Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you ever go back and read your trip reports for fun?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest I rarely go back and read mine unless I am looking for a specific piece of information. However, just a few minutes ago I found my Umbria/Rome trip report from this past March because I was looking for the name of the restaurant in Montefalco that we ate at. Anyways, I started reading the whole thing and it brought back such wonderful memories. I usually write my trip reports as soon as I get home so I don't forget the small details, but its those small details that are the most fun to read as they slip from my memory after awhile....thelittle things like the cat that followed us around Trevi and the fantastic chocolate croissant that I had at the cafe in Carsulae that I forgot about. Its great to bring back all of these memories, especially when I'm sitting at work! I think I'm going to search for my other trip reports right now!

Tracy
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Our last trip to London/Paris, I wrote in my travel journal almost every night. I hadn't looked in it that much, until my wife started scrapbooking our trip and wanted me to write in it.
Being somewhat lazy, I decided just to copy in bits and pieces from the journal and it turned out really nice - there were comments in there that where written on the day the pictures were taken, in some cases at the very spots as well!.
I just bought a new travel journal for our upcoming trip to france - will write in it every day again.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Hi Tracy ~ I was re-reading one of mine when someone topped it with a new question.

I found myself not only reliving the journey but being humbled again by the kind remarks from our fellow Fodorites. So many people saying so many nice things, it was truly wonderful and made continuing to type a trip report great fun.

Lovely to look on the memory of a journey well taken.

Especially lovely to be so appreciated by others that you shared your journey.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Tiff, I absolutely agree. Part of the fun in re-reading my trip report is all of the nice things that fellow fodorites have said about it! Its such a joy to travel, and and to see that others enjoy reading about my experiences makes it all the better.

Tracy
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM

I don't do much in the way of trip reports, though I started one on Spain. I got distracted and didn't finish it, but my sister Maryfran did.

I have re-read her trip reports on our 2004 trip to Spain numerous times as well as this year's trip to Eastern Europe and Denmark. She writes so well that it's simply enjoyable to read and re-read her reports. I enjoy her sense of humor, and reading the report brings back great memories.

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Absolutely. I am mostly writing the report for myself anyway, and it is a bonus if other people enjoy it. Reading my report helps me relive the trip. I also love to look at my pictures.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Nikki, I was just browsing through my pictures yesterday! I love reliving my vacations, even if it saddens me because I long to return. Then I just start thinking about the trips I already have planned and about the new albums I get to add, which helps build up my excitement even more.

Tracy
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I had fun writing my trip report right away once I got home because in a way I felt like I was still there. I also agree with the comment about not wanting to forget the details. I just finished it and I've already re-read it once! (Whew - I didn't realize how long it was!)

It is a bonus if anyone comments on it, but I really wanted to 'give back' if someone was searching for info later on because I got so many good tips before my departure. I hope it helps someone else someday!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmm... i never write trip reports so there's nothing to go back and read -lol!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:55 AM
lyb

yes, I have and it's great. I remember things I may have forgotten or simply enjoy the trip all over again. It's great!!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't written a trip report for fodors (yet?) but I write them for my website and do sometimes get hooked into rereading them - really kickstarts the wanderlust. I don't reread my travel journals though, once I've written the report.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM
lyb

btw, I don't reread the trip reports I've posted, I reread my journal with all the little details and fun things that happened.

28 years ago my best friend and I went to Hawaii for 3 weeks and kept a journal. I still have it and about a year ago, I saw it and started reading it. It brought back great memories and a lot of laughter!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I print mine and put them in the photo album for the trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM

I post my on my website.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

I'm not very good at writing a journal while on vacation so this is the only place where I write my trip reports. I do keep a small notebook with me to jot down restaurant names and things of that nature, but not a full journal. I wish I was more diligent in that department because it would be even more fun to read what I wrote as they were happening!

Thanks everyone for responding!

Tracy