I have been there."

Conde Nast Traveler has a segment "Where are you" It is a picture and a blurb about a certain location and you can send in your guess about where it is. Even though I have never won the drawing I am so excited when I know the right answer.

Jul 12th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Laura

My faith in humankind is returning with this thead and some of the ideas brought forth by those of you with insight and imagination. Sometimes we get so caught up in seeing and doing everything that we can't see that we are really there and part of the scenery ourselves.
I had that feeling in Rome, I had read about the ancient sites all my life, and then to "see" myself there was overwhelming to me. To be actually standing at the Colussium myself and thinking back at all that had happened there took me away from the entrance lines, hawkers, etc.
It is so wonderful to be able to rise our thoughts and minds above all turmoil and petty distractions and enjoy our own special moments!

Jul 12th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Sue

I guess for me travel is one case where seeing isn't believing. Like Andrea, who has a wave of incredulity, or Cindy, who pinches herself, I have a hard time believing I'm really there. I can't seem to fuse with the scene before my eyes.

That is, until I have a conversation with someone at the scene - a fellow tourist, perhaps, or a local (if I'm especially lucky.) That's when a place becomes 'real' to me. Maybe because after the conversation/encounter it's no longer just a place, but a place where I can remember having some kind of flesh-and-blood experience.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, Tammy, but your question sure did make me think!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO