Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you have a pension or hotel to suggest in Siena?

Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

I just got my airline tickets! My first trip to Italy, then on to France (the love of my life - so far) for the second time. Now I want a reservation for my first two nights' accomodation in Siena. Do you have a tourist class hotel to recommend? Or better still a pension with hosts who speak a fair amount of English?
Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:35 AM

I don't know what you mean by a "tourist class" hotel. How much do you want to spend per night?
Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Susan, Thanks for asking. By tourist class I mean the equivalent of a 2 star hotel: clean & comfortable, but not large or luxurious, probably having it's own WC and shower or bath. For a pension I waive the private bathroom requirement. I checked TripAdvisor, and the centrally located Piccolo Hotel Etruria at 65 euros a night sounds like the kind of place I have in mind for a hotel. -kate
Dec 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

Hi kahern,
I stayed at Piccolo Hotel Etruria in September: 50 euros a night for a single with bath. The hotel is clean and very simple, no modern amenities besides a small television. No breakfast or meals are served, however the restaurant right next door is a great place for dinner. The location is perfect, right in the heart of Siena, very close to Il Campo. A good choice if you want a no-frills, clean, budget hotel.
Have a great trip!
Dec 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Azure, it sounds like what I want. Is it very noisey?
Dec 6th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Hi kahern:
The hotel is on a small side street which is fairly quiet, except there were two nights when I could hear people leaving Il Campo beating on drums and chanting, I assumed they were members of a local "contrada" celebrating a victory. One other thing you should know is that the hotel has a curfew of 1 AM. It did not bother me at all since I wanted to wake up early enough to sightsee, but if you like staying out late that may be an issue for you. Hope that helps!
Dec 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Hotel Antica Torre is, if memory serves, a bit more expensive than Piccolo Hotel Etruria but still in tourist class range (it's a 2 star - and rooms come with WC/shower). Host spoke at least some English. Breakfast is optional - and there's a cheaper cafe nearby, also a laundromat, if that is necessary. Street was quiet.
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:28 AM

The Albergo Bernini also sounds like what you might be looking for. I haven't stayed there, but my I've seen it mentioned several times on this board.

Enjoy Siena!