Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   DO YOU KNOW ANY GOOD IRELAND SITES? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-know-any-good-ireland-sites-25446/)

Allyson May 6th, 1998 12:08 PM

DO YOU KNOW ANY GOOD IRELAND SITES?

Please share the best sites in Ireland. thank you very much for your help

Sonya May 6th, 1998 01:11 PM

Hi Ally!

Im glad that i have found someone that is interested in Ireland i myself am planning a trip there in 99 or 2000. If you are talking about websites the only thing that i have been able to dig up was through books like Fodors Frommers at the local library was my biggest source of info. there is a REALLY good book is called Eyewitness
its like fodors but much better it has a lot of maps and photos that i know youll love.
If your talking about great places to see in Ireland i suggest Bunratty Castle in county Kerry i think but also what i found is through a little research you can find a lot! if your like me and hate research than i suggest the Eyewitness book check it out its great! i hope i have been of some help. Keep me posted!

Mike Miller May 6th, 1998 04:42 PM

Here are the 3 I use.
http://www.bess.tcd.ie/ireland.htm
http://boris.qub.ac.uk/andrew/ireland/
http://www.visitus.co.uk/

Tricia May 6th, 1998 08:07 PM

Oops, I thought you wanted Ireland Websites and went to get you a few; then came in here and think you mean "sights" like places to go?? Anyways here is the Official Irish Tourist Board home page and i was very taken with the pictures and descriptions. Am going to have to go someday! http://www.interknowlege.com/norther...and/index.html. Has lots of links!

Amy May 7th, 1998 07:18 AM

Another great site is at www.iol.ie/~discover/welcome.htm. It's called An Interactive Travel Guide to the Best of Ireland. If you are planning to go soon, feel free to email me with any questions. I've been going over there for almost ten years now and would be happy to answer your questions.

Maureen May 9th, 1998 09:19 AM

If you have time to include Northern Ireland in your plans, by all means do!!

Dont't miss the Giant's Causeway, which is one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World. It is unbelieveable. Also, close by is the Bushmill"S Distillery. The drive along the Antrim coast is spectacular.

The Walled City of Derry is wonderful with many great shops.

There is a fairly new Radisson Roe Park in Limavady (about 15 mi from Derry) with a golf course that is very nice. The town of Limavady itself is a great little Georgian town and is best known for the place where Londonderry Air (Danny Boy) was written. It's author Jane Ross is buried there.

I have been to N Ireland several times due to my association with the Ulster Project. This is a project for peace in Northern Ireland which works through it's youth (14-16 year olds).

If you would like anymore information on N Ireland, please email me.

I

t

a

Jill May 14th, 1998 07:42 PM

Hi! Ireland is absolutely wonderful. I was there in the fall of 1990. My plan was to travel from France to South Ireland and work my way west then north. I started in County Kerry in Killarney and never left. I ended up spending two weeks there. We rented mountain bikes and rode through the Gap of Dunlow (this is the scene behind the man in the Irish Spring soap commercials!). We also spent a lot of time hiking through Killarney National Park. (Don't miss the famous black Kerry cows.) The tour around the Ring of Kerry was worth the time and a trip to Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney stone was as well!! We spent our evenings at the pubs listening to local musicians. The atmosphere is great and of course the people are very friendly. We felt like one of the locals. I will someday return to Ireland and finish my trip to northern Ireland as I've heard it is also beautiful. I would suggest taking your time to enjoy the natural beauty of Ireland as it can be quite like a fairytale at times. The Irish have lots of great stories to tell as well, so enjoy a pint with the locals. Have a great time!

Deana Gehring May 15th, 1998 01:12 PM

My husband and I are going to Ireland next week and would love some insider information about places to see. We will be staying with friends in Dublin for a couple of days and then plan to rent a car and drive to the western side of the Island. Any suggestions?

Mavis May 16th, 1998 09:10 AM

Two other websites: ireland.iol.ie/~smytho/dublin/ - mostly for young people, but I picked up some ideas on Dublin. And www.wicklow.ie/ if you are planning on going to wicklow. I think most of the other counties have sites, mayo has a good site, but I don't have the url handy. Also sights: we've been once and are planning on a month this Sept. Things we saw and enjoyed: Blarney Castle, Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe (don't try and drive it as we did!), Cliffs of Moher, Muckross House, I think it is called Glenveigh (?) park in northern Ireland. This time we are also planning on seeing: Powerscourt, Russborough House, Bunratty Castle and Durty Nelly's, Aran Islands, Kylemore Abbey. We have rented two cottages - done via the Internet - in Waterford and Galway so are looking forward to settling in and really enjoying all the country has to offer.

Mary Beth Keidl May 16th, 1998 10:28 AM

You have lots of good advice already about places to see--add to that the Finn Valley and Blue Stack Mountains. You may want to include the Shrine at Knock. Also if you don't have your lodging arranged, stay in bed and breakfasts. You may share a bathroom in some of them but what you will share with the Irish families you won't get from a hotel. They are gracious warm people and you will miss the best part of Ireland if you miss the B & Bs.

Peggy May 17th, 1998 04:17 PM

Went to Ireland for the first time in Sept of 1997 and am planning on going back this August. Though the whole country is beautiful and every turn provides a great vista, herd of sheep, or a ruin/round town/castle, I think the following sites were my favorite last year: Kylemore Abby, Ashford Castle (grounds), Connemara and western coast, Aran Islands, Dublin, Trinity College (Long Room - Library), Waterford Plant tour, Ring of Kerry. We hope to go North this time and follow the coast line. Have a great trip!

Helen May 19th, 1998 09:46 AM

I am going to Ireland for the first time in August. I'm wondering what kind of weather to expect and what type of clothes to pack. I already have a good jacket with a hood! What else? Thanks, Helen

Sue May 28th, 1998 11:15 AM

Hi, like you we also read about Durty Nelly's, well we were very disappointed. The service was bad and the food terrible. Recommend you eat in the town you are staying in before going to Bunratty Folk Park.

david May 30th, 1998 05:40 AM

Regarding Sue's comments about Durty Nelly's, I would advise folks ster clear of that place and Bunratty, that is, unless you go during off season. Nelly's/Bunratty is far too touristy and does not at all capture the true spirit of Ireland. Rather, it captures the all too easy, pre-packaged bus tour commercialization that gives foreign travel a bad name. If you're in the west of Eire, explore the narrow winding roads of Clare or Connemara. Get off the beaten path; Ireland is wonderful in this respect. You'll get closer to the locals and have a much nicer experience. I strongly recommend The Rough Guide to Ireland for a critical, no-nonsense look at touring this enchanting land.

Topper Jul 26th, 1999 08:26 AM

For Cindy.

Bev Jul 26th, 1999 08:51 AM

The Irish Tourist Board is a great source for information. Be specific in what you want when you talk to them. Be sure and ask for the Bed & Breakfast Guide. They will also send maps, etc. <BR>Their number is: 1-800-223-6470. <BR>Northern Ireland's number is: 1-800-326-0036. <BR>The Bed & Breakfast Guide is great as it has pictures, descriptions, and prices.

Tina Jul 26th, 1999 09:34 AM

To add one more web site -- try loggin on to ireland-withpatpreston.com There are lots of links to all sorts of relevant sites, and the best part is that the author, Pat Preston, runs a personalized Q&A service on the site. You can post a question, specific or general, and she'll post the answer within a day or two. She's great with recommendations about all aspects of touring Ireland.

kelly Aug 1st, 1999 07:37 AM

Be sure to visit the regatta town of Kinsale in the south. It is fabulous! On the drive there be sure to stop in Cobh (pronounced "Cove") and wee the exhibit on immigration to the US - fascinating.................