Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do you know people who have NO INTEREST in traveling?!?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-know-people-who-have-no-interest-in-traveling-42404/)

lynn Apr 16th, 1999 06:24 PM

Do you know people who have NO INTEREST in traveling?!?!

More food for thought... <BR> <BR>I was prompted to post this question after going through the tremendous response on the "wealthy" thread. Many people have talked about others they know who say they want to go but just can't afford it or can't take the time off. Perhaps they really want to go but just don't know how to make it happen. <BR> <BR>Then, it dawned on me that there are actually people who DON'T want to go. As unbelieveable as this sounds to us Travel Addicts, there are people who don't care. I know an older couple who have plenty of means but no interest in going anywhere but the U.S. They take lots of road trips but have only left the U.S. border once in all their years (and it wasn't Europe) <BR> <BR>I asked them why. They really didn't have much to say. They said they like seeing all the history of our country. I don't blame them for that but quite a bit of our history is over in Europe! You would think they would want to go at least once and see London and Paris is nothing else. Especially since they can well afford it. <BR> <BR>I also have a business associate who is going to Paris in the fall with a girlfriend because her husband just refuses to go. He wants to hike and water ski. That's it. Now, I'm not bashing these activies, I think that's fine but there is more to life than hiking and water skiing. At least, in my never to be humble opinion... <BR> <BR>So, do you know any people like this or am I the only one?

Lori Apr 16th, 1999 06:40 PM

I absolutely know people who have no interest in travelling and what a shame that is. I don't mean that they have to go to Europe each time, but these are people who take two weeks off of work to go to the local beach. They certainly have the means as they both work and have no kids. But as I stated in the 'wealthy' thread, it all comes down to priorities. These people find that driving a new Lexus and doing all sorts of renovations on their home more important. Hey, nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to do. But don't berate those of us who would rather live modestly but travel, be it in the US or Europe or anywhere else. <BR>

raeona Apr 16th, 1999 06:40 PM

To be fair, Lynn, I don't think someone who traverses this country can be said to have "No interest" in travelling. There is a wealth of wonders to be discovered on this continent and I wouldn't scoff at anyone who chose to do so. In some cases, I think that the idea of venturing is just really intimidating or overwhelming and it's just not "in" some people to try it. On the other hand...the true stay-at-homes...those who don't even bother to find out what treasures are beyond their own doorsteps, are a breed that I don't understand...and pity. But then, they usually are folks who can't see beyond the tip of their own noses, anyway, yes? (And I don't mean those who would dearly love to explore the nooks and crannies of this earth, but whose cirucmstances have denied them the means.)

raeona Apr 16th, 1999 06:42 PM

oops, sorry. that was sposed to be "venturing...overseas"....

amber Apr 16th, 1999 06:47 PM

<BR>Hello Lynn <BR>Yes, I do know somebody who has no interest in travel, and it drives me crazy. As a kid, I always wanted to go places but my dad, the travel-avert, didn't want to. Consequently, we took day trips around southern Ontario. Not the most exciting thing, let me tell you. <BR>Oh well. Now that I'm a little older, hopefully I can see what I want! <BR>amber <BR>

lynn Apr 16th, 1999 06:49 PM

Raeona - <BR> <BR>I am certainly not scoffing and don't mean to sound like I am. I agree that there are great things to see in this country. I just don't understand people who are so interested in history but have no desire to visit some of the most historic places in the world. Places that shaped the way of the world as we know it today. <BR> <BR>I guess these differences are what make life interesting and give us so much to talk about on this site! <BR> <BR>Here's to Your Next Trip!

KT Apr 16th, 1999 06:51 PM

I once had a friend who didn't just have no interest in traveling, but positively disliked it. And she was definitely not a narrow-minded know-nothing or xenophobe. She was extremely well-read, inquisitive, broad-minded, politically active, socially aware, knowledgable about history and sociology, etc. She just said that she was a homebody and was uncomfortable far from her nest. When her husband got a chance to work in London for three months and she was able to join him, she was far from thrilled. Well, I wouldn't bungee-jump or snowboard for love or money, so I guess we all have our comfort zones....

Denise Apr 16th, 1999 10:28 PM

I was born in a southern state of Australia, came to a nothern state for a few years as a teenager with my parents. We returned south, where I worked, married and had my children. After a few years my husband children and I came back to this northern state to live and have been here 20 years. After the first couple of years my old school had a reunion which I attended, met up with old friends. I would say with the exception of two, none had ventured more than 100 kms in all those years. After 20 years, we are due to have another reunion this year, so time will tell if they have changed. I know one couple who don't want to, and certainly don't go out of their own area. I have noticed this with older northern state people in this 20 years. All my friends from the southern state have travelled far and wide. Younger ones now do venture overseas I will admit. What is the problem here? I was a fish out of water, 20 years ago, having travelled overseas a few times, moved interstate twice, travelled eastern and southern Australia and itching to go again. You will notice I have not mentioned states I want to go to this reunion, and come home in one piece. <BR>

Juan Apr 16th, 1999 11:31 PM

<BR>Oh definately yes. And I am *totally bewildered* by this, I admit. I never will understand some people, I tell you. Take my parents for instance. My father went overseas once in his life...cause he was drafted and sent there. He never fought, he just typed reports but he hated the island he was on and has never been outside the states since. My mom never went further than a few local states. I also have some friends who *used* to say they had no interest in travel. Interestingly enough both later married someone who like travel so they both finally made it to Europe in their 40s...and loved it! One has been back 3 times since even. But I do know some folks hate travel which is something I will never understand. But then lots of people like TV which is another thing I will never understand.

Maira Apr 17th, 1999 02:20 AM

One time, a person at work made the following statement when I asked her about her interest in travel. She said-"Why should I spend any money in something I would have nothing to show for."- <BR> <BR>Talking about materialistic....

Al Apr 17th, 1999 05:19 AM

All of you have struck a responsive chord: there simply are some people who do not wish to change. Growing up in Chicago, we had friends whose idea of a vacation was to go to a camp in Wisconsin. Year after year after year. When asked why they did not do something different, they would give us blank looks and say, "But we have ALWAYS gone up to the lake. It's a tradition." <BR>We have other friends who only will consider taking a holiday in another country where the language is English. Talk about people who are missing something! I recall asking one of these friends why this was so. Her response: "I did not like studying French in high school." Since there is no logic in this way of thinking, and the woman was living in the past, there was no room for discussion. Just let it go, and do your own thing! Enjoy! The capper came when we told friends that we were going to East Africa several years ago. Their response: "We can go to the zoo if we want to see animals...and think of the money we save." Sheesh.

Myriam Apr 17th, 1999 06:11 AM

Yes Lynn, I know someone who absolutely hates to travel: our own son, can you imagine? My husband and me are constantly speaking about "where shall we go next time" and the only thing he replies is "I'm not going with you". He is 16 now and the last years my mother took care of him when we were on holiday because vacationing with a child that absolutely WANTS TO STAY HOME, is not relaxing, not for us and not for him. <BR>But with a very bad summer behind us (1998 was wet, wet, wet) and our son being bored the whole school vacation (8 weeks) we have been able to convince him to go with us this summer to a warm and sunny place that we have mutually chosen. <BR>I wonder how it will be!

Molly Apr 17th, 1999 02:05 PM

Lynn, Great topic! I know a lot of people who say they have no interest in traveling...usually they actually are busy raising families, so I'd say that's a good reason. My husband and I will be married 27 years in June and never were able to have children. We both grew up middle class and have lived in the same area all our lives. We have made traveling a big part of our lives. We've always felt the US is a great place and have seen a lot of it but we've tried to concentrate on foreign countries to sight see and to mingle with people and to learn about other cultures. We both feel that when we are older we concentrate on the US and see more of our own country. I think I get frustrated when people use the excuse not to go abroad because its better to see our own country first. I feel the world is ours so why not see it.

ilisa Apr 17th, 1999 03:42 PM

My husband is in the process of purchasing from a co-worker two roundtrip tickets on Icelandair for $300. The guy won them, but doesn't want them because his wife doesn't want to travel overseas because she doesn't want to fly over water. I can't even imagine living like that.

Bob Brown Apr 17th, 1999 08:36 PM

I think the operative words here are "no interest". I have several old friends and relatives who no longer travel because of health concerns and problems, but that does not mean that they are not interested in others who are still fortunate enough to see new places or that they have not gone places in years past. And I know people whose current economic circumstance precludes travel planning. In the former case, the travel-broadend mind set is till their; in the latter case, postponed by no means signifies theye have abandoned the idea. <BR>The few people I know who are finaicially able, but who rarely, if ever, travel, are limited in their outlook. I cannot identify with them because we have so little in common, so little in fact that once we get beyond the "hello" stage, I find it hard to talk with them about something other than the weather and perhaps the most recent football games. (I don't watch soap operas or Jerry Springer!!) <BR> <BR>As for not wanting to go to Europe, I can understand that. There is a lot to see in the United States. It is something of a trade-off for me to chose among my favorite National Parks of the West, Alaska, and Europe. This year I took a part-time job in retirement to have enough money for two major trips: one to Yellowstone and Glacier and one to Paris and the Alps. I really don't think people who travel widely in the USA are in the same league as people who confine their travels to trips across town, or who consider a trip to Dollywood to be a once in a lifetime endeavor, or who consider Las Vegas to be their only tourist Mecca. Those of us who venture to Europe and beyond seem more philosophical and inquisitive about our trips. We also seem to prepare more diligently and to have very definite travel objectives and goals. For comparison, read through the European forum, then scan the most recent 100 messages on the US forum and 50 on the Canada forum. I am willing to bet that you will notice a difference in the type of questions asked, and the depth of the responses. I am not trying to stir up a fight here, because I reply frequently to USA and Canada inquiries. <BR>But the three different forums do have a style and a tone of their own. Be interesting to read what others think on this issue. One thing is for sure, I don't recall seeing this type of philosophical exchange elsewhere. On no other forum have we had the Tacky Tourist, the Revenge of the Tacky Tourist, and the Anti Tacky Tourist Brigade! Fun reading! <BR> <BR>

Adrienne Apr 18th, 1999 07:25 AM

Lynn, <BR> <BR>Love this question. I know MANY people who have no interest in traveling. They have enough money to travel and enough time off from work (or are retired) and have no desire to go anywhere. This simply amazes me. I have one friend who went to London a couple of years ago because a bunch of us love to travel and talk about traveling and she felt left out of the experience. I think she enjoyed the trip after she went but wasn't all that anxious to get there (i.e., she still wasn't packed the night before and all she worried about was that she didn't have the VAT forms to fill out in advance - and this is from someone who never shops). I have another friend who loves to talk about traveling but I can't get her to go anywhere (even NY city which is about 30 miles away). <BR> <BR>I think I used to try to convince people to travel because of the wonderful and varied experiences. But I don't bother any more. I figure if people have excuses why they don't travel they simply don't want to. With airplanes and popular places in Europe becoming so crowded I'm sort of glad that more people don't travel. <BR> <BR>I am very greatful to the woman I worked with who encouraged me to take my first trip to England when I was 20. She talked about Europe so much (she and her husband were stationed in several places while he was in the military) that I finally bought a suitcase, guidebook, and passport, booked a flight and went without any plans or hotels (much to my parents' distress). There were lots of problems (minor) that first trip but it was a learning experience that I wouldn't trade for anything...the people I met and places I went that no one else I knew had gone to. It was my first time on a plane and my first time on vacation without my parents. I was definitely an innocent abroad but returned home with memories I still have today. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR>

gina Apr 18th, 1999 01:24 PM

Lynne, what I think is sad is when one half of a couple wants to travel and the other half does not. My mother-in-law raised 5 sons while her husband travelled a lot on business. Then when all of the sons were out of the house, she said "let's go" and he said "I think not". Unfortunately theirs was a marriage where he held the purse strings, too. Another example I can think of that encourages the "do it now" attitude is my best friend's parents. When their 4 kids were all out of college, they planned to travel. But my friend's mom developed lupus right about then and couldn't do anything due to medical treatment. Travel now. Take your kids. Enjoy every moment. But somebody please tell me how to cure the fear of flying! <BR>

Joanna Apr 18th, 1999 06:11 PM

My partner is not interested in leaving Australia. He is content to go for holidays to his farm and play the farmer and shoot feral animals. His friends are the same. Mine all love travelling and I therefore go with my girlfriends and sometimes another male friend - we all have the same interests : history, archaeology, architecture, art, immersing ourselves in other cultures and an indefatigable wanderlust.

Vincent Apr 19th, 1999 05:53 AM

You might think that people in Europe are different : after all, we on average get 5 weeks' vacation, and within an hour's flight, you are able to choose between four or five countries. Well, if you look at the statistics, in France at least, you'll realize that 40 % don't take any vacation AT ALL (statistically, four days in a row out of your home, which isn't much). And among the remaining, 85 % take it in France. I don't know the figures for vacations taken outside Europe, but it should be something like 2 or 3 % ! As amazing as it sounds, I do know some Parisian yuppies who hardly ever travel for their vacation, except to see relatives. I used to be very judgmental towards those people, but I've been told so many times that I was intolerant and biased, that I am more politically correct now...

dan Apr 19th, 1999 06:13 AM

Another interesting topic. Unfortunately, as I said in the thread that prompted this one, I have known lots and lots and lots of people like this. If someone can't go, that is one thing. However, I have met so many people who simply just don't want to and who truly don't think they are missing out on anything. I frequent all the Fodors sites, and I have noticed the same things as Bob about the differences. The Europe forum is by far the most interesting. The Latin American and Asian are decent too, but the replies are much fewer, and the Latin American ones concentrate too heavily on the Mexican resorts sometimes. The U.S. forum gets a lot of replies, but the tone is different. Bob brought up another good point too. I think we face the same dilemma. I am an avid nature and travel photographer. How do I use two weeks of vacation a year to to Europe, Asia, Mexico, etc. and still see the beauty of the U.S. without waiting until retirement? It's a tough choice. Luckily, North Carolina has nice mountains and coastal areas to assuage some of the desire for nature subjects - good long weekend destinations. <BR> <BR>My wife works with someone who recently had (I emphasize had) to go to Germany recently (her first trip to Europe)to attend a wedding. She was not only concerned about how the German family her relative was marrying into would receive her, but she acted like she was going to another world. I don't think she did any real site-seeing while she was there. She must be petrified when my wife talks about our travels in China. <BR> <BR>Basically, I don't criticize people who feel this way. To each his own, but I do feel like they are short-changing themselves by not going out to experience other cultures. I cannot possibly imagine myself going through life like that.