Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you have a crazy amount of vacation time?

Jun 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Is it me, or does it seem like everybody has a ridiculous (I mean that in a good way!) amount of vacation time??? I've been reading posts and I'm seeing people who say they're going three weeks here, four weeks there....etc. I'm 20-something and am working with two weeks to spend in Europe this year (actually have three weeks of vacation, but we can't imagine blowing it all at once! We'd go crazy the rest of the year.) Just curious. I don't want to wait until I'm retired to do lots and lots of traveling!
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Do you have an allocation for statutory holidays? How do you feel about traveling over holiday periods?

I can manage getting in 2.5-week trips by using only 8 or 9 days of vacation time if things are perfectly timed to take advantage of weekends and statutory holidays. Then you have to return to work the next day, of course.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I have an office job (in Paris), and my official vacation time is 10 weeks a year. But I have to admit that this is somewhat unusual -- the law only provides for a minimum of 5 weeks vacation a year. At the moment I have a backlog of 4 weeks from last year, plus all of this year's vacation to take, and I just can't figure out how to get away from the office. Well, at least I took last Monday off.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM

I am also a 20-something who desperately wishes I had more vacation time to travel. I asked a similiar question to your last year on the Asia board and got a ton of responses.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34701329
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Yes.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I have 3 weeks of vacation time, but often take a couple of weeks off without pay to boost my vacation time. I find that if you request it far enough in advance it is pretty easy to get approved.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I take 3-4 months off every year for travelling.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:33 AM

It used to be that you get one week for the first year at a company and then two the next. I think that has changed over the years but I have been at my place for so long I have racked up almost six weeks a year.

It really depends on where you are working and what you are doing. My friend used to be a travel agent and went on fam trips all the time as part of her job.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM

When I started work with one of the Big 4 accounting firms I had 5 weeks of vacation/personal time. Pretty nice for a 22-yr-old! I left public accounting in early 2005 and switched over to private industry... I get 3 weeks but only because of my graduate degree, otherwise it would have been 2 weeks. We try to take one long trip (14 days) to Europe every year and then fit in a short 4 or 5 day trip over a weekend or holiday.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I get 4 paid vacation weeks a year. Strategically placed, it can become 5 weeks.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:37 AM

I used to have a fair amount by U.S. standards, because I kept the same job for 12 years (4 weeks paid, 1 week unpaid).

Changed jobs and was back to 1 week, now up to 2 - ouch!
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac -- I've heard that Europeans get a lot of vacation time, but that's outrageous. I would be amazed if 5% of (working) Americans have that much time off. You're lucky!
And yes, I get holidays off, but I find it's hard to incorporate those days into vacations -- usually airfares are much more expensive, and crowds are a problem at lots of destinations. Thanks, cruisinred, I'll check out that thread. Saltymuffin -- I've thought about unpaid time off, but then you're getting into whether you can still pay the mortgage with all that time off and travel!
Go longhorns
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM

>>>>
I get 3 weeks but only because of my graduate degree, otherwise it would have been 2 weeks.
>>>>

i guess people with graduate degrees require more rest, relaxation, and family time as compared to the uneducated slobs. seriously, i never understood the american way of awarding more holiday time based on things like this. here in the UK some places will give more time based on years of service or seniority but generally the percentage increase over everyone else is very minor...

e.g. standard time for all = 24 days, 2 more days if you have been with the company over 10 years. not 50% more for 5+ years with the company, manager level or graduate degree, etc.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM

walkinaround,

I certainly wasn't implying an advanced degree makes anyone more worthy or less worthy of additional vacation. My true opinion is that experience at the job is a better way of allocating extra vacation.

That said, I happily take my extra week of vacation whether or not I agree with my company's reason for granting it. I easily work over 450 hours of OT every year so I don't feel bad about it.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:54 AM

I am at the maximum offered (31 days of personal time, which includes 'sick' time) after 32 years at my company. I've had this amount for quite a few years now....
You younguns will have to "put in your time" to get there!

p.s. I'm personally not comfortable with vacations longer than 2 weeks at a time, partly b/c of the dog and partly b/c of work.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I work for myself and give myself as much vacation time as I please - usually a total of about 2-3 months a year.

But they're always working vacations.
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Every place I've ever worked has always awarded vacation time based on years worked, and I've finally worked with a company long enough (over 10 years) to get 4 weeks per year. So, yes, that is better than most.

However, I've discovered that by no using up every hour of vacation each year, and being able to carry time over year to year, I have a total accumulated time over 600 hours. (But that also includes any sick time, too) So I would have to say that is a crazy amount of time, definitely.
Jun 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Well, when I was looking for a job a few years ago I refused to go back to the 2 week standard. My boyfriend recently was in the same position and negoitated a third week.

I am looking again and figure that for the level I am looking at three weeks is kind of the miniumum. Contrary to what you hear, most places will negoiate this just like salary.
Jun 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM

St. Cirq, what line of work are you in?
Jun 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM

jenandstephen, I know I'm lucky. My company gives 7 weeks to everybody, 4 bonus days if you take at least 12 days vacation between 1 NOV and 30 APR (or 2 days if you take just 6 days in that time frame), a couple of days for seniority, plus a couple of days extra if you are management level (not fair, but I won't refuse it), and then another 11 days (or 10 days for non-management) due to the 35-hour work week law. Since my office works 36 1/2 hours a week, the 11 days are compensatory time.
A lot of people say that the labor laws in France are hurting the economy, but one industry that has benefited from all of this extra time is the leisure industry, because people spend a lot more time in restaurants, on 3 or 4 day weekends, at the movies, playing sports or taking personal development courses.

But to point out another disastrously unfair statistic, in studies of this new leisure time, it has been found that men spend almost all of the extra time in leisure activities while women spend more time cleaning the house and taking care of the children.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO