Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do You have any question about visiting Belgium ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-have-any-question-about-visiting-belgium-207820/)

filip Nov 16th, 2001 11:27 AM

Do You have any question about visiting Belgium ?

Hy all travelers!<BR><BR>I am a student Marketing in Gent (24), and I love to travel . I know how hard it is to find information about something specific in a country . That is why you can ask me anything about belgium and i'll do my best to answer to your questions .

alice Nov 16th, 2001 02:49 PM

Hei! GREAT! <BR>I need help in figuring out what to do in Belgium. I am planning a trip to Europe for May-June of next year. We will be going to London, Paris and Amsterdam. A stop in Belgium should be the most logical thing to do.. but, I don't have a clue what's there?<BR><BR>What do you suggest for us to do in 2 days? I don't particularly like to see too much museums.<BR><BR>THANKS

Barbara Nov 16th, 2001 06:15 PM

Where would you recommend staying in Brussels? Do you have any recommendations? What about Les Dexseptime? Le Plaza or the Welcome Hotel?

ann Nov 17th, 2001 03:39 AM

I am planning a trip to Paris in March and then taking a train to Brussels and flying back from there. Can you tell me how long the train ride is from Brussels to Bruges - also the cost. Any suggestions of things to do in Bruges or Brussels. Will probably have about 1 day in each. Was also thinking of 1 day in Gent but was told it wasn't as interesting as Bruges or Brussels. What do you think? Also, should we book trains from Paris to Brussels here in the states before we go or can we wait and do it there. One more thing - how easy is it to get to the airport in Brussels. We are on a budget and tend to take public transportation rather than taxis whenever possible. Thanks.

Myriam Nov 17th, 2001 04:05 PM

Ann, train from Brussels to Brugge is 50 minutes. Price depends from your age etc. but max. fare is 400 BF one-way. <BR>In my opinion Gent has much more to offer than Brussels and I'm sure Filip will agree. And if you have one extra day to spend, don't forget Antwerp (my hometown!!).<BR>Traintickets Paris / Brussels: I suppose you prefer the high speed train (Thalys) which will take you to Brussels in 1 hr 25 min. or to Antwerp in 2 hrs 9 min. When we book in advance here in Belgium (max. 120 days) we get a so-called mini fare which is the cheapest and only valid for a certain number of seats. If you book only a few day in advance (you need a reservation!) those seats will most probably be sold out and you will have to pay the full fare (see more information on www.thalys.com). <BR>

BillJ Nov 17th, 2001 06:20 PM

Barbara, I can vouch for the le Dexseptime. It was fantastic for our first night arrival in country. It's right around the corner from the Gran Place. The staff was particularly helpful, and got us a reservation at Armands for a very good dinner. The building is from the 17th century, and our room was large, split level, with a living area and separate bedroom. The breakfast was good, and internet access was available to guests. We would recommend it most highly.

BTilke Nov 17th, 2001 10:19 PM

Sorry, I disagree about Gent having more to offer than Brussels. I live in Brussels and have to travel to Gent frequently on business and there's really no comparison. Brussels has more to see and do than Gent, a much greater variety of restaurants and shopping, better choice of hotels, and so on. For a first time visitor, I'd still pick Brugge over Brussels as a base, but I wouldn't pick Gent over Brussels. Actually, I found Gent just so-so and I've been there at least a dozen times in the last year. For university towns, I think Leuven is more attractive. <BR>The price of a train ticket from Brussels to Brugge varies (week-end, holiday, same day travel, group discount, weekday, first class, second class, etc.). We go first class because second class can get VERY crowded, especially on week-ends (I'm talking standing room only crowded with groups of loud schoolkids and teenagers). But round trip Brussels-Brugge train fare can be as little as $12 or so. <BR>Brugge is better visited on a weekday than on a week-end, particularly during the high season. If you can only go on a week-end, it's still worth seeing, but be prepared for crowded streets.

filip Nov 18th, 2001 10:28 AM

Hello Alice ,<BR><BR>Cool I don't like museums either .<BR>Ofcourse you should stop in Belgium .<BR>Well in Belgium there are several things to do .<BR>I don't know where you're from ( I bet it's the USA...) but you should deffenately go to Bruges . The center is at walking distance . It's a magnificant city , nice old churches , a lot of old pubs that are open until late in the morning.( to much to name ) .<BR>Another option is Gent . I would take Gent instead of Antwerp . Gent is not that big and everything is close to eachother , and this is not so in Antwerp .<BR>Wath I strongly advice to go to is go to the coast ( but to the east part in Knokke )<BR>Hope I help you with this information <BR>

filip Nov 18th, 2001 10:34 AM

Hy Ann<BR>If you want to take the train in Paris to Brussels it is advisable to reserve a seat . <BR>Getting to the aerport in Brussels is very easy to do with the train ; There is a train that goes from three stations in the center that stop in the airport and it's only 30min . Here in Belgium everything is not very far .<BR>The train from Brussels to Bruges is exactly 1 hour ( almost every half hour ) <BR>hope I helped you a bit <BR>Filip

xxx Nov 21st, 2001 01:22 PM

Can you tell me when the Christmas markets are this year from Brussels and Brugge? Thanks.

Myriam Nov 21st, 2001 02:10 PM

Xmas markets in Brugge and Brussels start on November 30.

Bob Jan 21st, 2002 02:57 PM

My wife and I are arriving at Schiphol Airport on 26 April and planning on taking the train to Brussels to see the Royal Greenhouses (staying one night and then going on to Paris). Do you know if we can board the Thalys at the train station in Schiphol or do we have to go into Amsterdam. The Thalys website seems to indicate that you can board at Schiphol. Thanks<BR>

Myriam Jan 22nd, 2002 08:36 AM

You can indeed board on the Thalys in Schiphol. For Thalys you need a reservation!! Train ride takes 2 hrs and 19 min. By regular Benelux highspeed train it takes 2 hrs 43 min. and you don't need a reservation. This option will most probably be cheaper as well. <BR>Both are direct connections as long as you will have to get off at Brussel Zuid (Bruxelles Midi). <BR>You can check it all out on http://www.ns.nl/international/index.cgi (Dutch Railways website).

bob Jan 22nd, 2002 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info! This forum is great!

bill Mar 17th, 2002 06:14 AM

I would appreciate any informatin you could provide about Namur, especially good restaurants. I will be visiting in September of this year. I have a number of old postcards my father brought back from WWII and I am anxious to visit. Thank you for any help you can offer.

cheri Mar 17th, 2002 01:33 PM

We are hoping to do a daytrip from Paris to Bruge March 29th. Could you help us with figuring out what train to take as early as possible from Paris and as late as possible from Brugge back to Paris so as to have as much time as we can in Brugge? I understand that the train station in Brugge is in the center of town and that we can easily walk to almost everything. Is this true? Recommendations on restaurants for lunch? And definitely chcoolate recommendations - Im a chocoholic and want to taste it all! Thanks so much for all your help. Cheri

Myriam Mar 17th, 2002 02:03 PM

First departure Paris Nord on Thalys 6.55am to Bruxelles Midi 8.20am and Bruxelles Midi 8.37am to Brugge 9.27am<BR><BR>Last departure Brugge 8.33pm to Bruxelles Midi 9.23pm and Bruxelles Midi 9.40pm to Paris Nord 11.05pm

Richard Mar 26th, 2002 04:55 PM

Filip...I will be flying out of Brussels on the 14th of May...how close is Brussels Center / Downtown to the airport. Should I stay near the airport? My flight leaves at 12:30pm. <BR><BR>Thank you.

Travis Mar 27th, 2002 03:51 AM

Filip,<BR><BR>I am going to amsterdam for some days then taking a train to paris for some more. Depending on how much we like/dislike amsterdam we might leave early and stop in Belgium, what do you think about stopping in Brugge, good city to spend a night in. What's there to do?